CDs - your personal playlists

• Members

Right now I'm getting into 10,000 hz by AIR which I bought used off amazon on a momentary whim! And I've got Herbie Hancocks Headhunters and Roy Budd (70s movie music maestro) on the way....I'm really getting into that whole retro 60s-70s funky jazz vibe right now thanks to net stations like ultragroove and similiar.

Mike.

• Members

Hmmm... This is what I've recently listened to most...

Skinny Puppy "The greater wrong of the right"

Simply great! I love every track.

Somewhat like a poppier "The Process"... :)

PJ Harvey "Uh huh her"

Also very very good. Dirtier than her latest, that I think was a bit too polished (although still really good).

Front 242 "Geograpy 2CD reissue"

A polished up version of their first CD, which is a real classic. I can hardly believe that some of these tracks are made on simple 4-track tape recorders...!! :eek: It still stands tall even after more than 20 years! The extra tracks are also very interesting.

• Members

er..what's in my CD players right now?

home:

mad mexicans "chinga la migra"

air- "talkie walkie"

Handsome Boys Modeling School (w/dell the funky homosapien)

Butthole Surfers "hurdy gurdy man" maxi single

Willie Nelson "spirit"

truck:

Refused "Shape of Punk to Come"

The Dwarves "Blood, Guts, and {censored}"

Postal Service "give up"

Napalm Death..the one w/unfit earth on it..i forget the name..

monte carlo:

The Dwarves "how to win friends and influence people"

Propellerheads

Chicago Blues Band --Europe stuff

Slayer --god hates us all

Control Machete --"uno, dos, bandera"

• Members

1. Bob Marley's 'Kaya' album is always with me

2. Ozric Tentacles - 'Spirals in hyperspace' Their latest release. It didn't exactly match all my expectations but it's still very good.

3. Kyoto Jazz Massive - Excellent lounge, jazz groove stuff with nice drum programming and some wicked elec. and ac. bass playing.

Peace

• Members

Murder Ballads - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

This album is just so grim it's unreal. There's a couple of the tracks that are so much that I usually skip over them.

Where The Wild Roses Grow is my favourite, and has to be the blackest love song in existance. It's done as a duet between Cave and Kylie Minogue(!), a sweet song about two people who love each other so much, then at the end they go down to the river together, kiss, then he smashes her head in with a rock.

The Curse of Millhaven is super excellent too, sort of a celebration of being a teenage psycho killer. And O'Malley's Bar is just ridiculous, sort of a ten minute ramble describing how he kills everyone in the bar with lots of lurid details about people's heads landing in the sink and insides falling out:eek:

Medaeival Baebes - any of their CDs

Usually what I listen to when I want to relax and listen to songs where nothing horrible happens to anyone. Well maybe except for Worlde's Blysse where all of the songs are medieval ruminations on mortality.

Evanescence - Fallen

I'm a sucker for a bit of piano led rock, and lots of songs that seem to be about going slightly mad. Nicely morose but not morbid.

Saviour Machine - Legend parts 1 & 2

German gothic apocolyptic god-rock. Thoroughly pompous and ridiculous but with some powerful moments when they start getting all messianic(!)

Leif & Leige - Fairport Convention

Mainly I bought this after I heard someone perform Crazy Man Michael at an open mike night and decided that it's such a great song. The rest of the album is pretty good too, a bit bouncy in places, but I like Sandy Denny's voice so that's kind of ok.

• Members

Nick Cave undoubtably kicks ass.

I was lucky enough to be drinking with about 10 people who were also nick cave fans in a bar with "ship song" on the jukebox.

nothing like singing that song with 10 other drunken idiots at 3 am.

no, really, it was super-duper-groovy.

• Members

Originally posted by Purity_Control

Evanescence
- Fallen

I'm a sucker for a bit of piano led rock, and lots of songs that seem to be about going slightly mad. Nicely morose but not morbid.

Saviour Machine
- Legend parts 1 & 2

German gothic apocolyptic god-rock. Thoroughly pompous and ridiculous but with some powerful moments when they start getting all messianic(!)

You NEED to listen to some Nightwish. Their new album, "Once" is actually top of the German charts as we speak. Close to Evanescence, except it's more symphonic, faster and more OTT.

Good {censored} though when you're driving alone on the highway at night!

• Members

Agitation Free - "Malesch" and "Second": probably my favorite of all the krautrock bands. both albums have that lovely, warm 70s studio vibe to the recordings, excellent songs and are interspersed with some neat synthery as well

Acid Mothers Temple - "Magical Power From Mars": totally overblown psych from these Japanese masters of the artform. even has a 20-minute blissed-out synth jam as the final track

Neu! - "2": not such a big fan of the speed-up/slow-down-the-tape-machine tehcniques on this record - seemed they hadn't quite perfected the craft yet. but the regular-speed tracks are the solid-groove trance-inducing sweetness that Neu! were known for

DNA on DNA: comprehensive collection of everything ever released and a lot of unreleased material by the best of the no-wave bands

CTI - "Core" compilation: some of the most respected artists with some of the best tracks out of the 80s experimental/industrial scene

Jessamine - "The Long Arm of Coincidence": more sweet, laid-back, synth-laden indie rock taking a tip or two from the krautrock bands

Squarepusher - "Selection Sixteen": probably still my favorite release of his

Autechre - "Draft 7.30": unlike "Confield", this one has some discernable grooves that one can still latch onto amid the chaos. I enjoy the collision of the two paradigms

ABC Diablo - "Give Rise to Doubts": one of the better bands to emerge from the mold set by Amebix

Voivod - "Nothingface": back in my younger metal/punk days, this record was single-handedly responsible for opening my mind to other electronic and interesting guitar-driven styles of music that I now love. so there's still some nostalgia

Slayer - live, last Friday night: the crowd kinda ruined the show, but they pulled out all the classics. they played probably 2/3 of "Reign in Blood" :D

I suppose that's enough for now :D

• Members

Lately I've been hitting the classic Nelson Riddle/Billy May Sinatra cuts. Also dug out some old Yes sides last week. Been cuttin' up with Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio....no keys, but amazing grooves. My son turned me on to Graham Colton, and I've got tickets for 3 to Prince in August. Gonna take my wife and 9 year old.

• Members

Originally posted by eminor9

Oddbods -> I've ordered Black Cherry upon reading your review.

Really enjoyed Felt Mountain but was a bit scared away from Black Cherry upon hearing a very techno-ish track.

I hope I won't regret it.

so do I

......thank god I live in the UK :D

• Members

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

A masterpiece of epic proportions. Just a kick ass band on a timeless record.

Air - Walkie Talkie

Im trying to get into it, but it crosses into adult contemporary on a few occasions, which really frightens me. So far, I dont think it's up to the level of Moon Safari.

Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

*the* alt.country record. Just a great rock record with a tinge of real country, plus some weird organic trippy ambience. A real masterpiece. The harmonies of Gary Louris and Mark Olson are fantastic.

• Members

My regular rotation for the past couple weeks-

Kanye West - College Dropout

HotShotz - One Way Or Another

JayZ - The Black Album

I seem to be the only hip-hop cat on this thread.

I have been dipping into my "Best of the Commodores" CD once in a while. The more and more I make and learn music, the less I am impressed with today's music and I start dipping into old school.

I've been killing that first AudioSlave album too.

Am I the only jackass that likes that Kid Rock song "Jackson Mississippi"? I don't like Kid Rock, but that songs lead guitar and drums sound like something AudioSlave would do.

• Members

in the car mp3 cd:

autechre - chiastic slide, lp5, ep7, confield, draft 7.30

anti-pop consortium - shopping carts crash

beans - tommorrow right now

at home (can't remember cd titles):

mulgrew miller, thelonius monk, brad meldhau, john coltrane

Archived