A Drum Machine question

RicJangle

• Members

For over a year now ive been tinkering with synths (I have an Ion and MicroKorg) and now I am thinking about getting a drum machine to start making some electro. I am not interested in getting a soft-synth drum machine and would perfer a physical table top or something of that nature. For 400 or less what do you recomend. Ive have been looking at the Korg ER-1 and I like what I see, I tried it out and I liked it pretty much. For the above price can I get something better? Im not concerned about buying new as long as I am getting the most for the money. Should I consider a sampler? Any reply would be appriciated.

• Members

I prefer Zooms. The RT234 and RT323are both good. You can layer several drum & bass parts, modify voices, pitch, tempo, and volumes of parts on the fly. Fun easy to use units that imo are more versatile then the competition. EMU command stations would be other best choice imo. Command stations can also function as full synths too.

• Members

However, if you have trouble finding those others, and you do see an ER-1 for a price you like, I say go for it. It was practically BUILT for electro, and it can do some crazy tweaky lazery noises no other drum machine (that I've heard anyone mention) can do.

Knobs Knobs Knobs! So much fun even on it's own; I've sat for hours with this thing just making it go FZZZZZZZZZZZZAPZAPZAP!

There. That's my endorsment.:D

• Members

If you like the electronic sound of the ER-1 then you're not going to get anything like that on a Roland R8, Yamaha RY or TR707/606. Those are all sample-based machines.

However, if you want something that sounds like real drums the ER-1 will never do it.

I love the ER-1, it can do an amazing range of sounds. It is a bit limited in how many things it can do at once though because it only has four synth voices but it is very cheap and really incredibly versatile.

-Sheryl

• Members

For something a little more complex than the ER-1, you might want to consider the Quasimidi 309. It does electronic drums great, and there's a bass synth built in as well. Not the warmest-sounding box out there, but neither is the Korg.

Just my $.02...

• Members

nothing booms like an 808!!!!!!!

and sometimes you can find average condition ones for 500-550

i'd save up around $100 more and try to find an 808

otherwise get a 606 and have it heavily modded.

just my opinions, i like the way these sound and more important "feel" (nice user interfaces)

no midi tho!

good luck...

• Members

maybe the solution would be the ES-1 (the sampling electribe) or better yet, the ES-1 and the ER-1 together. wouldn't Linn and DMX sounds be included in traditional 'electro' sounds? w/ the ES-1 and a card reader/writer you'd have all the classics and could make pretty much any sound you want w/ the Ion and sample it. not as flexible in real-time as the ER-1, but probably better in the long run...

• Members

ooh ooh! another 808 related thread... :D Sorry Flukie... ;)

I have an 808, and an ER-1.

I love them both. They are totally different sounding machines, but both intended for a similar purpose. The ER-1 and it's delay sound great through my dual channel Proco Rat. I've made it sound like a guitar before feeding back and screaming... and the gating option is awesome too. and Cheap!

The 808 is just the ultimate electro machine. It's sounds never get old. the richness of it's sounds just slays the ER-1.

• Members

:mad:

oh well.. ill probably end up with another one someday. its just such a timeless machine. you STILL hear it EVERYwhere in todays music. not just the kick either. the hats, cowbell, clav, snare, clap.. its everywhere. sure theyre mostly all samples. but NOTHING beats an 808 in its true form. and 808 is just so darn fx friendly. i can honestly say the only hardware drum machine i would rather have is a machinedrum. but thats even a close call.

Archived