Strange Digital Effects question.

jchahn

• Members

I am a guitar player first and foremost. I read the harmony central reviews of the Roland XV-5050, and there is a fellow who reviewed it who is using it with a guitar. He is running the XV-5050 with a Roland GR-33 guitar synth.

I have a guitar amp with midi-in and midi-out ports for a midi effects loop. I am wondering if I could just run an XV-5050 by itself through this midi loop on my amp, or do I need some sort of controller for it? (ie: GR-33)

• Members

No, you will definitely need a guitar/MIDI controller (GR-33 for example). The MIDI jacks on your amp are (presumably) only for controlling patch change information on the amp itself, and/or connecting in a MIDI loop to allow you to change FX on another MIDI device.

The amp will not, however, convert your guitar's audio path to a MIDI control value, which is why you'll need a guitar/MIDI controller of some kind.

• Members

Well, I think we need more details on the amp you are using and the specifics of the midi ports on it.

The reason the other person would have been using the GR-33 is because of the system it uses. The GR-33 accepts a 13pin MIDI cable coming from an actual pickup on the guitar that reads the vibrations of your strings and turns it into MIDI notes. In other words the pickup translates the strings you play into digital notes. The GR-33 can then send the same MIDI information on a standard 5pin MIDI cable to other units (like the XV-5050) and they get their note information.

So, the reason we need to know more about your amp is so we know if it is capable of turning your playing into MIDI notes. If I had to guess, I would say that it doesn't.

edit: doh! 3DMC beat me to it. But we're essentially saying the exact same thing.

• Members

My amp head is a Johnson JM-250 head. Johnson amps are no longer in production, but they were pretty slick. The amp has digital modeling built into it. It's essentially a digitech digital effects processor with a tube preamp and a solid state power amp.

So basically, even if I bought a GR-33, I'd still have to buy a special guitar with a midi jack on it to run it through effects processors? Does the GR-33 or the XV-5050 have an analog output so that I could output them into a power amp?

• Members

Originally posted by jchahn

So basically, even if I bought a GR-33, I'd still have to buy a special guitar with a midi jack on it to run it through effects processors?

Not exactly, but close. Your current guitar would have to have a MIDI pickup like this one installed. Or you can buy guitars that come with it installed if you don't want to do that to your guitar.

• Members

ok, I'm at Roland's web site and I'm looking at the GI-20. It's a guitar/midi interface that allows you to hook any GK equiped guitar or bass to a midi interface.

According to Roland's web site:

"The GI-20 GK-MIDI Interface detects the signal from any electric guitar or bass equipped with a GK-2A or GK-2B pickup, respectively, and lets you trigger synthesizers and samplers, or even record your playing as MIDI data."

So basically, I get one of those GK-2AH pickups, run the midi cable from it to the GI-20, then go from the GI-20 to the synth/module of my choosing (ie: XV-5050), then go from the analog output on the XV-5050 to, for instance, a power amp. Then from there to speakers.

Do I have the overall concept of how this thing works now?

I just hope there are enough midi ports to allow for a foot controller to be connected to the whole setup, so I can change effects/patches easily while I'm playing.

Archived