Need help with setting up Edirol UM880

• Members

So I got it finally.

I have a problem. Let's say I use Korg keyboard as the only controller at the moment, plugged into MIDI IN 8 port.

I want it to be controller for all my other synths (MIDI OUTs 1-8).

I use Cubase SX.

So, I selected a channel, selected a MIDI IN8 as an input, and, say, MIDI OUT1 as an output.

But the problem is, that when I play Korg - all other synths (OUTs 1-8) play simultaneously too regardless of the settings I made. So have do I force Edirol to use only those OUTs I selected?

Or is it Cubase problem?

Also, I thought it can be powered from USB only but it does not work unless plugged into the outlet? :confused:

• Members

1. In Cubase set up your midi track to receive on UM880 ch8, use thru, and set the channel to send back out on the required UM880 midi out channel.

2. On the UM880 patch each USB input (using the midi/usb button on the right) to the respective output. There is no need to patch any UM880 input to any of its outputs as ch8 in will go via cubase and back.

You can set this up as a stored program (using psave) and recall it again using pload.

If you want to use your synths without first firing up the PC you can save another program with midi 8 patched to one of the required midi outs (or combination thereof). I just have one set and then it easy to select another module by patching 8in to whatever out I wish to use.

• Members

Oh yes, and it doesn't take its power from the USB which is a shame.

Its also a shame that it doesn't have a USB port to which you can connect a PCR controller directly to it.

• Members

Originally posted by SweetAlien

But the problem is, that when I play Korg - all other synths (OUTs 1-8) play simultaneously too regardless of the settings I made....

even if you assign each synth a different midi channel?

• Members

Yes, I patched IN8 to OUTs right after installing it even before running Cubase, so no wonder I got problems.

I just reloaded factory preset program (empty, not patched) and now everything seems to be ok. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Mookus

Oh yes, and it doesn't take its power from the USB which is a shame.

Its also a shame that it doesn't have a USB port to which you can connect a PCR controller directly to it.

I swear that before I ordered it I saw everywhere stated that it's powered from USB and the AC is only OPTIONAL. Now wherever I look - I can't find a word about it being powered from USB. Mysticism... :confused:

Not that it's a problem for me... :)

Archived