Anyone knows this digital piano?

• Members

The Casio AP 38 digital piano is a joke. It is a piece of junk IMO.

*The action- Mushy, springy, not nice feeling. Not very responsive and it does not connect to the sound good. It is not smooth feeling.

*Grand Piano 1- Here is a clip of Grand Piano 1. As you can tell, it sounds awful, just horrendous. It is not resonant and full, and not rich at all.

Grand Piano 1

*Grand Piano 2- Here is another clip but this one is Grand Piano 2. It is a little brighter and less fuller sounding than grand piano 1. It is awful and thin, not very dynamic. Key to sound connection is awful.Grand Piano 2

*Electric Piano 1- A DX7 style EP but with some charm. It is not the greatest Electric Piano I have heard, lets just say that. It would however, go with a Barney Kids show tune maybe.

Electric Piano 1

*Electric Piano 2- It is supposed to be a Rhodes. Interesting sound, not very vintage sounding, and definatly not very full and powerful. Electric Piano 2

*Honky Tonk- A honly tonk upright piano. It sounds like a toy to me, somthing that would be on a 25 key $20 kids keyboard. It is not honky tonk sounding, and it definatly is not very rich. Honky Tonk

Harpsichord- Well, its ok. It does have the "key off" nuance when you realease a key(s). It is ok, but I wouldnt use it for Baroque music, it is not good and full enough.

Harpsichord

*Vibraphone- Pretty good, not dynamically sampled though. It is very usable.Vibraphone

*Strings- Awful, not usable. They could easily be mistaken for a synth pad. Not rich or orchestral sounding. Strings

*Synth Pad- OK, I guess. It has a weird EP sound included in the sound, sounds like a sound you would here in a barney movie. It could be used though.Synth Pad

*Pipe Organ 1- Umm, i dont know what to say. Pretty bad, not a nice pipe organ sound. Not very usable. I guess you could use it for some pieces, but not many.Pipe Organ 1

*Pipe Organ 2- This is a chapel organ sound, it is ok, could be used. It doesnt have the nice beatiful pipe organ my p120 has, but i guess the casio's will do.Pipe Organ 2

*Choir- A very crappy, synthy sounding choir. They have a weird rasp to their voices. It could also be mistaken as a synth pad, not voices.Choir

*Acoustic Bass- Ok, nothing special. It could be used in a band situation. Acoustic Bass

Theres my full review. Overall, I think it is a piece of junk. The Grand Pianos are a joke and so is the action and most of the other sounds.

I rate it:

2 out of 10- Some of the sounds are usable, but dont buy it for the piano sounds.

Let's just say that the dreaded korg piano's are better.

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

After start playing this digital piano...

Actually.. keys are just perfect. It has pure weighted hammer action with no spring design. For me, it is very close to real piano.

Yammy digital pianos have heavier spring assisted weighted keys I guess. Their keys are way heavy for me.

Casio brand seems to have cheap "image"... simply because they make many low end keyboards. But remember, Yamaha makes a bunch of very cheap keyboards too.(for kids obviously..)

It is true samples are not perfect. But when layered together, they make very nice sounds. I use this digital piano as midi trigger also. So sounds are just bonus for me.

Most of all, nearly half the price of Yammy P120 plus very nice look and really cool piano feel, it is just a good deal for me.

Even though I can afford P120, for me, it is just a waste of money.

Anyone who is looking for good home digital piano with limited budget should look into this Casio digital piano.

Peace

:)

• Members

I want to correct an erroneous statement here. There are no springs in the Yamaha digital piano action. All the weight comes from the hammer. You can see the action here:

features_fig01.jpg

Springs or no springs, it is a pretty heavy action... though I personally like it, myself.

Kiru

• Members

Kiru is right. In fact, I opened my P-250 the other day to see what's inside. no springenwerke, just metallic hammers that hit

a felt covered board. Actually, by changing the thickness of the felt layer one could easily change the key-press depth on the P-250 (I think the key depression on the P-250 is a bit deeper that the usual acousic's.)

-Peter

• Members

lol, well, now that we've totally hijacked the thread lol...

It's kinda hard to tell the details from the picture, but I'm virtually positive that I've actually held one of those demo key chunks in my hand and looked at the action at work. I know I've seen one or two Roland ones, and the Technics one, and I'm just about sure I've seen the Yamaha one, too. They use the same action on some of the lower Clavinovas; when you go to the stores where they sell the console digital pianos, they leave those key chunks sitting around. :)

The Yamaha action is really well designed. I'm pretty sure that the point where the key pushes down on the hammer is the the same distance from the key pivot point as the point where the key pushes UP on the hammer assembly in an acoustic piano. Leverwise, they're equivalent, is what I'm trying to say. This is not true of the Technics action, as it happens.

Kiru

• Members

The P-250 key mechanism does contain springs for each key.

I am not sure though (it is not clear from the P-250 service manual I have) if these springs are there only to hold the keys in position or they play any role in the action. My feeling is they not, and the action is totally gravity driven.

Peter

• Members

Originally posted by revesz

The P-250 key mechanism does contain springs for each key.

I am not sure though (it is not clear from the P-250 service manual I have) if these springs are there only to hold the keys in position or they play any role in the action.

:eek: Mind scanning a picture for us (if there is one)?

Kiru

Archived