Your Favorite 80's-esque/LowFi/VideoGame-like modules...

• Members

I really want to get back into writing again - been on a break for several months. As such, my first foray back into the fray (so to speak) will be to start working on some very 80's influenced videogame/soundtrack type music. (I'm still bummed about the death of the Greybox project... :( )

What are your favorite video-game-esque modules/software apps/etc?

A few to start off in no particular order:

ReFX QuadraSID (for that Commodore 64/128 feel)

Tweakbench Softsynths

Trash80's Reaktor GameBoy Emulation

Nanoloop

LSDJ

Any others?

• Members

Greybox

was that the NES synth guy? I heard from him .. he said he was in japan doing research .. He wrote back right away to me. Said something may be avaible this fall next year for 300$ or so.

But I still question why fold the website? why no watch this space?

Anywho .. the old school sound is one of my favorites. I just bought a C64C for the SID and plan on getting a hardsid from hardsid.com.

Also look into emulators.. they make an NES trakker program. I'm sure you could easily sample the wavs into multisapled instruments. I just got a sega genisis emulator that lets you dump the sound output to a wav file. I swear I can't tell the difference in the audio.... when i first started up fatal labryinth, I felt 16 again, and skipping school to play my sega! :cool:

• Members

I've done a similar thing with my Mac -

Download old NES sound files (.NSF) and play them through 8 Bit Overload. From there I use Audio Hijack to record the output to .aiff files - the great thing is that most of them include one-shot FX as well.

I then chop them up and load them into EXS24 and voila! Instant Nintendo sample playback!

• Members

Clavia Nord Modular, in all its incarnations, works so very well for sounds that recall the Golden Age of videogames...

and just so you know my bias, I was 12 in 1981, and I have a Nord Mod. :D

cheers,

aeon

Archived