Modern synths with programmable arpeggiator?

Array

• Members

Korg Z1

Kawai K5000S

E-mu Proteus 2000 series synths (including command stations et al)

Korg Karma

Of course, the Nord Modular series (have to built the arp though, and it can be deceivingly tricky)

All of these synths have very powerful arpeggitors at least on par with the Q, some even more capable, I believe.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

The Z1 is over 7 years old. Can it be considered modern?

If I'm not mistaken, it's only about 2 years older than the Q it is being compared to. The Z1 is definitely a modern synth in terms of design aesthetic and capabilities, which I think are far more important qualities of a synth than age.

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

the V-synth has such a bad ass arp, I'm tempted to get it just for that

What is the V-synth's arp like?

Does anyone know what kind of Arp capabilities the Andromeda has? (As if I need any more reasons to GAS for that thing)

• Members

The Motif ES has ARP programmable via the sequencer with 4 channel output possibilities and control changes.

In addition, there are user LFO's that can have up to 16 steps with programmable sloping.

• Members

Originally posted by Array

Does anyone know what kind of Arp capabilities the Andromeda has? (As if I need any more reasons to GAS for that thing)

Well, the arpeggiator is pretty standard...not a lot of options (read: boring)

But it also has a programmable 16 step sequencer that controls notes and (I think) up to 3 other parameters. But of course with modulation control over pretty much every parameter and exact envelopes and lfo's syncable to the clock, just saying 3 parameters would be selling it pretty short.

edit: forgot to mention, though...i hardly ever use the built in sequencer because I sequence in Digital Performer. So I don't really know all the details. RTFM:D

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

the V-synth has such a bad ass arp, I'm tempted to get it just for that

The Fantom-S arpeggiator is very similar, of not the same as the one in the V-Synth. Very powerful.

In addition it has this RPS thing, where each key can have its own pattern.

And then each tone (of which there are four in a patch) has its own 16 step LFO pattern, which you can use as a mini-sequencer.

-- Ronald.

• Members

The EMU Command Stations can run 32 simultaneous arps at once, and since the arps can be user programmed and all run with independent clock divisors/swing/quantization. Combined with some 200 arp patterns, the thing can definately handle your Arp needs. And since the built in 32 channel sequencer handles modulation sequencing, there is not much that isn't possible.

• Members

There are over 1700 arpeggio patterns in the Yamaha Motif ES and 248 in the S90. You can use the buttons on the front panel to switch between any 5 in realtime. If you want a weighted synth with arp power, consider one of these two boards.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by 88keys4me

There are over 1700 arpeggio patterns in the Yamaha Motif ES and 248 in the S90. You can use the buttons on the front panel to switch between any 5 in realtime. If you want a weighted synth with arp power, consider one of these two boards.

:cool:

...unless, of course, you want to EDIT an arp. There is no way to edit arp data on the ES. The only thing you can do to change an arp is copy song data into an arp.

So if you want to make any changes to a previously created arp, you first have to "play" the arp into a song, make your changes in the song data, and copy that section of the song back to the arp. Then you can try the new arp out. If you want to make any further changes, you repeat the process.

-- Ronald.

• Members

The Emu arps sound promising. I haven't used many, but I have used the Q arp and it is, by far, the most programmable and flexible I've seen on any VA.

Anyone know of a good standalone box that might come close to that? Might be a cool toy to have around...

• Members

I've never had a programmable arpeggiator, but it seems to me it would need a few essentials in order to work well. Here's my list:

Real-time loop recording with scoop erase.

Individual event editing.

Quantization including variable swing.

Some form of programmable input filter or groove template to set boundaries on things like note velocity.

I guess that's why I've always done this type of thing as a pattern, which gives me these tools, and then either copied it or had it repeat. Roland also has RPS for real-time pattern triggering but I've never done anything with it other than experiment. I dunno...how are you guys setting up your own individual arps? Do you need my toolkit list?

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

...unless, of course, you want to EDIT an arp. There is no way to edit arp data on the ES. The only thing you can do to change an arp is copy song data into an arp.

Thing is, how many arp patterns are like "Up 1oct. Up 2oct. Up 3oct."? The AN1x and CS1x were like that, too:(.

Why not make "Up" and "noOfOct" separate menus?

• Members

Originally posted by 3DMC

The Emu arps sound promising. I haven't used many, but I have used the Q arp and it is, by far, the most programmable and flexible I've seen on any VA.

Anyone know of a good standalone box that might come close to that? Might be a cool toy to have around...

I really like my Emu XL-7 Command Station. It's got really nice arps. You could probably find Command Stations on eBay or Guitar Center.

-g

Archived