Pilot or Pro: receiving midi messages for multipads on PSR?

Puta

• Members

hey guys,

i want to use a drumroll from the multipads on my psr9000 in a song. ofcourse i can record it as audio straight away, but i would like to be able to trigger it by midi while i'm still sequencing everything in midi.

i have set everything up so that the multipads transmit on channels 5 till 8. however i don't seem to be able to select multipads for the receiving channels. do you guys have any idea?

• Members

After some research it would appear that you can't do this. There would have to be a sysex message for this function and there doesn't seem to be one on any of the Yamaha arrangers.

Bryan

• Members

thanx for the quick reply bryan :)

from what i had gathered it seems impossible also. the psr's own sequencer wouldn't be able to record the multipads then either?

hmmm, gonna try this now....

• Members

No. It's designed to be used with the disk. So all you can do is write the midi to a floppy on the computer and then transfer the floppy to the keyboard. Primitive but at least it works.

Bryan

• Members

Originally posted by Pilot

No. It's designed to be used with the disk. So all you can do is write the midi to a floppy on the computer and then transfer the floppy to the keyboard. Primitive but at least it works.

Bryan

hi Bryan,

what i meant was: does the psr's sequencer records midi files? i think so and in that case it triggers the multipads through midi. or does it use some kind of internal sysex messages for that, which can't be send from a computer sequencer program to the psr?

anyway, it's not such a big deal to record it in audio straight away, but i would like to know if it's possible.

• Members

Originally posted by synthetics

cool, someone else with a 9000.

i have the pro and the normal 9000 model and its always nice to see others with them
:)
are these a power machine or what? not many know or understand just how powerful these things are.

ok, i will have a try later with the little pads, im not sure what they do actually, i never use them yet, ill look in the manual.

do you have a manual? i could help you with info from the manual if you need?

how do you use your 9000?

i would be interested to listen to your music.

claudette

hey claudette,

i have only had the psr for about a month now, but i love it :)

i haven't had the time to digg into the whole dsp section yet, but just playing around with all the presets and the organ flutes is already very inspiring. much more than screwing around with softsynth interfaces :)

the style section is just an extra for me, since i got a really good deal on it, 700 euro! maybe i will use it one day if i start gigging.

i want to use it most for the accoustic samples; they are much more realistic than those in Reason. for drums i already have very good samples that i use in Redrum and Battery. for analoguish sounds i have an Ensoniq SQ80.

the multipads are for triggering short sound effects or loops. you should try them, they're fun to play around with and nice for gigging!

and thank you very much for offering, but i've already downloaded a pdf manual from the yamaha japan psr website :)

have you checked there? you can also download the latest OS version (2.10) there!

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/pk/nonflash/products/psr9000/psr9000.htm

so what do you use for sequencing? just the onboard sequencer or also a softsequencer?

i would be very interested in hearing stuff you have done with the psr too! i think i've heared one of your songs in the past, but i can't remember.

• Members

Hey - I'm a little late but I'm here! I wouldn't have been much help with the orginal question though since I never tried recording the multipads in any way. But I can tell you that I've custom-programmed lots of little accents into the multipads on my 9000 Pro to use on cue. For example, I recently had to play at a real estate auction so I setup things like drum rolls with a cymbal crash and stuff. I normally have some drums setup on them so I can add live fill-ins to my sequences.

The 9000 Pro is my workhorse live performance keyboard, covering 5-6 gigs a week. I've add the PLG150-PF and DX expansion cards to it. If anyone would like to hear some demos they can visit my website at www.hiltonheadmusic.com and check out my latest album, which was done entirely on the 9000 Pro. :cool:

• Members

what i meant was: does the psr's sequencer records midi files?

Yes, it records them to disk in SMF0 format - in other words, all in one big track. A good piece of software that will convert to SMF1 - separate tracks - is PowerTracks. It has a nice "Split channels to Tracks" command. They've just released version 9 at a special price of $29 (or $19 for an upgrade). www.pgmusic.com. XGworks will also save files as SMF1.

Bryan

• Members

Originally posted by The Pro

Hey - I'm a little late but I'm here! I wouldn't have been much help with the orginal question though since I never tried recording the multipads in any way. But I can tell you that I've custom-programmed lots of little accents into the multipads on my 9000 Pro to use on cue. For example, I recently had to play at a real estate auction so I setup things like drum rolls with a cymbal crash and stuff. I normally have some drums setup on them so I can add live fill-ins to my sequences.

The 9000 Pro is my workhorse live performance keyboard, covering 5-6 gigs a week. I've add the PLG150-PF and DX expansion cards to it. If anyone would like to hear some demos they can visit my website at
www.hiltonheadmusic.com
and check out my latest album, which was done entirely on the 9000 Pro.
:cool:

hey pro,

that sounds pretty good! nice relaxed easy listening stuff... i get a kind of 80s feeling but then with modern samples. did you do all the ampcast songs on the 9000 pro? and is that you singing?

• Members

hi again,

i cannot answer the question you asked about the pads, very little info in the manual and as yet i have not used them.

the built in 9000 sequencer i have never used ( have a qy70 and software for sequencing )

most of my songs i prefer to record live and unsequenced into soundforge and then layer within cool edit later.

the 9000 sound is much fuller than the newer motifs and very rewarding to use for complete songs.

strings, elec pianos, pads find themselves onto most of my songs.

the sweet drums are wondeful, and i get some amazing authentic drums by treating the finished drumming with ozone 3 software.

so you use soundforge for sequencing? i can't play that good myself i'm afraid. i midi sequence everything that can be midi sequenced :D guitar and lyrics/rhymes are done in audio straight away ofcourse.

i use cubase sx for both midi and audio sequencing.

i'm really curious about the drums in your songs and the songs in general. so far the drums on the psr9000 are one thing i am not crazy about. especially bass drums and snares. they are nice for sketching, but i seem to have better samples on my pc (i do mainly hiphop and urban music).

i do like the fact that the Live!drums are multisampled, which feels more realistic.

btw i haven't finished any song yet in the year or so since i started synthing and sequencing. i am one of those people that spends more time tweaking their setup than actually writing music :rolleyes:

i do write a lot of lyrics and i am trying to make some more music also.

have you used the host connection instead of midi yet?

much faster than midi ( much faster than my usb oxygen 8 and software )

a cheap cable from a store and you can control softsynths from your 9000
:)
i get sounds from the 9000 into my pc with a very cheap usb external soundcard from creative labs.

claudette

is the serial to host connection really faster than usb? :eek:

i use a midisport 2x2 now and it's working fine, but i will probably use the to host port when i hook up my sq-80 the the midi B ports. i can then control the sq-80 from my pc and the psr.

can you use a lot of the psr's buttons to control softsynths or just the keys and wheels? did you have to assign the buttons to parameters yourself or did some CC numbers match straight away?

thanx!

• Members

Originally posted by Pilot

Yes, it records them to disk in SMF0 format - in other words, all in one big track. A good piece of software that will convert to SMF1 - separate tracks - is PowerTracks. It has a nice "Split channels to Tracks" command. They've just released version 9 at a special price of $29 (or $19 for an upgrade).
www.pgmusic.com
. XGworks will also save files as SMF1.

Bryan

kool, thanx Bryan!

Powertracks sounds like a nice app to convert sketches from the psr's sequencer to seperate tracks in Cubase.

i have been thinking about getting XGWorks but i didn't want to spend the money just for patch editing (i like to keep my sequencing in Cubase, where i know the basics and have rewire capabilties). if editing on the 9000 itself turns out to be a pain i'll might reconsider.

• Members

I use the 'to host' connection on my PSR. Very handy on the laptop as it has no midi connector. It's 25% faster than midi and USB suffers from timing problems. You can get a cheap cable or roll your own. I made mine from an old bus mouse cable. Attached is the schematic.

You can always use XGEdit for patches. It's XG only and doesn't do any sequencing but it's cheaper than XGworks. You can make your own instrument definitions for XGEdit. They're in the same format as XGworks so you could probably use my updated definition file (PSR9000_VceList.ini) without modification. Just change the name to the one XGEdit uses.

Bryan

• Members

hi,

yes i use soundforge for recording small fast live sequenced pieces and glue them all into a song later.

drums and the 9000?

i mention the drums because of there natural and multi sampled sounds. i can understand why dance music makers and lovers may not like them.

the " live sweet drum voices" on the 9000 are real snares, kicks, hi hats amongst others and because my main music is not so much electronic i really can get the natural timbres i want with them, i have not used better.

for electronic music i use orion platinums electronic set or a linn drum machine and often make them in reaktor 4.

the host connection on the 9000 i use just to play softsynths like a normal controller, i would not even know what a cc number was
:D

claudette

:D that's ok claudette.

it's better to make lots of music and not know what a cc number is, then to make little music and do know what it is!

for your information, Controller Change Numbers are used to assign controllers (like pitch and mod wheel, knobs and sliders) to all kinds of synth or softsynth parameters. for example: mod wheel on your synth could be on CC# 9 and one of the silders on CC# 16. you can then assign the Release of one of the enevelopes in a softsynth to CC# 16 and control the Release time with the slider on your synth. often some CC#'s match straight away, without you having to assign it. this is usually the case with pitch and mod wheel and sometimes also with envelope and filter knobs and things like that (so the latter probably not on the psr).

about the drums, i agree that they are nice if you need 'real' sounding drums. usually i don't want that though. for my hiphop i use a lot of the Synthetic Drums (no not Synthetics Drums :p ) CD that can be bought with Battery.

i am curious about your songs done with the psr, but you don't have to hurry or anything!

• Members

hey hey,

bought the To host cable a couple of days ago! it is nice and fast like you said, like i am playing the internal voices. also kool that the psr can now act like some kind of midi hub for my sq-80.

did have a hard time finding one though, since usb is the thing now. when i finally did, it cost me 20 euro :eek:

btw claudette, i am still waiting for your psr songs!

Archived