A Brief History of Trance

roblogic

• Members

I just unearthed six ancient mix sets I recorded between 1997 and 2000. Listening to them really takes me back. These recordings sort of chart my personal taste in music as a DJ, and the evolution of trance music in general. Listening to these sets reminds me of why I fell in love with electronic music.

I only posted the sets that I deemed listenable (believe me, there's a box full of tapes and CDs that aren't), and I'm a pretty harsh critic, so have no fear of shoes in the dryer. Also, this isn't cheezy euro booty trance. :p

Anyhow, I thought some folks here would get a kick out of hearing some of the old crusty classics. Enjoy! :)

Old Stuff Here

• Members

Cool! I only have a 2 disc underground trance album, the newest from DJ Tiesto and an album called "Lights Out 2", by Steve Lawler. Kind of cool actually.

I was talking to this metal head the other day, and he mentioned he was interested in trying some trance for a change.. :)

Am gonna transfer those files to my NET MD so that I have something new and fresh to listen to at work tomorrow, thanks heaps!

• Members

THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL OLD!

I spun ambient as well as acid/trance and breakbeat for several years- but got tired of the whole underground party scene and stopped around 1994 and didn't really follow what was going on in trance after that- except a little goa- your "history" doesn't even begin until 3 years after I stopped!

I still have a few dozen records left- nothing newer than 94! the newest vinyl I have is Tournesol's kokotsu and Vapourspace's Gravitaional Arch of 10!

• Members

Originally posted by setAI

I spun acid/trance and breakbeat for several years- but got tired of the whole underground party scene and stopped around
and didn't really follow what was foing on in trance after that- except a little goa- your "history" doesn't even begin until 3 years after I stopped!

You are old! LOL - I'm from NC, the scene here was 5 years behind what was going on in real-world USA and 10 years behind the UK. :) I started going to "raves" in '93-'94, and the scene went above ground into rented clubs around '96. The scene started getting sketchy around '99, and now we've all grown up. You can only see DJs at weeklies in the silicone and coke-laden clubs. Oh well.

I've chosen not to assault you with my old goa sets. That's what I cut my teeth on, and all the recordings I have from back then would make your ears bleed. :D

• Members

for some reason- goa still seems like the "next new craze in trance" to me! I'm a frozen old geezoid!

I hear ya - there was some mind-blowing goa back in the mid-90s that IMO is still miles away from what we're hearing now. Astral Projection and Green Nuns of the Revolution were two of my favorites. Unbelievable stuff. Goa is like the IDM of trance. No one around here wanted to hear it, so I had to take it down about 10bpm to get a chance to play anywhere!

• Members

Originally posted by Hidden

Goa and psy-trance is supergreen
:D
I love goa, any suggestions?

If you're looking for mixed CDs, Goa Gil is probably still easy to find - he was like the Oakenfold of Goa for a while. Speaking of which, Oakenfold is often credited with introducing Goa to the mainstream UK scene. But that's probably because he was credited with damn near everything having to do with trance at one time or another. :rolleyes:

• Members

I spun ambient as well as acid/trance and breakbeat for several years-

ditto.

2000 doesn't seem like all that long ago.

DAMN!

me 2 on the old records, i still have one, Voodoo & Serano "Blood is Pumpin'" that i spin when i am drunk.

I mix that with the Pee Album (gibby hanes from the butthole surfers and johnny dep of 21 jump street and film fame)

I don't know why, i just like it.

• Members

I stopped listening to house and trance around 1992, then I got into Acid Jazz and the rest is history. There were some great trance records at the end of that time (remember one that sounded like Klaus Schulze with beats) , I can't name them though, I think that was the whole problem with dance music it was all so faceless.. I really like the big afro style stuff and the mixing with jazz chords (Mombassa?) that was going on...

But yeah the whole house/techno/trance movement did leave a mark on most of us keyboard players in the UK even if we eventually went on to other things...

hehe.. I remember Guy Called Gerald playing my home town in 1987/88.. guy with loads of keyboards and a TR909.. it was when all of it was just about to explode... just when ecstasy was about to hit...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

hehe.. I remember Guy Called Gerald playing my home town in 1987/88.. guy with loads of keyboards and a TR909.. it was when all of it was just about to explode... just when ecstasy was about to hit...

Would I have liked to see that...!:) Good ol' classic techhouse...

• Members

Yes sir, pure MDMA..not that crystal and whatever else stuck in a pill press that they pass off as X nowadays.

They used to have these big jars, the kind you have pickled eggs in, full of it. I wanna say it was like 5$ a pill.

That was before the law had caught up with the chemists, if you know what i mean.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by roblogic

If you're looking for mixed CDs, Goa Gil is probably still easy to find - he was like the Oakenfold of Goa for a while. Speaking of which, Oakenfold is often credited with introducing Goa to the mainstream UK scene. But that's probably because he was credited with damn near everything having to do with trance at one time or another.
:rolleyes:

That's becasue Oakenfold DID make the first Dragonfly mix comp.

How about Man With No Name?

Prana?

Slinky Wizard?

And I can't remember but there was a Flying Rhino Ep dedicated to someone who passed away, that I thought was the best. I, too, left the scene in 96. I enjoyed it in Tokyo for two years. After I graduated high school, I went to college in Pennsylvania, and with that my friends, my raving days were over.

• Members

Originally posted by Balil

Prana?

Slinky Wizard?

And I can't remember but there was a Flying Rhino Ep dedicated to someone who passed away, that I thought was the best. I, too, left the scene in 96. I enjoyed it in Tokyo for two years. After I graduated high school, I went to college in Pennsylvania, and with that my friends, my raving days were over.

Man With No Name was Oakenfold, right?

I have a bunch of Flying Rhino releases in my collection - top notch stuff. In the mid-late 90s I started a small record distribution company. We sold online and in a small storefront. We specialized in trance (especially goa) & D&B. We made almost no money (it was an on-the-side gig), but my partner and I always had the best tracks before anyone else in the area. It was kind of like selling just enough herb to smoke for free. ;) I've got a metric assload of old goa and psy releases.

• Members

Originally posted by SirGarrote

dude, i'm listening to your "dreamscape" mix. IT {censored}IN ROCKS!!!!!
:D

thanks man, you made my day. hell, i'm gonna convert this to a .wav and burn a CD of it for my car. this is great!!

-G

Originally posted by marcellis

I really liked "Dreamscape" Roblogic.

:) Thanks guys! Ive got a couple of more recent sets at the bottom of the main page that are more current, you may like those too.

• Members

Originally posted by Balil

Prana?

Slinky Wizard?

Holy {censored}! I lived in Tokyo 'tween '91-'96. I was heavily into the Goa scene in Tokyo in 94-96, which totally rocked. Oh man, the memories. Did you ever happen to attend any of the out-of-this-world outdoor parties at Fujinomiya among other places? I also graduated High School (St. Mary's Int.) in '96 and from there went to university in UK, and so my raving days were far from over. My raving days, in fact, didn't really end 'til a few years ago. I'd still attend one, but that "love'd up" feeling ain't what I'm after anymore. 'Twas a helluva time though and I have extremely fond memories of X-acid-goa parties. Nothing, at the time, could beat those amazing sensations.

Peace

• Members

getting slightly serious though, i do think that more so than any genre, trance is dependent on the chemicals driving it. sort of like new age, or chanting monks, it takes that extra element of an altered state to fully utilize the music. not that i even trip that much any more, um got any?, but an audience blowing up on X or whatever is one of the more potent plugins available for for trance. try getting that out of a pro tools system- ha!

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

getting slightly serious though, i do think that more so than any genre, trance is dependent on the chemicals driving it. sort of like new age, or chanting monks, it takes that extra element of an altered state to fully utilize the music. not that i even trip that much any more, um got any?, but an audience blowing up on X or whatever is one of the more potent plugins available for for trance. try getting that out of a pro tools system- ha!

Excellent point! The day I did my last E was the day that trance started to sound "not so good"! I still enjoy trance after a full cup of 'erb tea or omelette, but it is definitely geared towards E and amphetamine driven trance-formers. Goa on mushrooms/acid is another soup altogether.

• Members

Speaking of mushroom.. I can really enjoy Infected Mushroom without taking any kind of drugs. Just turn it up and dim the lights, let the bass "work your body" :D Dancing with Kadafi is one of my favourites.

Archived