Old timer comes full circle

• Members

Hi everyone:

Pardon me if this thread starts off with seeming self-indulgence and wistfulness but I just felt like I wanted to communicate this.

About a year and a half ago, I started a thread that went something like this:

I am an "old-timer" and I can't understand the fuss about VA's or analogue. I praised romplers and said how wonderful it was to be imitative and that today's romplers had allowed me to fulfill dreams of playing strings and flutes and sounding like them. I put down analogues and said that audiences could not hear the difference between an analogue and a sampler and a VA playing an analogue-like texture.

I just finished doodling with my new A6 and it brought back some of the wonder I had felt in playing my Jupiter 6 and my Arp Axxe and Moog Rogue and I flet the beauty of not sounding like a imitator but instead reveling in sounds that only a synth can make!

I still think that a great Rompler is a thing of wonder and a great "flute" or "sax" or "guitar" solo is wonderful on my Romplers. A good, satisfying solo is great, no matter what.

What I am saying really is - play. Enjoy your keyboards for the joyousness they yield. We live in an age of wonder and one of wonderful and terrible potential. Enjoy these instruments. If they motivate and inspire, use anything that does that. We are truly blessed.

Aren't we lucky to play synths and to be able to shape dream sounds!?

Elmokeys

• Members

Originally posted by elmokeys

What I am saying really is - play. Enjoy your keyboards for the joyousness they yield. We live in an age of wonder and one of wonderful and terrible potential. Enjoy these instruments. If they motivate and inspire, use anything that does that. We are truly blessed.

Aren't we lucky to play synths and to be able to shape dream sounds!?

Elmokeys

In Cartman voice: Kick ass.

• Members

Originally posted by Raymar

I wonder if violinists ever say, "Damn, this thing can only sound like a violin! What a waste!!".

:D

I'm a violist, not a violinist, but I've seen more complaints than praise for MIDI violins/violin-MIDI converters. The time and effort these poor souls wasted on trying out MIDI violins and trying to get them to work would have been better spent on acquiring basic keyboard technique, especially since most of them are probably only looking to create MIDI sequences. Of course its easy for me to say because I learned piano before taking up the viola challenge.

MIDI wind players have it better, but they do some weird things like play solos on guitar patches.

-g

Archived