MicroKorg Vocoder

• Members

Hmm...well i'm trying to complete my setup and i was playing around on a microkorg vocoder synth and it seemed great but this was a while ago, i liked a few of the sounds and pitches i got from a couple of the things. And now im looking to complete my setup by buying something like this. I want the kinds of sounds that this microkorg produces. I have a few questions though about this for anyone who owns one and who dosn't own one.

1. Is there anything else like this, bigger and possibly better? (is there anything like the VOCODER where you can mic?)

2. This runs on batteries. This has been a question of mine. Do i want something that runs on batteries?

3. Can I plug this into an amp? sorry if this is a really really dumb question but i don't know much about the vocoder other than i love its sound.

note: i have a piano and recording/loop box for effects setup and i just need something like this with great wierd synth sounds and this voicing thing.

so just mainly like are there any other products that do the same kinda thing.

• Members

You gotta look at it like this : The innards of the MS2000 are the same as that of the MS2000B, are the same as the MicroKorg. Except the cosmetics - the MS2KB has better DAC's, new presets, and a microphone input on top. The MicroKorg is simply a smaller package with not as much knobs to edit directly.

The MicroKorg has a nifty extra called Formant Freeze - basically, the sound you're making (ooh, aah) gets its parameters analysed, and you'll get a vocal-sounding filter.

Personally, I'd go for an MS2K if I needed the keys and wanted to look cool on stage (hey - you gotta admit that it does look nifty), I'd go for an MS2000 if I already had a controller, and I'd go for a MicroKorg if I'd already have a controller and wanted something fun to play with. Plus, it's a really cheap way to get the MS sounds.

As for what one would recommend; there's only one person able to answer that. You yourself. Go to the store, try the models, make a choice based on budget and needs.

• Members

Originally posted by glarestreak

2. This runs on batteries. This has been a question of mine. Do i want something that runs on batteries?

umm... the sh101, cz101, mc202, tb303, etc all run on batteries. it's a very useful feature, especially w/ laptops or in live situations...

• Members

Well the vocoder might not be the best reason to buy the MicroKorg, I think it's still a kick ass little unit!!!

My very first immpression of the MK was "great... cheap looking gimmick'. After owning one, I can attest, this is a mean little synth. Although not as warm as an ION it can get some pretty, dirty and wicked sounds. I bought it just for the novelty (and b/c it cost me nothing out of pocket). Great sound, easy to program, and the vocoder sounds good.

My favorit features about the MK is that it CAN run on batteries. It has a AC adapter or 6 AA batteries. With so much gear on stage to plug in, it seems nice to have something that's free and I could walk around with. Some people have written off the MK and Korg's MS2000 as too cold and harsh sounding, but I think that's the beauty behind this little monster at live shows. Even at low frequencies (Synth bass, hits and pads) this unit cuts right through the mix, with a nice fat presence. I didn't get the same effect from my Pk6. And someone in a previous post said that the presets are garbage?!?! Nuts! I've found many usable sounds right out of the box. The ones I didn't like I wrote over.

The condenser mic is garbage. If you're playing live know the input needs to be preamped. I'll probably buy a cheap preamp pedal inbetween the MK and the mic if I plan on using the vocoder.

I haven't heard the Alesis ION (bulky stage synth) but that synth has a a 40 band vocoder instead of 8 with the MicroKorg.

So to answer your questions

#1: Yes the MS200K has a 16 band Vocoder and the Alesis ION has a 40 band, Not neccesarily better but more variety.

#2 batteries... yeah who cares. It's just an option. My wireless rauns on batteries, In fact I wish that I diddn't have to plug in half my gear.

#3 It's a synth... NOT a toy. Very powerful too. The small size and plasticy feel is just to keep costs down and to help market this little suck. This is not a toy keyboard! It's a synth, plug it into an amp... a PA...

Good luckPICT0033.JPG

"Notice no plug...."

Archived