The Yamaha CP-70/80 sound

Lillefuss

• Members

Greeetings everybody,

I have long wondered about the identity of the mysterious instrument that provides the smooth, slightly grand piano-flavoured sound that are so evident in numerous songs from the 80's... only recently have I learned that it's the Yamaha CP-70/80 electric grand that I'm thinking of.

As you might figure, I really dig the sound of these things :) Other than getting a real CP-70 or 80 (which, due to several factors, is not an option), are there any synths/modules/digital pianos - old or new - that provides a good approximation of the CP-70/80 sound?

Regards,

Sam

• Members

Got back from Guitar Center earlier today and lo and behold a shiny, red Nord Electro was sitting there prominently among the Tritons/Fantoms/etc. I had never played one before and I spent a good 30 minutes going between the various modes. I was very impressed with the CP80 on the Electro - much nicer than I've been able to come up with on either my Motif or EX5. I'd put that one on my short list if I were you. Not to mention the kick-butt B3, clav, and rhodes...

• Members

I have an Electro, and really enjoy the CP80 samples, its such a nice dreamy instrument, for endless improvisations. Recommended!

in action: http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.a.lingbeek/index2.htm/JointFunkture/judithssong.mp3

Another, very cool, option is to find a Kawai EP608. This is an electric upright, that has the same principle as the CP series pianos. It is a lot smaller, and can be had for next to nothing, if you find one. I paid 350 euro. I swapped it for my Rhodes, but I still feel sorry that I had to let this wicked instrument go!

made a website for it, inclusive mp3 samples:

http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.a.lingbeek/index2.htm/Kawai_EP608/epsite.html

• Members

Originally posted by Roald

Another, very cool, option is to find a Kawai EP608. This is an electric upright, that has the same principle as the CP series pianos. It is a lot smaller, and can be had for next to nothing, if you find one. I paid 350 euro. I swapped it for my Rhodes, but I still feel sorry that I had to let this wicked instrument go!

Wow. I totally want one now. :eek:

Kiru

• 2 months later...
  • Members

That isn't bad per se, is it? I'm a fairly new user; perhaps new people can contribute to older topics. But you're right, when I read your post, I checked the date of the previous post (the one before mine). I agree my posting isn't very revolutionary as well. I just think that the more answers/opinions on question topics are posted, the better it is for the guy/gal who started (at least, for me that counts).

That's all. No deeper thoughts. If this thread is really dead, I presume this will have been the last posting :cool:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Ive checked out the Nord Electro and i love it for all my basic sounds. I have M-tron (mellotron VST instrument) on my computer. What kind of amp suits these instruments best? I like the sounds but i always feel like they need more weight.

Tube maybe?

I read in some keyboard magazine that Keane mixes CP-70B sounds with a CP-70 sound that is sent through a Line 6 pod that is overdriving. To give a little more weight. I like the sounds but i always feel like they need more weight

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My Motif ES has a pretty good CP70/80 sample it in, if you really want one. Having owned two Electric Grands in the seventies, I think the current high end romplers have a more realisitic piano sound on them, and if you really want it to sound like a CP70/80, just turn the treble WAY up and you're good to go. :D The CP70/80 didn't have a sound board, so the sound is appropriate for the design. At the time, they were just about the second coming. :)

Mike T.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi Lillefuss

Well...your post is some years back

But By using my Yamaha PSR450....with voice CP80 in dual with Bright Piano....and adding the sound of my Roland MKS20....

I get a very good CP70 sound....with some reverb from my Vox AD30VT Amp.

It sounds best by using the PSR450 speakers...with the MKS20 driving the Vox amp..

I now need a sustain pedal for the PSR450..and I think i will have it :)

John

Archived