Listen to my THE FINAL CHAPTER!

Jeez

• Members

Originally posted by fingersg

I
think
it sounds great, but you've got to do something about the quality of the MP3. Just do something about the recording, and I'd love to listen again.

Care to elaborate? I think the mp3 sounds pretty damn close to the original... so the problem you're hearing is probably a problem with the original.

Let me guess - it's kinda bright and tinny? I was wondering if I'd gone too far on that. It was a rushed job...

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by mr.rob

The inevitable question follows:What was your process for making this? What tools did you use?

The process was rather unstructered:

1) Come up with lots of cool-sounding unrelated stuff

2) Choose stuff that sound good and build on them - making variations, developing them, extending them. This makes more stuff.

3) Organise the best stuff into some kind of order. This becomes the skeleton for the structure of the piece.

4) "Massage" the piece by increasing cross-referencing (making different sections reference each other - adds coherence), smoothing joins between sections (so it doesn't always feel like "changing the channel"), adding automation (so the sounds are more mobile, more expressive, and more interesting to listen to), and final mixing.

That's the essence of what I do generally. I know I need to work on structure a lot more - my current habit is to build structure like an accident. I should put more thought into it because myh pieces are sounding a bit unstructured (as a listener it's hard to tell where I am in the piece, there's no sense of overall contour).

As for tools, it's quite simple:

Cubase SX 1

Sampltank2 (with custom samples and instruments, programmed by me)

Quantum-FX (with custom effects, programmed by me)

Hope that helps.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

my god! that is really stinking good.

you just keep getting better.

But I will say there is something wrong with the sound quality... something very wrong I think..

I think it's missing fullness in a lot of the sonic range... don't know how that could've happened though.

your drum stuff is really awesome.. this belongs in a movie. with the amount of work you must of put into it, it really deserves a look into why the mix doesn't sound right... it sound kind of muffled or something.

• Members

good movie music!

I mean that in a positive way:

- nice atmosphere

- incredible sound design

- wicked effects

but also in a negative way:

- what do you want to say with the stuff?

- i loose track halfway, because there is so much happening. it's like saying 'follow that yellow cab!' on Broadway NY. there are many repetitive elements, there is much of everything, much noise, and there is not a clear red line, guiding the listener through the music.

- it sounds a bit 'jammed' to me...a bit 'future jazz' like, even though you probably spent a lot of time in structuring it.

I realise that this is not the kind of music I normally listen to, but I hope my remarks are a bit of help anyway.

I am so tempted to say something nice and oldfashioned like 'a good song should still sound good when played on a piano and this doesn't' :D. but, seriously, it would be cool to combine our completely different ways of making music in one piece, I am curious to see how that would work out

• Members

Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

Never got a comment from you on my piece.....why should I.....??
:p

Seriously, I haven't been spending much time online at all lately. I'm in final year Uni, and it's eating my life. This piece took me about three months (or even four, I can't remember) by sneaking in a few hours here and there.

Sorry. :-(

Hopefully I'll have more time next year, and I'll be able to post a lot more, and comment on other people's music.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Originally posted by Roald

- what do you want to say with the stuff?

My music has no message. It is purely a sensory experience.

- i loose track halfway, because there is so much happening. it's like saying 'follow that yellow cab!' on Broadway NY. there are many repetitive elements, there is much of everything, much noise, and there is not a clear red line, guiding the listener through the music.

- it sounds a bit 'jammed' to me...a bit 'future jazz' like, even though you probably spent a lot of time in structuring it.

That's probably because the structure is ... well ... not very structured at all. I know this has been a weak point for me lately. I need to work on it.

I am so tempted to say something nice and oldfashioned like 'a good song should still sound good when played on a piano and this doesn't'
:D

You're still right.

However, you might not have noticed that my piece wasn't a song. ;)

but, seriously, it would be cool to combine our completely different ways of making music in one piece, I am curious to see how that would work out

So am I. I've been itching to work with a songwriter willing to explore my sonic world. :D

Come to think of it, I'd like to run it like a remix project. I haven't done any remixes since LakeShore Driving. Remixes are fun. :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

do you think one of my tracks would be good enough for remixing?

Honestly, I can't remember any of your pieces. Not your fault - My head's been elsewhere. Sorry.

what would you need to get going?

Some time. I can't see myself having a decent amount of time for music until the next of the year. Yes, I know it sucks. Tell me about it.

When I get there though, just give me whatever you want. Individual tracks, a whole mix, whatever. Of course individual tracks gives me more freedom.

Forever,

Kim.

• Members

Nice sounds. Intriguing atmosphere. However, I was overcome by a sense of restlessness. I would've really liked for the piece to calm down for a few bits and retain its composure. It felt like it was twitching constantly, ants in the pants or sumfin'. It was slightly uneasy, and might work very well as background for an action thriller movie. It fills you with anxiety and unsafety, which is great when the mood calls for it. As far as home listening goes, not a chance.

The main weakness is the lack of a central theme. It's almost there, but it keeps eluding the listener. I think the structure is what needs the most attention, because the potential and the essential bits 'n pieces are there.

Good work!

Archived