New tracks - JSRobots (any feedback would be helpful)

• Members

My first time playing with 8bit arcade-like sounds, and it came out a bit more upbeat then my usual stuff. It's called visiting pictures.

http://www.electromancer.com/showTrack.php?id=1082994313

This other one was another first for me as well, it's a depressed downtempo vocal sort of thing. Called The day i die (yes that's me squakin on the vox)

http://www.electromancer.com/showTrack.php?id=1082994487

I posted these late last night i didn't realize they were so large. So i put smaller versions on http://jsrobots.dmusic.com it also has lo-fi streaming for modem users. Sorry about that.

thanks for listening,

eric

• Members

hello tai mai shus,

heard both tracks...well i didnt like the first but second one is pretty interesting. i like the way you've laid the vocals on this one - a haunting melodic character that they lend to the song makes it interesting. a little change i was expecting in the track never came...nicely done.

bye

• Members

Very nice songs indeed, great atmosphere and flow :)

One criticism though, concerning the production: Both of them are "middy" IMO - mind, not mid heavy, it's just that there is not much going on at the two ends of the frequency spectrum :)

This makes them feel ever so slightly "flat" where the songs and sounds actually warrant a more 3 D production. Basically more "sparkle and depth" is what i'd like to hear :)

Suggestion: Maybe monitor with different sets of speakers to hear the variations?

Whatever, i liked the music and hope it helps :)

• Members

thanks audiopack and grumphh for listening and for posting your thoughts. Grumphh i think i hear what your talking about, i was a bit guilty of monitoring on headphones so perhaps this might be part of the problem. I'm going to look into this some more, thanks for the advice. Audiopack, thanks for the kind words on the vocals. The fact that they were pleasent at any level exceeded my expectations. LOL

Does anyone here actually like hearing thier own voice played back?

thanks again for the listen and advice,

eric

• Members

The first one is - well, I really like it. It's just that it sounds very low-bit-rateish which isn't that awesome. Plus, the square lead that dies away at 2.30 is a little bit too loud.

I don't know if you can solve it directly by whacking a mastering VST in the chain :).

The second one - about hearing yourself sing, that's something I absolutely hate when I'm playing with the vocoder. I yet have to get a quality mic to record some stuff, but I'll leave that to an MC-friend of mine (I'm not a miracle with lyrics, either). Right now the drums sound quite sampled - maybe you could throw in a second kit and layer it, using subtle volume + detunes to make it never sound the same? Also, I'd personally replace some of the rolls by 'natural' ones (try reggae cd's :) ) Again, this one might be blessed by a mastering VST.

• Members

Nothing wrong with them technically, but I find both tracks a little too mellow, nothing really ever happens to grab the listener's attention.

Or perhaps that's how you wanted it?

Japanese Seizure Robots kind of suggested something to me a bit more industrial and well, erm, epileptic?

• Members

Tai Mai Shus

I've just listened to the second one I'll give the first one a go later.

However - digging the truely mellow ambience of the second track. Interesting to hear the guitar work, which I thought was nicely balanced and controlled. I always 'go-ape' with guitar work, but this was adroitly placed within your melody.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but occaisionally your work reminds me of Goldfrapp, very nice. I thought the vocals cool aswell - did I hear a female voice in there somewhere ? Who dat then? :)

As ever TMS love hearing your creations in whatever form it takes and although I've yet to hear the 'Happy tune' I think this sombre darker toned stuff is more my bag and interesting to my ears....

....But alas I shall return with a full review of first track...

Class stuff.

:)

• Members

Hey TMS

Just listened to the first one.

Very 'nintendo game' in atmosphere. Upbeat and rapid - that was cool, but possibly overall as I suspected I prefer the darker stuff.... Not very helpfull I know ;)

I liked the little high 'note drops' that came in and sort of added a dream like quality to it and this is the srtength of all your work - that ability to take the listener beyond the confines of the four walls, that I currently be trapped in - (Pissing down with rain outside!)

Vocals worked nicely - vocoder doing its mojo I see... He,he.

Two cool new additions to the Japanese Robot collection.

:cool:

Loreman

• Members

Hey TMS,

I really like your stuff. Your tunes always have a very "finished" quality to them. Of the two offered here I prefer the second, mainly because its a bit darker. Your vocals come off really well IMO. I don't have advice for you, in fact, your the kind of person I need to get advice FROM :)

Great job as usual.

• Members

sorry for not getting back to this thread earlier. I just got free.

@yoozer

thanks for the listen, I've been looking into the mastering vst, the first one I found was voxengo, I'm going to check it out this weekend. I'm hoping it might provide that illusive sparkle grumphh was talking bout as well. But it might just be a problem with the way I arranged the tracks.

@purity_control

Your not the first one to mention the name not fitting the music, my own girlfriend has been on about this for quite some time. I just found the name amusing, which is why I picked it. But it does sort of bring a quirkier connotation then my music supplies. Perhaps I'll change it if I can find something more appropriate.

@benski

Hey man EMs great, ill stop by to check out your stuff.

@loreman

Thank you, I always appreciate your feedback. I agree with you about the darker stuff, happier songs have never been my strong point. It's just after writing the day I die, I felt I needed to try and break out of that at least for a moment to see if I could do it. You also hit the nail on the head when you described it as nintendo like. The sounds are from a nintendo vst-i which I wrote the song around. They just make me think happier thoughts for some reason, I thought the song sounded a bit more optimistic then some of my past tunes. Which was sort of refreshing for me.

@sinner6

thanks alot man, I've been fretting over the vocals on that track since I posted it. I'm glad you felt they worked. Sets my mind at ease some. And as for the advice, anytime and thanks :)

Thanks for listen everyone and the feedback, it meant alot.

eric

Archived