Does Sampletank just suck?

Boom

• Members

4 gigs of sounds and no synthesis architecture at all, what you see is what you get. Want to route the mod wheel to an LFO and add a little vibrato? Not with Sampletank. Want to pan those drums a little differently? Think again! Its a $300 Virtual Sound Canvas. :rolleyes:

• Members

Shhhh! Kim might hear you! ;):D

I couldn't get the demo to work properly, as for a while I was almost convinced it was flexible and good sounding. If it is really that restricted - and it sounds its moreso than a typical ROMpler, then it sucks more than I imagine. :cool::eek:

• Members

so you're all saying that SampleTank2 is not a cheap alternative, but rather a waste of money? good to know since i was just looking at it yesterday...i had finally given in to all of Kim's praise and took a serious look at it. Always best to hear both sides of the story, ay? :)

-G

• Members

I dissagree with all of this negativity... I own both Sampletank 2 and a Motif ES and I still think Sampletank 2 is a very powerful synth.... In fact I would rate it as one of my top 4 favorite soft synths, along with Reaktor 4, Absynth, V-synth and Pro 53.

The effects onboard are very high quality and I find it's modulation abilities to be pretty decent for a sample based synth, hardware or no. The filter algorithms on it sound pretty darn good too.

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

I wouldnt call it a synth at all. Its a rompler and nothing more. Atleast in my mind.

Where do you draw the line between "synth" and "rompler"?

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Are we talking about SampleTank1 or SampleTank2?

Originally posted by Boom

4 gigs of sounds and no synthesis architecture at all, what you see is what you get.

There's a fairly decent synth architecture in there. Not all of it is visible to the user though. In ST2 you can edit filters, envelopes, LFOs, etc.

Want to route the mod wheel to an LFO and add a little vibrato? Not with Sampletank. Want to pan those drums a little differently? Think again!

You can do this in ST2.

Its a $300 Virtual Sound Canvas.
:rolleyes:

Yes, it is basically a sound module. Not a sampler. Not a VA synth. It can be made to work like a sampler or a VA, but that's not its main function. Its main function is recalling sounds and tweaking sounds. If you're into massive Giga libraries, it's not for you. If you're into oscillator sync, FM synthesis, or additive synthesis, or granular synthesis, then it's not for you.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by SirGarrote

so you're all saying that SampleTank2 is not a cheap alternative, but rather a waste of money? good to know since i was just looking at it yesterday...i had finally given in to all of Kim's praise and took a serious look at it. Always best to hear both sides of the story, ay?
:)

-G

Like I said, it's not for everybody. Personally, I think it's the best synth on the planet, hard or soft. But that's because it supports my style of working, and my style of music. It's the only sound source I use (apart from my guitar, and my voice :eek: ).

Of course, not everyone will find it as useful as I do. I certainly don't think that everybody should be as excited about it as I am.

I know it about as well as any non-developer can know it though, and I'm happy to answer questions about it if you have a genuine interest (not just slagging it off).

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeez

Where do you draw the line between "synth" and "rompler"?

Forever,

Kim.

"sound module" is a better term for it then rompler....

but it isnt a synth at all, does it actually generate tones from scrath or do you load pre-made samples into it?

• Members

but it isnt a synth at all, does it actually generate tones from scrath or do you load pre-made samples into it?

Pre-made sample, of course. However, there are several VA synths that use sampled waves as their source. What's the difference?

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

because that way everything in my life balances perfectly. Or else there would be chaos.

well there's no arguing that point. 'nuff said everyone. now you all go to sleep and don't think about this anymore.

thanks,

'rain

• Members

I've used SampleTank since its initial release and admit to being a huge fan. Synth/Sampler/Rompler - whatever. Ever since I started using it my Roland & Emu hardware have been collecting dust.

I wouldn't recommend it as a composer's only tool. But as an enhancement to an existing soft set up, it's a worthwhile addition.

Archived