Cheapo sampler?

• Members

I play in a funk/classic rock band and use a Motif7. There are some tunes that I really need its sampler function (little stuff, like the sampled "ahhh" sound in "Groove is in the Heart"). I just traded in a Yamaha P80 for an S90, and I'm remembering how great it is to play weighted keys. I'm now thinking there may be times I'd like to bring the S90 as a solo rig (leave the Mo at home) - especially on some of the micro-small stages we sometimes play on. But I would lose that little bit of sample function. So - I wonder if you folks have any ideas about a small, lightweight, rugged, easy-to-use and CHEAP sampler that can be triggered by specific MIDI channel and can do these little bitty things?

• Members

well there are ton of little "phrase samplers" out there. Akai and Boss models are two that spring to mind. then there are things like the Korg Electribe ES1, has more of a sequencer thing going for it. what about upgrading the Motif to an 88 key? the keys on the ES8 are rather nice. and it has all the sampling power you should need. or what about buying a nice weighted controller like a Doepfer and a Motif rack? you'll have your sampling, synthesis, and weighted keys for less dough. also, i know you can pick up an E-mu ESI2000 for about $200 new direct from E-mu. lots of power for the price. just some suggestions.

• Members

I thought the S90 could play user samples?

Originally posted by nolights

I play in a funk/classic rock band and use a Motif7. There are some tunes that I really need its sampler function (little stuff, like the sampled "ahhh" sound in "Groove is in the Heart"). I just traded in a Yamaha P80 for an S90, and I'm remembering how great it is to play weighted keys. I'm now thinking there may be times I'd like to bring the S90 as a solo rig (leave the Mo at home) - especially on some of the micro-small stages we sometimes play on. But I would lose that little bit of sample function. So - I wonder if you folks have any ideas about a small, lightweight, rugged, easy-to-use and CHEAP sampler that can be triggered by specific MIDI channel and can do these little bitty things?

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I thought the S90 could play user samples?

noper. the s90 is essentially a motif 8 without the sequencing or sampling capabilities.

to that end, like the person above stated, highly consider trading in the s90 (i know you just got it) for a down payment on an es8 if you've got the cash. as far as i know, it's got the same keybed, and most (all?) of the same sounds if you load them from cd. you've got a whole lot of overlap rom-sound wise as far as having an s90 AND a motif 7, would make sense to consolidate. between the two you should be able to pick up an es8. hell, if price is a big concern, and you don't use the s700 sample on the s90, get a motif 8 original.

• Members

No, unfortunately. You can program and save user patches, but there's no sample feature at all in the S-90.

I used to gig with a P80 and a JV-1010. Great feeling keys, adequate sounds, but a massive pain to create all the splits and layers I needed (it all had to be done with SoundDiver). Now I gig with the Mo7 alone, and it covers the sounds fine, but I really miss the nice weighted keys. And no one (from what I can tell), makes a controller with weighted keys that feel as nice and solid as a Yamaha keybed (the closest is probably a Fatar - or an Oberheim MC-1000 if it was available in the US).

I think I'm having a mid-gear-life crisis... I want good-feeling weighted keys and adequate semi-weighted keys on a gig - and don't want a lot of weight to lug around. And in a perfect world, a nice weighted workstation for the studio that doesn't travel much. Right now, I've got the Mo and the S-90 and not sure I'm headed in the right direction. Using both would be a lot to carry to our tiny venues.

And, as tjwett says, there are options-options-options. The S90 would already be a weight and space stretch on a gig - but the Mo8 ES would add just enough to that to make it a deal (and back) breaker (carrying the S-90 from my third floor studio down narrow stairs is already a borderline risky proposition

So I'm in a spin. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by nolights

I think I'm having a mid-gear-life crisis... I want good-feeling weighted keys and adequate semi-weighted keys on a gig - and don't want a lot of weight to lug around. And in a perfect world, a nice weighted workstation for the studio that doesn't travel much. Right now, I've got the Mo and the S-90 and not sure I'm headed in the right direction. Using both would be a lot to carry to our tiny venues.

And, as tjwett says, there are options-options-options. The S90 would already be a weight and space stretch on a gig - but the Mo8 ES would add just enough to that to make it a deal (and back) breaker (carrying the S-90 from my third floor studio down narrow stairs is already a borderline risky proposition

So I'm in a spin.
:confused:

Dude -

I am THERE, brother - I am SO there with you... ha ha

I have to navigate 12 steep basement stairs with my gear, then out onto the deck and down another 5 or 6 stairs. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm damn lucky to have a nice little house w/finished basement, deck, backyard, etc... but still - it's a pain to navigate all those steps!

So I contemplate my fantasy of what would be the EXACT combo of keyboard gear every time I gig out - which is several times a month or more.

I think if you like the Yam. S90 - stick with it and scale down from the Mo' 7. Maybe get the Mo' 6 instead?

• Members

Kiru-- that's a neat idea and worth a look. And Gigman...thanks for the empathy. The Mo6 might be a good choice - it would be easier to gig with that and the S90, and just the Mo6 for the smallest of venues.

I do spend a lot of energy spinning on what would be the best configurations for live and home.

I kinda wish Yamaha made an 88 key controller - like a P90 without the sound engine - and with better MIDI... and around 35 pounds. Kiru - you gotta design one for the Yammie guys.

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

What about getting (or replacing the Motif with) an RS7000? AFAIK it's basically a Motif in a box without keys.

Kiru

it is indeed similar but not exactly a Motif, sound-wise. the internal ROM does share some of the same patches but excludes many also. it really focuses on dance, hip hop, and electronica. it's not close to the Mo for realistic and acoustic sounds. the sequencer also works a bit differently and is more groove and pattern oriented. also the max RAM is quite a bit below the current Motifs. all that said, it is a great box and is pretty cheap right now. it can also do some really neat things with audio and MIDI.

• Members

I've been doing some searching, and it looks like the Boss SP-303 does what I want for not too much money. It runs between $260 and $300. That might be the easiest way to go for now. The BIG GEAR questions can be answered later.

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Archived