how stupid do they think we are???

• Members

ok, so I had someone reply to my ad in the classified section inquiring about my MWXT. the guy's name is "Donald Duke" and he types in very broken english - so right away, a name like that + broken english sends my suspicion meter into the red... well, why don't I just post the text from the e-mails.

his initial inquiry:

Good day,

My name is Donald Duke.I'm writing in respond to

you advert Waldorf Microwave XT,been place for

sale,i want you to be inform about my interest in

purchasing it.so i'll like to it present condition

including photo(if avaliable),and your final price

offering.

Your prompt responce is awaited,hoping to hear

from you soonest.

Regards,

Donald Duke.

my response:

http://static_insect.tripod.com

note here that I switched the price to $650 from the $625 I had asked in the ad, just to see if it caught his attention

his next reply:

Hello,

Thanks for your swift respond, the price is okay by me,and

i am ready to purchase from you immediately, i will offer you

$650.00(U.S.DOLLARS)for the Waldorf Microwave XT and i want you to delete the ad

from the website.I have a reputable shipper in london that will take

care of shipping from your end.

I want to let you know that i have an associate in the

state that is oweing me a sum of $2,000.00(U.S.DOLLARS) i will instruct him

to issue you a certified cashier's cheque on my behalf and as soon as

cheque arrives,you hold out your amount and send the difference to my

shipper in london via western union for the pick up in your place.I hope

i can trust you with my balance and also you will be contacting my

shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e

the actual weight and exact Waldorf Microwave XT. if this terms are

okay by you,do get back to me with the following details:

1.Name to be issue to...

2.Contact Address(City,State,Zip code,Country):

3.Contact telephone number(including mobile):

Do get back to me asap with this details for

payment to be made out to you immediately.

Your prompt responce is awaited.

Thanks,

Donald Duke.

I wrote the following back to him and then blocked the e-mail address:

sorry, but I've seen these scams before. nice try

so again, I ask: HOW STUPID DO THEY THINK WE ARE!?!?!?!

*sigh* :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Members

hello mr paul,

i am the one that will send a shipper to you, dont worry about that, ok?

Regards.......

KEN......

Paul Midi wrote:

NO THANKS, NO INTERNATIONAL SALES!

ken henry wrote: hello,

i can see of your ac adaptor, so i am from the west africa, i dealer in used ac adaptor buyer,i am very interest in your ac adaptor and i want to know the last price before i can know how i will make the arrangament.

i am giving out a CHEQUE cos there is no other way i can send money to you,so i will need your phone number and address also your full name.

so after that arrangement, my shipper will get to you for pick up,i need your quick mailing in time.

regards.....

ken.....

• Members

Originally posted by Fancy Fingers

So someone offers to first give you a cheque for $2000? Then someone will come and pick up the unit?

What's the problem? Obviously it's fishy, but really, I don't see the scam...?

well, how about the fact that my ad clearly states that I am in Canada and yet he is going to go to the trouble of senidng someone all the way here from London England to pick it up? nah, not a scam at all...

for those unaware, the way these scams work is this: they pay way more than you're asking and ask you to use Western Union to send the balance of the cash back to them. they send you a bogus cashier's check. by the time the check comes back to your bank as counterfeit, you've usually already sent the item and the rest of the money to them. then the bank withdraws the amount back out of your account, and you're screwed for the full amount.

it's a common scam. I just thought it was funny that this guy really thought I'd actually buy it.

• Members

I see. So the idea is that you send several hundred dollars and ship the synth - BEFORE the check has cleared!!

The sad thing is that the people who fall for that type fo scam are the small percentage who are sick, mentally handicapped, very young, senile etc and that's who the scammers are targeting.

Originally posted by spectralab

well, how about the fact that my ad clearly states that I am in Canada and yet he is going to go to the trouble of senidng someone all the way here from London England to pick it up? nah, not a scam at all...

for those unaware, the way these scams work is this: they pay way more than you're asking and ask you to use Western Union to send the balance of the cash back to them. they send you a bogus cashier's check. by the time the check comes back to your bank as counterfeit, you've usually already sent the item and the rest of the money to them. then the bank withdraws the amount back out of your account, and you're screwed for the full amount.

it's a common scam. I just thought it was funny that this guy really thought I'd actually buy it.

• Members

That is the old "Nigerian" scam. All you have to do is tell the asshole trying to rip you off that you've called Interpol and the FBI,and the guy will never bother you again. I've had about 5 people try that scam on me,so I just tell them I've given their email address to Interpol and they never bother me again,until I try selling another piece of gear.Then,I'll get someone else trying that scam all over again. I guess there are stupid people everywhere,and eventually someone will fall for it.

• Members

I had an almost idential response to one of my ads, the guy was called 'Weddy Smith' and his wording was very similar. He said he was respresenting a 'client' who wanted to buy my Pro-FX. He said he had a shipper and owed someone some money or something (it was never vry clear) but in any case he would be sending me a cheque for

• Members

Yeah the really amazing thing is that they use the same text in their initial email that they've been using for years. It must all be automated. This is why I never let my classified ads get broadcast on news groups, because I think that's where these things get picked up. HC classifieds, or Craigslist, are as far as I go.

• Members

i notice every so often that someone will list some gear for sale and some of the items are properly priced while some others are alot lower than average. i was talking to a friend and he was super stoked to have found a guy that was going to sell him his jp-8080 for $350.00 so i went thru and found the ad and it was like:

jp8080 - $350.00

tb-303 - $750.00

nord2 - $250.00

jup8 - $1600.00

ect

so i kept asking my friend more details about what they were discussing via email. so i sent the seller an email stating that i was interested in the jp8080 but if he had a an interested buyer to go ahead and sell to them since i might take me a few days to get my funds in order.

he denied that anyone else may have interest in the synth that he felt safe doing the deal with me because he was afraid of being ripped off.

so my buddy started sending the same types of emails and got the exact same responses.

luckily that convinced my friend not to get ripped off because he was seriously considering buying the "gear" from this douche.

• Members

that's right, the scam is that it takes the cheque a couple of weeks to bounce... so most people think it has cleared and then a couple weeks later get a nasty surprise in their bank account, after they've already sent everything.

what amazes me is that if they want the scam to work, that they wouldn't go to a bit more trouble to appear authentic...

hey Trillian, tell me more about that Pro-FX... I can't afford to buy it or anything, but I've never talked to someone who actually owned one before... how do the FX compare to other boxes doing the same things, etc? maybe we should start a different thread for that, LOL... or PM me...

cheers

Archived