Distance from floor to top of piano-key ?

• Members

Is there any standard for the distance from floor to the top of the piano key ? I'm right now installing my new P-250 and it's quite heavy...puh.

My keyboard stand is a Proal (spl250??) X-stand....

Is there any out there owning a Yamaha CFIII ??

Please measure the distance from the floor to the top of the keyboard....

:confused:

• Members

I just measured the height of the keys on my grand piano at 29 inches (74cm). That also seems to be the height of the average desktop. Must be a reason for it I suppose though since I am six feet tall I find that most things are designed for midgets. My keyboard is at 32 1/2 inches (82.5cm) since it sits on the desktop and I find it quite comfortable to play.

Bryan

• Members

Here is some data for Yamaha CFIIIS

Length: 275 cm

Width: 160 cm

Height: 103 cm

Weight: 500 kg

cfiiis_medium_jpg.jpg

...and Steinway & Sons Concert Grand - Model D

Length: 8' 11-3/4" (274 cm)

Width: 61 1/4" (156 cm)

Net Weight: 990 pounds (480 kg)

001.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by NORWAY-P-250

Is there any standard for the distance from floor to the top of the piano key ? I'm right now installing my new P-250 and it's quite heavy...puh.

My keyboard stand is a Proal (spl250??) X-stand....

Is there any out there owning a Yamaha CFIII ??

Please measure the distance from the floor to the top of the keyboard....

:confused:

It depends on the height of your seating. Preferably, your forearms should be parallel to the floor, or (depending on your wrist angle when playing) angled slightly downwards. You should having your forearms angle upwards whilst playing, as this leads to an unnatural bending of the wrist (;)) and tenses your forearm and shoulder muscles. This is not dependant on you playing, though, and ordinary writing desks are about 70-71 cm in height precisely for this reason.

I had to cut quite big pieces off of my QuikLok Z-stand, and still have to use a piano bench in a high position to get a good playing height - a stand should be lowerable to 60 cm or less if one is going to sit, playing a stage piano on it. I'm thinking of getting a table stand instead. A good friend of mine is a carpenter, perhaps he can help me out with something...

• Members

Indeed, the height depends on the seating.

You should have about straight angles in arms and legs.

The Yamaha G5 grand of my parents measures 73cm floor-to-key and 72.5cm for my Fender Rhodes.

Most seatings are a bit low, so with those seatings the keyboard should also be lower. Unfortunately, most stands have a rather high lowest setting, which don't combine well with low seatings. :mad:

• Members

It really depends on how tall you are.

Here is the way that worked for me:

Stand up straight, arms straight, next to your torso,

figers extended straight too, next to your thigh. (Like a solder...;)

The keys should be exactly at the height so the tip of your

middle finger touches the piano key.

Of course you can adjost the bench heigh too..

.Peter

• Members

Originally posted by revesz

It really depends on how tall you are.

Here is the way that worked for me:

Stand up straight, arms straight, next to your torso,

figers extended straight too, next to your thigh. (Like a solder...
;)
The keys should be exactly at the height so the tip of your

middle finger touches the piano key.

Of course you can adjost the bench heigh too..

.Peter

Yes, but I don't think you can adjust the height of a Yamaha CFIIIS ?:confused:

• Members

I have my keyboard at about 26 inches, 66 cm. I cut the legs off my table top like stand to get it at that height. My Quick Loc X stand I cut extra adjustment notches in to get it lower. I find it more ergonomic to lower the keyboard. I find the standard settings of stands are too high. I prefer to have the keyboard sitting low compared to convential heights. But it more closely matches the height when you are playing standing up, in fact it is still higher sitiing down then the usual height keyboards are set at when you are playing standing up.

cjsm

Archived