G(l)o(a)t my gear today!

gonkypete

• Members

This happy lad's finally an owner of a Yamaha S90. I'm afraid of turning it on again because it may lead to exhaustion and/or starvation. Lots of exploration ahead. Especially since I can't use any computer with it yet :rolleyes:

AKG k271 headphones. Loved them before but today I also compared them to Beyer DT770 and Ultrasone Trackmaster HFI650. Both, especially Ultrasone had a LOT more dist/noise with the S90's pianos. And the AKG's are so much nicer to wear. No competition.

Warwick RockBag. Flawed design and seams but OK.

Proel 3-tier stand, double crosses. Stowed away the 2 extra tiers for possible future expansion. Seems a very nice and sturdy stand. It was a cheap demo.

Now I'm gonna try the groove of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" :cool:

Hmmm. Hard to imagine a better use for that smiley.

• Members

please let us know how you like the s90 :) i've been on the cusp (lusting after it) of buying it for several months now, and finally have enough reserves to go ahead with it. just looking for a decent deal within decent driving distance (i prefer to order through mom and pop stores if it's not much more than what i can get it from ebay, guitar center, etc.). i know the snintety.com boards are all about this stuff, but it seems there are more people there without the board than with it, and the signal to noise ratio is pretty low. anyhoo, have fun with the new gear! :)

• Members

Sure man I'll tell you what I like the S90 now after owning it for almost three days :)

Tried it with a band today consisting of drummer, percussionist and bass player. They like rock, funk, jazz, Marcus Miller, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder etc. You can see from that setup that they were hoping to get a lot from me :) I guess the S90 can give them most of what they want, it's just that I'm not quite there yet...

At home with the super brave :mad:AKG k271:mad: headphones I like a lot of the sounds. If you read my earlier posts you know I'm a pianist and was on the verge of getting the P250 instead. I bought the S90 because there's a lot more possibillities in it regarding different musical styles, and I'm probably going to gig with it and haul it around.

Beware though on the diversity of sounds. At a first glance you might think there are vast amounts of good sounds. Now that I've played the thing for a while I'm realising that the number of (for me) USABLE sounds is not that great. I'm worried about the organs. And there's a little too many toyish sounds for me.

Naturally the salesman didn't let me in on the "secret" that a lot of the sounds you hear when scanning the banks through "Category Search" are basically doubles with just some reverb or layered with another.

Though I think I will be happy for quite a while with the pianos, Rhodes and clavs. Especially when I learn to tweak them.

Back to work with that EDIT button...

Archived