Anyone like the Roland RD-170 ?

• Members

I briefly tried one the other day. The piano action was very spongey and unpleasant. The piano samples were not in the same league as Yamaha's with obvious velocity switching.

I like the concept though, great controller features AND a digital piano in a portable package for the stage. I'd love to see Yamaha develop a product along these lines.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I played the rd170 at two different stores recently.

I really like the sounds and the build quality. It's nice to have so many variations on the keyboard sounds--be a great instrument for someone in a band.

The keys are very expressive and lighter than the yamaha p90. The action is not quite piano-realistic though(Though I wouldn't say spongey and unpleasant. :) ) You don't feel the hammer action like you do in the RD700. I A/B'd it with a Korg SP200 and the touch felt identical to me on both boards.

You should try it out. You might like it. Be sure to look at a RD700 though and compare the action.

The RD700 action might be worth a few more hundred dollars to you. Could also look for a used RD700 on EBAY.

I was really in the market for a Yamaha p90. But I played 2 different ones in different stores. The action just felt too stiff for my taste--even more than other Yamaha models--and it wasn't just the sound engine key-->sound connection IMO. Also If I'm going to pay $1000 for a keyboard, I want to look more substantial than the P90 plastic slab. Not to dis' the other Yamaha models...

• Members

I stopped over at Guitar Center yesterday and tried the RD-170 and I can definitely say it's a lot nicer than the RD-150 it replaced. Sounded and played better. It doesn't have the "short decay" or at least not as bad, as other Rolands do. I didn't sit there for hours though, just about 20 mins at it, but the initial impression was better than I expected.

Okay so I have a P120, and having played other digital pianos out there, (the yammys and the rolands, the GC doesn't carry much) I realize just how heavy the keys are... The RD-170s feel like they'd be a bit more comfortable after extensive playing, but then again, I don't play even remotely as much as I did in the past so no big deal I guess...

• Members

I have just started playing piano

I bought a Roland RD-170

I liked very much how is was built + the acoustic piano sounds really good but most of all I think the RD-170 has very awesome Rhodes-sounds...in the store I compared it with a Yamaha P-80

I was not at all pleased, the piano-sounds were great but the Rhodes sounded very synthetic to my taste. most of all I didn't liked the plastic-built of the yamaha (knobs were tiny and looked fragile + awful power supply with ac-adapter).

However I didn't realise at that time that I could buy a P-120 for only 300 euro's more than the price I paid now for the RD-170.

I hear a lot of praising about this P-120 here and I agree the RD-170 has indeed a very light action.

Now I am looking for some good active speakers for my RD-170.

I figured out that I could buy something decent for about 300 euros.

Together the same price as the yamaha P-120!!

Have I been stupid to buy a RD-170 with seperate speakers if I could have bought a P-120 for the same price??

Maybe I should switch, even if it was just for that more real piano-touch. But the RD-170 is incredibly built decent and looks very nice. I gues you can't compare a RD-170 with a P-120?

• Members

moonkoen,

the Roland RD-170 has a very good grandpiano sound different from the Yamaha P series but the Roland action is way to light for a digital piano. The Yamaha P-120 also has a nice grandpiano sound , a very good rhodes and a fantastic action.

At the end i think Yamaha is the winner here but as a P-250 owner myself i must say that i really like the RD-170 sound.

I just ordered a pair of Yamaha MSP5A active monitors for my piano after hearing many others ( in the same pricerange ).They made my P-250 really sound good and the woofer and tweeter are protected with a grille. This was also important in my case...

:rolleyes:

Good luck with your choice(s) !

Regards,

lvercaut

• Members

The RD-170 has a good grand piano, but an action that is way too light for a pianist.

The Grand Piano is good, not my taste but good. It is not even close to the superb quality of the p120, but the roland is pretty good. I would recommend it. It is pretty rich and full. It is a Steinway Grand Piano, by the way.

The action is way too light. I am not exegerating. The action is light and flimsy, and it doesnt allow alot of dynamics. I guess if you were used to a extremely light touch piano, it would be OK. It feels very springy and bouncy also.

Overall, it is a nice piano, but it has a big problem; the action is way too light for a pianist. But the pianos on it are decent, not great.

Either way, enjoy your RD-170

Archived