Yamaha KX88

Mai0430

• Members

I need some advises please, I am thinking of getting a used 88 keys keyboard for my 2 young sons to take piano lesson. We already have a Baldwin spinet...but since we are now temporarily away from home for 2 years...it is not with us.

As there seems to be so many talks of the old Yamaha KX88, I am looking into getting it...but before I do...I need some help please.

1) Is the KX88 a keyboard with sounds? Or does it needs to connect to somekind of speaker?

2) What does it means by "MIDI Master control keyboard"

3) This is sound dumb of me but ...is this keyboard the type that we can just plug it in and play...?

As you all can see I have no knowledge of music...or musical instrument...I was very lucky to discover this forum by accident. Thank you.

• Members

The KX-88 is a MIDI controller only. No sounds at all. You would need another MIDI slave device to make the sounds. You would also need some amplification and speakers.

As a controller keyboard, the KX-88 is somewhat out-of-date as far as MIDI features goes, for instance, it can only transmit on 2 MIDI channels. Programming it can be tricky due to the cryptic display. The main advantage of the KX-88 is the keys have a great feel to them. For exercises, the keys would help strength development. Nice weighted action that really allows expressive playing.

I bought one when I was taking lessons, and loved it. I later sold it due to space limitations, and have missed it many times. I wish I still had room for one.

Also, it weighs a ton :)

• Members

Hey Mai0430,

I can answer your questions.

1) The KX88 does not have any sounds. You need to plug it in to a sound module or rack. It does need to connect to a speaker system. It has no onboard speakers.

2) "MIDI master control keyboard" means that It is MIDI compatible and it is a controller that uses MIDI sounds. For example, you can plug it in to a computer with MIDI and you can access a whole world of sounds you can play on the keyboard.

3) Basically Yes. You can hook it up to a sound module or rack, or a PC(with MIDI) and you can play. It will take a little while to set up the MIDI on your computer, though.

WARNING: The KX88 is EXTREMLY heavy. You will need help carrying it.

Hope that helped you out. Its a nice controller with weighted keys, but its darn heavy.

p120dUdE

• Members

Thank you to all that reply so quickly. It really helps.

I was going to buy it ...but now that mean I may not...since everyone mentioned that there is no sounds...and I don't have any good speaker that I can connect it into.

From the description of the weighted keys and what I have read, this keyboard sounds very nice though.

Many thanks again

:)

Archived