Newbie needs some keyboard advice !

• Members

First of all, I am new to keyboards. I have been playing guitar for 17 years, but have never even learned how to use a drum machine. I'll probably ask some pretty basic questions here because I am confused.

I would really like to get a keyboard or some type of sequencer so I can start putting some songs together. I would like to lay down some beats, etc. Here is the deal...... a friend of mine is really good at rapping and writing lyrics. he has been after me to make some music for him to rap over. I just can't swing it with my guitar alone. The other day he brought me a CD of a few songs he made with his other friend. His friend created the entire songs with a Korg Trition (unsure which model). It sounded amazing. he had nice rhythm beats with layers of keyboards and all kinds of cool sounds going on. It was perfect.

This is exactly what I want to do, but I don't know where to start. I am not even sure what a sequencer is or how it works. I have basically $1,000 to spend, but not much more. The Korg Triton LE goes for $999 and I can get a "B Stock" one from Music123.com for $799. But I am not sure if this is what I need. I also heard the Korg Electribe units are good for this type of thing. I can play some keyboards, so I would rather a keyboard, but am open to suggestions. I don't need anything sick a$$, so if there is a lower cost solution, I am all ears. Maybe a cheaper keyboard that will allow me to also lay down some nice beats.

Also, I will not be using this strictly for hip hop. I enjoy all types of music from rock to techno.

Thanks for any advice!! ---------Joe

• Members

Prefers the Triton LE out of the Triton series. Better sound set & cost of brigin the others up to that level is too much when added to bsic cost of the other tritons.

However for your needs I'd suggest An EMU MK6 or VK6 with the others sound rom added. Much less total cost, & better groove box ability imo. Granted you'd have to get em used since recently discontinued. But new thy sold or $600 each. So you could get both used for less then one triton le. And have more plus flexibility of 2 boards.

• Members

you basically have 2 options:

1) hardware

2) pc and software

1) the nice thing about hardware is the hands on interface (more inspiring than computers IMO) and the portability. the downside is the price and limitation in options compared to software

if you go hardware, you could get a good piece of gear for each function you need or you could go for the all-in-one solution that does every function acceptable to good: workstations like the Triton, Motif, or Fantom. with your budget i suggest the latter. workstations have a sequencer to record into, effects, sounds, drumkits and a sampler (Triton LE has this as an option that costs extra).

as to the quality of the different boards, use the search function on this forum and check out the user reviews on the main harmony central page. i don't have any experience with these workstations myself.

2) pc and software have the advanage of endless expansion options for a reasonable price. for $1000 you might be able to get a decent pc and maybe a midi controller and some software. if you already have a decent pc even better!

downsides are: uninspiring interface IMO and less portable.

you'll need a decent computer, a decent soundcard (not a soundblaster ;) ), a midi controller (a keyboard to control softsynths), an audio interface to connect the guitar to, a sequencer program and some softsynths.

recommended sofware:

- Reason 2.5: synths, sample players, drum computer, effects, sequencer all in one nice package. you can't sample sounds with or record audio into the program.

- for the latter you can use a sequencer program like Cubase, Sonar or Logic

I use a Cubase SX/Reason 2.5 combo myself, together with some softsynths, and Wavelab, Soundforge and Recycle for sampling and wave editing.

I also own an Ensoniq SQ-80 and a Yamaha PSR-9000.

so which option you choose is a matter of budget and of personal preference. the Triton LE is a good option on the hardware side.

• Members

Originally posted by Puta

you basically have 2 options:

1) hardware

2) pc and software

1) the nice thing about hardware is the hands on interface (more inspiring than computers IMO) and the portability. the downside is the price and limitation in options compared to software

if you go hardware, you could get a good piece of gear for each function you need or you could go for the all-in-one solution that does every function acceptable to good: workstations like the Triton, Motif, or Fantom. with your budget i suggest the latter. workstations have a sequencer to record into, effects, sounds, drumkits and a sampler (Triton LE has this as an option that costs extra).

as to the quality of the different boards, use the search function on this forum and check out the user reviews on the main harmony central page. i don't have any experience with these workstations myself.

2) pc and software have the advanage of endless expansion options for a reasonable price. for $1000 you might be able to get a decent pc and maybe a midi controller and some software. if you already have a decent pc even better!

downsides are: uninspiring interface IMO and less portable.

you'll need a decent computer, a decent soundcard (not a soundblaster
;)
), a midi controller (a keyboard to control softsynths), an audio interface to connect the guitar to, a sequencer program and some softsynths.

recommended sofware:

- Reason 2.5: synths, sample players, drum computer, effects, sequencer all in one nice package. you can't sample sounds with or record audio into the program.

- for the latter you can use a sequencer program like Cubase, Sonar or Logic

I use a Cubase SX/Reason 2.5 combo myself, together with some softsynths, and Wavelab, Soundforge and Recycle for sampling and wave editing.

I also own an Ensoniq SQ-80 and a Yamaha PSR-9000.

so which option you choose is a matter of budget and of personal preference. the Triton LE is a good option on the hardware side.

Can you talk to me a little more about the PC option. I already have a decent PC with a good soundcard (Echo Mia). I currently use Guitar Tracks Pro to record guitar (I have a mic and an Audio Buddy mic pre amp). How much would it run me for the midi controller and the software. Someone actually just gave me Acid Pro 4.0 for free. Is this something I could use?

Also, I don't understand what softsynths are or how to use them.

Thanks for the help!!

• Members

Originally posted by codecontra

Can you talk to me a little more about the PC option. I already have a decent PC with a good soundcard (Echo Mia). I currently use Guitar Tracks Pro to record guitar (I have a mic and an Audio Buddy mic pre amp). How much would it run me for the midi controller and the software. Someone actually just gave me Acid Pro 4.0 for free. Is this something I could use?

Thanks for the help!!

i haven't used Acid Pro myself, but as far as i know you can record guitar and vocals into it. it also has Rewire compatibility, which is a nice option if you are going to record Reason into it.

Reason 2.5 costs around $350 and a decent midi controller can be had from $100 to $400 (and more)

good options:

- Edirol PCR-30 $179

32 full-sized keys; 8 knobs and 8 sliders that you can assign to controls in softsynths

- Korg MicroKontrol $299

37 mini-keys; 16 assignable pads (excellent for drum programming); 8 knobs and 8 sliders

- Novation Remote 25 $399

25 keys with aftertouch; 16 knobs, 8 sliders and an x/y-pad

(all prices taken from audiomidi.com)

there are others (including ones with more keys), but i'm too tired to think of them now. if you use the search function you will find a lot of threads about midi controllers and midi keyboards.

another option would be to use a (older) hardware synth as midi keyboard. you then get the sounds and synthesis options of that synth as a bonus, but they often lack assignable knobs and sliders for realtime control.

Acid Pro, Reason 2.5 and a midi controller should get you started for between $530 and $750! you can then later add more soft or hard synths to expand your options. Reason should be able to keep you busy for a while though!

• Members

yea sort of, the triton le has its own unique sounds and so does reason, but with enough samples u will get close. (little snippets of recorded instruments that u can play, this is what the triton uses, it has samples inside it) http://www.propellerheads.se/

get the demo to reason. and try to actually use it don't just listen to the demo songs. also there are plenty of other progrmas many of the cheaper than reason. orion, fruity loops, and others, some even free like buzz www.buzzmachines.com

Archived