Roland D50 vs. D10

• Members

What are some notable things that make the D50 superior to the D10? Is the same LA synthesis used or is it's programmability slimmed down. How about the differences in the D50 and the D550? The D10 and the D110? I heard the D550 doesn't have portamento, but the D50 does. Does the D10? Is the D10 just a total worthless pile of plastic? Or would it be worth getting cheap? (under $100). Many questions here, feel free to pick one or all of them to answer.

• Members

Basically D-50 and D-10 use the same LA synthesis, but D-50 has better D/A and sound quality.

D-50 has more effects (reverb, chorus, EQ) while D-10 has just a rudimentary reverb. And D-50 has 3 LFO with PWM, while D-10 has 1 LFO only for vibrato.

But D-10 has some good features that D-50 doesn't: more PCM ROM with various drums and 8-part multi-timbrality.

My page about Roland MT-32 (even lower version of D-10) may be of some help.

• Members

The D-10 is multi timbral 8 part + 1 drum kit if my memory is good.

You also get programable drum patern on the D-10.

The reverb is very basic with few parameters and noisy.

In fact the D-10 sounds gritty and low fi (not in a good way). However if you use the synth partial (saw or square) you can use resonant filter and get nice analog emulation. (the D-50 can also do that)

The D-50's sound is more refined and bigger, a real classic synth.

However no multitimbrale capability, bitimbrale at best with 2 sounds using 1 or 2 partial max. You also get better keybed, display and DACs, programable chorus and reverb.

Go get the D-50 unless you're on a shoe string budget.

The D-10 was my first multitimbrale synth 17 years ago, and was real nice at that time for me.

• Members

Over the years I have had two or three D50, one D550, one MT 32 and even one D 20 (D10 bigger brother). I agree with what others have written before: there is no way you can obtain from a D 10 the same silky and breathy sounds a D 50 can produce. I don't know if it's a matter of effects, synth engine or maybe D/A converters, but to me it's a fact; I can say that the D 50 had a real advanced effect section, for its time. If you can, go by every means for a D50; I remember that it also had one of the best 61 notes keyboards I have ever tried: soft but not mushy, with just the right amount of resistance. :)

• Members

The D-10 was my first synth (discounting the Casio CZ-1000 which was borrowed from my school). It was a good learning experience but pretty soon I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It kind of put me off synths for a good long while until just recently. I'd definately prefer the D-50 for all of the above reasons.

• Members

21.jpg

looking over the Linear formula very carefully i deduce the D-50 contains rarefied mathmatical processess only understood by cats and japanese technicians

keys.jpg

that's why Analog Kitty says, never accept less than real Linear synthesis for all your synthesing needs.

(i was not given cat nip in exchange for this promo)

Archived