OT: Man, I love this trick....

Kirumamoru

• Members

I get it.

Our eye is fooled because the red lines stay red when the colour is supposed to be black, but the red lines change to black when the colour appears green. I think it's because it appears that we're looking at a colour image through a red filter (red cellophane?), and the greyscale stuff just stays greyscale relative the toe red, but the green actually turns the red into black.

I'm not a colour theorist, so I could be completely wrong, or i could be right but not explaining it correctly. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members
Originally posted by Kirumamoru

gridbignew.gif

Here's a version with true greyscale. As you can see, the ''illusion'' of color persists.

Kiru

Yes, THAT is greyscale. The ones you postet in the first post where not grayscale.

• Members

Originally posted by AvS

Yes, THAT is greyscale. The ones you postet in the first post where not grayscale.

Yes. I know. That's why I went to the trouble to edit that picture and post it to demonstrate that the principle is still sound.

Kiru

• Members

I think that the same principles might be used in MPEG video compression as well, though I'm not sure... at least, the idea that we don't really need as much color information as we would get in uncompressed RGB video.

Kiru

Archived