OT: Man, I love this trick....

Kirumamoru

• Members

Yes, there is a program that will do this for you. I forget what it's called, something like ASCII IMAGE or IMAGE2TEXT, something like that...

You can even choose what the text says or use just specific characters (01, etc).

Thanks for sharing....nice reminder for me!

• Members

Originally posted by noonehere

Yes, there is a program that will do this for you. I forget what it's called, something like ASCII IMAGE or IMAGE2TEXT, something like that...

You can even choose what the text says or use just specific characters (01, etc).

Thanks for sharing....nice reminder for me!

...?

I think we're talking about different things here. This doesn't have anything to do with making pictures out of text.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by benskia

erm....i just see a closer image of some vials and christmas trees.

what you on about?

If you zoom in enough, you find that the pic is black + white, with horizontal red lines interlaced through it. The only colour in the picture is red. :-)

• Members

How come it never takes more than a couple seconds for me to spot that kind of tricks? ;) I knew it had to be something, and when you talked about zooming in, I simply moved my head closer to the screen, and .. wow.

Pretty cool!

(typo, haven't started drinking yet)

• Members

Originally posted by AvS

Then how come this color, 84AAAA, show up using the eyedropper tool in Photoshop?

Good question.... I'm getting all kinds of shades of blue when zoomed in with Photoshop. Switching the image to grayscale mode completely changes those shades to actual grays, so they were definitely not gray to begin with. I'm referring to image 1, I didn't zoom in on the second yet.

• Members

AvS is right. there are blues and greens and all sorts of color in these images besides red. the trick is that it -looks- as if it's only greyscale and red when you zoom in. a simple eyedropper sampling in Photoshop proves this.

• Members

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

there are blues and greens and all sorts of color in these images besides red. a simple eyedropper sampling in Photoshop proves this.

yup. i had to prove it to myself and there are def shades of blue/green.

• Members

Originally posted by Six Black Roses

Simply knowing how the human eye views colors and how the monitor displays them will reveal that the images are not in fact grayscale.

But they are grayscale photos, and the point is that maybe we dont understand how the human eye views color.

Note that the image is linked from Wendy Carlos's site at

http://www.wendycarlos.com/colorvis/color.html

where there is an elaborate explanation.

• Members

Wade, do you have any graphics program or any utility that'll allow you to see the color of any pixel in numbers? The image is not grayscale. Grayscale values have absolutely no color saturation. If you look at the pixels with an eyedropper, you'll see that the colors are actually heavily saturated when compared to 100% grayscale.

Hell, I can notice the saturation just by looking at the pixels. I don't know how relevant this may be in this specific case, but I've visually callibrated my monitor to a gamma of about 2.2. Long story short, this is basically a process involved in tweaking your monitor to display "correct" colors, etc. Keep in mind that a lot of users on here just adjusted their brightness and maybe contrast from the day they first got their monitor.

• Members

Wade, do you have any graphics program or any utility that'll allow you to see the color of any pixel in numbers? The image is not grayscale. Grayscale values have absolutely no color saturation. If you look at the pixels with an eyedropper, you'll see that the colors are actually heavily saturated when compared to 100% grayscale.

Yes, and you're right that the individual pixels are not quite truly gray NOW (almost, but not quite). However that is unimportant in this case. They are nevertheless grayscale images, and if you dont bother to read the full explanation, then of course you've missed the entire point, which is amazingly substantial.

• Members

Evidently you're telling me I'm wrong where I didn't claim to have had a standpoint in the first place. Hmmm.

I was simply saying that these particular pictures are not 100% grayscale, but are only relatively grayscale. True grayscale is when all the colors are present in equal brightness (ex. R-100, G-100, B-100).

My only claim is that those pictures I've downloaded contain more than just solid red and various shades of gray.

• Members

Evidently you're telling me I'm wrong where I didn't claim to have had a standpoint in the first place. Hmmm.

I was simply saying that these particular pictures are not 100% grayscale, but are only relatively grayscale. True grayscale is when all the colors are present in equal brightness (ex. R-100, G-100, B-100).

My only claim is that those pictures I've downloaded contain more than just solid red and various shades of gray.

The problem is that you cant get there from that starting point.

Not wrong, but it is a moot point, so to speak.

But OK, lets just say they were grayscale images before some unconventional processing. Also true, but not moot.

My only claim is that you're missing a really good story in the full explanation at http://www.wendycarlos.com/colorvis/color.html

Archived