how does the moog voyager stand up to old moogs?

ae5

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Thanks, Shawn
:)

Hey, is there much difference in keyboard feel? I've never played a Voyager, but I'm wondering if that might be a reason why Rick Wakeman seemed to prefer his old Minimoog...

I prefer the Voyager keyboard but maybe the bushings in my Minimoog need to be replaced. The Mini's keys are kinda clunky...no problems with triggering sounds but just feels kinda off. Also the voyager has things the Minimoog doesn't, like velocity and aftertouch, routable (!) which are no small things if you're looking for expressive sounds :eek: I'm pretty sure the Voyager keyboard is a Fatar (most are these days). I doubt they used the most high end of the line but it feels pretty good to me. Nice and smooth, springy, easy to play. I prefer that over the more weighted actions. Its not cheap like an AN1x. That thing has horrible plastic keys. The keys on the Voyager are full size of course.

Isn't there a place where you can check one out in person?

I also forgot to mention that FM on the Voyager kills! And it does great formant/vowel sounds, one of my favorite synth sounds, with that filter. But no doubt, if you just want "phatness", the original Mini is better for that.

BTW there are some mp3s at www.moogmusic.com but they are average. A few decent basses though.

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

I bet he has all the sounds programmed into the voyager just in case the mini freaks on stage.

According to someone on the recent Yes Concert thread in here, it did exactly that onstage at the show they attended. Rather than switching to the Voyager, Wakeman was twiddling with the Mini using headphones, during the song.

So, although you've had a good idea, it hasn't yet occurred to Rick.... :)

• Members

Originally posted by psychoschism

I'm pretty sure the Voyager keyboard is a Fatar (most are these days). I doubt they used the most high end of the line but it feels pretty good to me. Nice and smooth, springy, easy to play. I prefer that over the more weighted actions.

I once tried the MMV when it was sitting right next to the Triton LE's. I'm virtually positive that the same keyboard that's found on the LE 61 and 76 (that everyone bitches about) is the one used on the MMV.

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

I once tried the MMV when it was sitting right next to the Triton LE's. I'm virtually positive that the same keyboard that's found on the LE 61 and 76 (that everyone bitches about) is the one used on the MMV.

Kiru

You know, Kiru, I've heard this too...but the most recent user review here at HC says the keys are semi-weighted with Roland style metal weights on the underside of the keys. I wonder if they changed the keyboard on the newer ones.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

You know, Kiru, I've heard this too...but the most recent user review here at HC says the keys are semi-weighted with Roland style metal weights on the underside of the keys. I wonder if they changed the keyboard on the newer ones.

Might be... but they sure looked and felt like the LE keys the last time I tried it. :cool:

Kiru

• Members

I own a 1979 Minimoog and a Moof Voyager right now. And I like the Minimoog for its what-you-see-is-what-you-hear interface. The Voyager knobs won't change their position if you select one of the 128 patch memories (someone mentioned much more patch memory slots here).

Soundwise they are as different as the different Minimoog hardware revisions. So you will notice this on some patches and maybe even in the musical contect of a recording. But not if played while the guitar or other band members play at the same time on a live gig. But the patch memory is very great on live gigs.

The Voyager is able to do more modulations then the original Minimoog. And the Voyager got more voltage controlled parameters. This is because the patch memory controlls D/A converter that set the real analog sound parameters inside much like a real knob would do. Its not a digital synth. Its a pure analog synth with a digital parameter storage. Analog patch memories (see the Yamaha CS 80) is not that fun at all.

I use my Minimooog only at home. I fear lost or break down while transporting it. But a Voyager can be bought new. And the price tag is about the same.

• Members

has anyone had the chance to side-by-side Model D or Voyager with Macbeth M3X ?

considering the design similarities, what are sound characteristic diff/sim ?

it's the new M3X2 announcement that got me thinking about it as another, more affordable than voyager, "programmable mini" option.

M3XSA.jpg

• Members

Really, there are features of each that are superb. Both were just very good sounding.

NightChildren, would you say M3X envelopes are as snappy as Voyagers? I mean, are they as fast and do they have similar exponential curve?

Beside filter and osc, that is the cornerstone of the "mini" sound.

btw, i'm not positive on how are envelopes done on M3X or M3X2 - are they discrete components or software generated , like Studio Electronics SE-1/SE-1x envelopes are (unfortunately).

thx.

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

NightChildren, would you say M3X envelopes are as snappy as Voyagers? I mean, are they as fast and do they have similar exponential curve?

Beside filter and osc, that is the cornerstone of the "mini" sound.

btw, i'm not positive on how are envelopes done on M3X or M3X2 - are they discrete components or software generated , like Studio Electronics SE-1/SE-1x envelopes are (unfortunately).

thx.

As far as I know, everything on the M3X and M3X2 is analog (except for the little LED used for displaying numbers)

Archived