New track (comments needed)

• Members

It's been awhile since i posted something new, so i thought i would share what i'm working on and hopefully get some feedback about the direction of the track. I would say it's only 75% done, but i still think it gives the gist of it.

it's tentatively called falling sands

http://www.electromancer.com/showTrack.php?id=1087427376

thanks for listening,

eric - JSRobots

• Members

First of all, did you know that this mp3 has exactly the same file size as your track "Yearning"? Is this some freakish coincidence, or is there some method at work here?

Anyhow, I like this piece a lot. Personally, I'd like to hear a more robust kick drum. If I were mixing this track, I'd bring all of the drums out a bit more, but that's just the 4/4 kick calling out to the reptilian, trance-loving core of my brain stem. It also seems like the higher frequencies of the hats and vocals are muted, but this may be something you're planning on tightening up in the last 25%.

This is definitely identifiable as a JSR track, but it's got some subtle stylistic differences from most of your other pieces. This says to me that you have a defined style, but aren't stuck in a formula rut. This is a good thing. Keep it up, man - this is another quality piece, and another JSR track in my playlist at work.

• Members

Originally posted by roblogic

First of all, did you know that this mp3 has exactly the same file size as your track "Yearning"? Is this some freakish coincidence, or is there some method at work here?

That's freaky man... Good eye, i hadn't caught that. The exact same track length as well. Strange, it was completely unintentional. It also surpised me that you have that track, it's pretty rare. I only had it up on the net for a short time. It wasn't exactly my best track. ;)

Anyhow, I like this piece a lot. Personally, I'd like to hear a more robust kick drum. If I were mixing this track, I'd bring all of the drums out a bit more, but that's just the 4/4 kick calling out to the reptilian, trance-loving core of my brain stem. It also seems like the higher frequencies of the hats and vocals are muted, but this may be something you're planning on tightening up in the last 25%.

Thanks for that, i was pretty much thinking along those lines as well. I haven't really done much on the drums yet. I find doing the drums a bit tedious so i usually save them for the end. I did found out that an old friend who plays drums now lives in austin as well. So i'm going to try to track him down to hopefully give me a hand putting down drums for this one and maybe some future projects as well. We'll have to see if this pans out.

This is definitely identifiable as a JSR track, but it's got some subtle stylistic differences from most of your other pieces. This says to me that you have a defined style, but aren't stuck in a formula rut. This is a good thing. Keep it up, man - this is another quality piece, and another JSR track in my playlist at work.

This is actually quite reassuring, i've been wondering if i'm gaining new ground or just rehashing for a bit now. Fine line it seems, good to hear you feel i'm still on the right side of it. Thanks for the listen and the comments, i'm really glad you enjoyed it.

thanks for your help,

eric

• Members

Originally posted by GlassPrisoner

Very sound trackish to my ears. Reminds me of the 80s film Riscky Business.

Lots going on in there thought. Pretty cool stuff.

LOL, man that movie was bad. I can kinda hear what your saying though, but god that was a bad movie. I wish MST3k was still around to do that one. Oh and Mannequin, that would be cool.

eric

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

Originally posted by roblogic

First of all, did you know that this mp3 has
exactly
the same file size as your track "Yearning"? Is this some freakish coincidence, or is there some method at work here?

That's freaky man... Good eye, i hadn't caught that. The exact same track length as well. Strange, it was completely unintentional. It also surpised me that you have that track, it's pretty rare. I only had it up on the net for a short time. It wasn't exactly my best track.
;)

Thanks for that, i was pretty much thinking along those lines as well. I haven't really done much on the drums yet. I find doing the drums a bit tedious so i usually save them for the end. I did found out that an old friend who plays drums now lives in austin as well. So i'm going to try to track him down to hopefully give me a hand putting down drums for this one and maybe some future projects as well. We'll have to see if this pans out.

This is actually quite reassuring, i've been wondering if i'm gaining new ground or just rehashing for a bit now. Fine line it seems, good to hear you feel i'm still on the right side of it. Thanks for the listen and the comments, i'm really glad you enjoyed it.

thanks for your help,

eric

Anytime! If I were you, I'd keep the drums electronic - I think the techy drums give this track some extra edge.

• Members

Hey TMS

Again solid work from the master of ambience!!!

I think this is vintage Japanese Seizure Robots and will problably go on to rival my love for Estrange.

I can't believe you think this is 75% complete... it feels just fine as is. I really have no gripes at all Eric and I think the understated drums is right. Of course I'd love to hear what you do with them at the end, but I think it sounds wonderful. The peppering of the hi-hats with the drums is nice also, and I agree with Roblogic about them: Keep them Electronic.

This track ebbs and flows so beautifully that it becomes totally mesmerizing to listen to.

TMS you've cooked up another beautiful melodic masterpiece.

Cheers

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by Loreman

Hey TMS

Again solid work from the master of ambience!!!

I think this is vintage Japanese Seizure Robots and will problably go on to rival my love for Estrange.

I can't believe you think this is 75% complete... it feels just fine as is. I really have no gripes at all Eric and I think the understated drums is right. Of course I'd love to hear what you do with them at the end, but I think it sounds wonderful. The peppering of the hi-hats with the drums is nice also, and I agree with Roblogic about them: Keep them Electronic.

This track ebbs and flows so beautifully that it becomes totally mesmerizing to listen to.

TMS you've cooked up another beautiful melodic masterpiece.

Cheers

Loreman

thanks loreman, i'm really glad you liked it. I always look forward to hearing your thoughts on my new stuff. I'm pretty happy with it so far, the reason i say it's only 75% done is because i think it still needs some drumwork, another melody or two, and some more vocal work. I think the sudjestion to keep the drums electronic is a great idea and i'm sure it will be in the final version. I'm thinking this one will also make it on the forthcoming cd as well. I still owe you a copy so when it's done i'll send it to you. It might be a bit, i'm remastering and reworking everything that is going on it save maybe estrange. Thanks again for listening and the kind words.

cheers mate,

eric

• Members

Originally posted by the_resonator

i like it. i'dlike to hear either more audible drums or no drums..rather than barely audible ones.

hwoever, i like it and continue to think you are really working with some talent and ingenuity.

thanks res, i really appriciate it. As for the drums, I'm sure there will be some in the final version. I hadn't realized the volume was so low on them before i posted this version. I did mean to put them low in the mix because they are mainly placeholders, but it sounds like i overdid it by quite a bit. ;) At anyrate thanks for listening and for the feedback. i'm glad i posted this, it's been very helpful so far.

eric

• Members

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shus

I'm thinking this one will also make it on the forthcoming cd as well. I still owe you a copy so when it's done i'll send it to you. It might be a bit, i'm remastering and reworking everything that is going on it save maybe estrange. Thanks again for listening and the kind words.

cheers mate,

eric

Looking forward to this Eric...

I had another few listens to it last night along with your other work and this is certainly one of the strongest pieces you've done, even at 75% complete.

I'm actually wondering if you've sold your soul to ol' el diabolo :D it's really, really good music. I've got a bit of a crowd coming over this weekend so I'll be playing your stuff to them and seeing what sticks. My guess is they'll love it.

Laters Bud

Loreman

• Members

Originally posted by Loreman

Looking forward to this Eric...

I had another few listens to it last night along with your other work and this is certainly one of the strongest pieces you've done, even at 75% complete.

I'm actually wondering if you've sold your soul to ol' el diabolo
:D
it's really, really good music. I've got a bit of a crowd coming over this weekend so I'll be playing your stuff to them and seeing what sticks. My guess is they'll love it.

Laters Bud

Loreman

thanks ric, your too kind. Please let me know how it goes this weekend as well, i'm very interested. Btw i'm really diggin your latest as well. :)

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by DodgingRain

Like it, love the vocals, like the sounds. Very mellow and dreamy. Good pads and fills the sonic landscape really well. Like your use of organ and piano-ish sounds.

Not much bad to say about it, sorry.
;)
Did sound better on headphones and the mix could maybe be tweaked a little, but sure you already know that.

If I could get something like that out I'd be quite happy with it.

thanks dr, it means alot. :) Expecially on the vocals, it makes me so nervious... :eek:

eric

• Members

Sort of what everyone else said. A first rate track, I wouldn't change a thing about it other than the percussion which is kind of weedy and understated.

Not sure what your favoured percussion sound is, but this could really use something a bit more agressive and definite.

Archived