I hate my self cannot do good music with exisiting gears

cowby

• Members

Originally posted by cowby

Here is my proposed appoarch to make Pop/Love/Ballad (melody part).

Restrict using 11-12 key range. i.e 1.5 octive max. If using more than 2 octives of keys, it is hard to sing (too low or too high for vocal). Any more suggestion.

Well depends on what melody you're talking about. If you're talking about the actual sung melody, then yes, that should stay within a resonable range. However, if you're talkin' backing sounds, licks and riffs, it makes no difference, as long as they're in the same key!

• Members

i just came up with a nice Rhodes patch on my Yam. TX81Z. It's a total 80's piano patch but while I was working on it my Triton became irrelevant because I had nice progression going that I could sing along to.
Don' t switch patches around; just hear the song in your head and get it down.
Even if you can't sing get the feeling down on your Casiotone or whatever. My best song is something I hummed to myself on the drive home from my worst breakup. Turn on your synth when the melody hits you not before. Good luck man.

• Members
Originally posted by cowby

But we must agree that when we are on the way to our office or in driving in a car, our head just full of music idea. At least to me, I sometimes humm a melody while I am walking. Sitting next to the synth and they are gone.

Get a MD-recorder (or something similar) so you can record those ideas! (A cheaper version is to use your cell phone and call home and humm to the answering machine...)

Writing down the ideas might work as well if you have a proper "musical language". I do know how to write and read sheet music, but I still have zillions of un-interpretable small notes with weird symbols after trying to write down ideas I've had at night or on lectures... I think the success ratio on understanding my notes is about 50% so I still do it once in a while when there is no other option. :)

Good luck!!

• Members

you dont even need a minidisk recorder, those things are pretty pricey :eek:

radioshack sells those mini tape recoreder things for pretty cheap, get one of those and have a pen and paper around you at all times and your golden.

any time you have an idea and what. you can just jot something down or say it and record it.

• Members

i use my cell phone for that. you probably have a "record memo" option somewhere on it, sometimes under "voice services" or "extras" or whatever.

you can use that, and you probably already have it. that's what i do to get melodies i am hit with while driving or something.

• Members
Originally posted by J3RK

[Hijack]

Mr. EggyToast: I started on trackers too
:D
well sort of. I really started on some C64 editors (like the Vibrants JCH editors.) Started actually making decent music on Pro Tracker for my A500. Then moved up to Fast Tracker and the like on the PC. Now all I use is Cubase SX2 though. I haven't touched a tracker in a long time. Sometimes I kind of miss them. I've got too much hardware and VSTIs to go back though.

[/Hijack]

You should look into psycle. It's a tracker that supports MIDI-out and VSTi's, and has a modular-approach to sequencing. So you'd be able to use all of what you have now in a tracker interface.

And it's free. Yay open source!

• Members

I'll check that out sometime. I actually had another tracker that interfaced with VSTIs and MIDI, but I never tried it out. A couple friends and I were think of coding a demo, (for which I would do the music,) so maybe I'll do it in a tracker just to be authentic :D

Archived