A Brief History of Trance

roblogic

• Members

Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

Holy {censored}! I lived in Tokyo 'tween '91-'96. I was heavily into the Goa scene in Tokyo in 94-96, which totally rocked. Oh man, the memories. Did you ever happen to attend any of the out-of-this-world outdoor parties at Fujinomiya among other places? I also graduated High School (St. Mary's Int.) in '96 and from there went to university in UK, and so my raving days were far from over. My raving days, in fact, didn't really end 'til a few years ago. I'd still attend one, but that "love'd up" feeling ain't what I'm after anymore. 'Twas a helluva time though and I have extremely fond memories of X-acid-goa parties. Nothing, at the time, could beat those amazing sensations.

Peace

I graduated from St. Mary's in '95!!! Of course I went to all the party's, the Odyssey raves in Meguro and the Spiral raves in Roppoingi. There was even a tiny ass club in Ikebukuro that specialized in GOA - met Tsuyoshi there. Also went to Yellow and the Liquid Room alot. I hung out with Julien and Marco, who were also your year!!! Finnish, eh...I think I might no who you are!!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Balil

I graduated from St. Mary's in '95!!! Of course I went to all the party's, the Odyssey raves in Meguro and the Spiral raves in Roppoingi. There was even a tiny ass club in Ikebukuro that specialized in GOA - met Tsuyoshi there. Also went to Yellow and the Liquid Room alot. I hung out with Julien and Marco, who were also your year!!! Finnish, eh...I think I might no who you are!!!!

Oh man, it's a small world! Julien, Marco, Dino - Teddy Bear House? Well I'm easy to remember 'cos I stuck out like a sore thumb at St. Mary's :) , and there weren't many Finns there at the time. Then there were the morning parties at Flower and Speak EZ. There was even a crazy ass morning party once at Buzz where Israeli DJ Miko put one one of the maddest sets I ever witnessed. I'm trying to pick my brain to remember who you are, since you graduated a year berfore me. :confused:

I have to apologize to the rest of KSS...this is really PM stuff......

• Members

Originally posted by roblogic

Man With No Name
was
Oakenfold, right?

Man With No Name is Martin Freeland.

I was heavily into psy-trance from '94 till a couple of years ago, when the Israeli full-on sound dominated the scene.

Astral Projection did some nice tunes in the early days, but I was never into the Israeli sound.

Kox Box/Saiko Pod, X-Dream, Tristan, Transwave, Dado, Atmos, Logic Bomb, Serge"Antidote", G.B.U., Bamboo Forest, Cydonia, Joti "Psychaos" Sidu, Prana, early Tsuyoshi Suzuki stuff, Green Nuns, Hallucinogen, Shakta, Man Made Man, Man With No Name, Slinky Wizard, Bubling Loons, The Delta, Spirallianz, Midimilliz, Biscaya, Purple and Ronan, some Cosmosis stuff, Aphid Moon, Gabe "Wrecked Machines", Etnica, Allaby, Ticon, Son Kite are a few acts that have been my favourites.

Peace out.

• Members

Originally posted by isosceles

i'm asssuming the guy on the website is you. it appears that you have really thick eyebrows.

That's actually mostly shadow. But um, thanks for noticing.

Originally posted by isosceles

and they are very symmetrical

Funny how facial features do that...

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

So have you stopped making Trance and if so why?

Not intentionally. I've started a few trance tunes lately, but haven't liked any of them enough to complete. I've just been having fun playing with other styles.

• Members

It's funny how each part of the world has different things going on in the 'same' scene...
same, but different :)

those mixes are sweet... but the NYC scene at the time was a different flavor... mostly hard NY house and hard trance. Granted, if you looked hard enough, you can always find ANY type of music in NYC at any given time.
GOA was never big here... you probably could here it in an ultra private hole in the wall in Alphabet city or something... but never in the main rooms
Sad part is how much CAN one remember when he is walking out of the Soundfactory or Limelight at noon the next day (and I have always been drug free!)

Feel old??? i first touched a turntable in 1984 and took a while to figure out what the hell i was doing. (funk/freestyle/house was moving at that time)
I dropped the business all together when my only Friday night gig was shut down due to a problem with the clubs caberet lisence... at that time, the mobile business was getting cheezy and they were not very interested in hearing someone play Praga Kahn backwards! :)

I dabble now... still have all the goods and am in the process of figuring a good way to incorporate my synths into the set... i'm toying with the idea of getting a gig once a week (hey, at 30, I am not too old to jam, get some free drinks, look at tight a$$, and get a little cash for my gear habit!) lol

thanks for posting something that counters the general perception of Trance = Cheesy pop tunes from Scooter

• Members
setAI said:

the newest vinyl I have is Tournesol's kokotsu and Vapourspace's Gravitaional Arch of 10!

I have those!...on CD anyway... ;)

I think that was back when trance meant (to me) any style of music that was to be used in a spiritual context that included the use of entheogens.

heh.

I still think Vapourspace

• Members
Originally posted by tonyrome

It's funny how each part of the world has different things going on in the 'same' scene...

same, but different
:)

those mixes are sweet... but the NYC scene at the time was a different flavor... mostly hard NY house and hard trance. Granted, if you looked hard enough, you can always find ANY type of music in NYC at any given time.

GOA was never big here... you probably could here it in an ultra private hole in the wall in Alphabet city or something... but never in the main rooms

Sad part is how much CAN one remember when he is walking out of the Soundfactory or Limelight at noon the next day (and I have always been drug free!)

:) I was in a small minority around here at that time - we had a lot of hard & Chicago house, funky breaks (they never die), and D&B. The scene here was so small, you'd usually hear all of these styles at the same event. We'd use clubs with two rooms so the D&B kids wouldn't get bored with the house, and vice versa. Every so often there would be an all-techno or all D&B party, but they usually didn't break even. Promoters here all knew each other and always cleared dates with everyone well in advance so there was rarely a night with two competing events.

Feel old??? i first touched a turntable in 1984 and took a while to figure out what the hell i was doing. (funk/freestyle/house was moving at that time)

I dropped the business all together when my only Friday night gig was shut down due to a problem with the clubs caberet lisence... at that time, the mobile business was getting cheezy and they were not very interested in hearing someone play Praga Kahn backwards!
:)

I dabble now... still have all the goods and am in the process of figuring a good way to incorporate my synths into the set... i'm toying with the idea of getting a gig once a week

Seems like every bar in NYC has turntables now, just no dancing. :rolleyes: I go up there pretty often, and I love how I can go to 5 different bars in a night, and hear 5 different DJs spinning everything from D&B to Motown.

(hey, at 30, I am not too old to jam, get some free drinks, look at tight a$$, and get a little cash for my gear habit!) lol

That's what the whole DJ thing is all about! ;)

thanks for posting something that counters the general perception of Trance = Cheesy pop tunes from Scooter

You're welcome. That's one of my goals in life. :D

• Members
Originally posted by DodgingRain

If you need an example just PM me, meu's are really easy to do and even easier to update.

Already done. ;)

I'm dynamically generating them on the mission site now. I can't believe I haven't done this already - thanks!

I do have one annoying detail I'm trying to work out - maybe you hold the key. Incoming PM...

• Members

I really got into trance, and every other form of "real" electronica, in late '95. That's the year I graduated, and I got my first CD player as a graduation gift (sounds odd, but I didn't work during school). I went nuts at the local cd store, buying up nearly two thirds of the "dance" section, during the heydey of Instinct Records compilations of ambient and trance. In my opinion, those two genres have never been as good ever since. Ambient has all but dissapeared (and don't you DARE even THINK of suggesting a "chillout" cd to me!:mad: :mad: :mad: ), and trance went from something mysterious and otherworldly to... whatever that crap is today (see my "house divas" thread). To me, trance was supposed to be almost ambient with a beat you could shake your butt to if you wanted, but was more suited to headphones on the couch. Now its just over-the-top, hands-in-the-air party junk.

Crap, now I'm starting to feel old!;)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

RL.... loved "Dreamscape". I recognize a section 38:00-42:00... hate to sound naive about this... do you create the tracks ... if you didn't do you know that artist in that mix?

Thanks wg3 - that track is "Twilo Thunder" by Breeder. In fact, the next track (cut over around 43:00) is another Breeder release that came out about the same time, called "The Chain". Pretty much anything from Breeder is gonna be fantastic - they're in my all-time top 10.

I wish I had those kind of skills!

Archived