Soundseeds *audio clips* Thread-O-Rama

Sinner6

• Members

Welcome to the KSS monthly Mission!

Well, we have made it to a fifth go round, see the site for an archive of the prior submissions.

This month we are doing something a bit more experimental. some forumites have planted some "audio seeds" and its up to us to make them grow into tracks. You can do whatever you want with the following clips. Use them as the basis for your track either litterally by sampling them or metaphorically by simply drawing inspiration from them. These are the ingredients, but it's up to you to come up with a finished recipe.

Here are the clips:

Listen?

Dot Matrix

Noise

S T R I D E N T M E T A L

Taiwan Partridge

Bellisimo

Do what thou wilt :)

Check out the archives .

• Members

This should be interesting - I can't wait to see what you crazy kids come up with for this one.

Tonight I added the ability to post comments for each entry on the mission site. These threads get pretty long, and once the round is over, the comments fade into obscurity. By putting comments on the site with the entries, they can be preserved in the archives. You can post comments for any entry in any mission, not just the current one. We have the ability to moderate the comments, but we would rather not have to worry about doing so. Don't make me come over there.

As always, if you have questions about or suggestions for the site or the monthly mission in general, PM me or Sinner6.

• Members

I posted this as a new thread, but here it is again in case its needed -

Incorporating the 6 soundclips in one Dnb/Trance piece. All the clips have been sped up and most are repeated more than once. I used Taiwan Partridge, Bellisimo and Dot Matrix as sort of melodic phrases, and Noise, Strident Metal and Listen as atonal sound fx. No story behind this piece except maybe an image of flying super partridges.

Soundseeds 'Stay-ey'

P.S. The comments thingie is a wonderful addition roblogic.

• Members

It's a slow day at work, so I've been hacking on the site a bit. You can now opt to receive an email each time a comment is posted for your entry. The mail will contain the name of the poster, the full comment, etc.

If anyone wants to get alerts for entries they've already posted, PM me with the email address you want the alerts to go to.

• Members

Hey all. I've spent some time upgrading the site over the last few days. There are some new features that should make the site a lot more useful. Here's what I've added:

News section:

A handy-dandy little place where we can post the latest news about the missions. The site is starting to get traffic from people who aren't coming here directly from Harmony Central. This section will allow those folks to get the latest on what's happening.

Comments for entries:

Now anyone can post comments about particular tracks. When you post your entry, you can choose to receive an email whenever a comment for you song is posted. The email will contain the comment itself.

Download tracking:

The site can now track the number of times your song has been downloaded. When you post your entry to the site, you will be given a link to use when posting about your entry elsewhere. In order for the counter to work, you must use this link instead of the direct URL to the file on your server. I parsed the server logs to get download numbers for the archived missions, but these numbers only represent the number of times each song has been dowloaded since it was archived on our server. The number of downloads appears under the entry description.

Stream all tracks

You can now listen to all of the entries for a particular mission by clicking the "[stream all tracks]" link on the mission page. The playlist will play all of the entries in order from the most recent to the oldest. Thanks to DodgingRain for this suggestion.

I've tested everything thoroughly, but there's always the possibility that there's something I've missed or your particular browser doesn't like the way I've done something (I'm looking at you Opera and Safari users). If you run across something that appears to be broken, please let me know and I'll fix it. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

• Members

Hey, did you notice that Roblogic has been working his ass off to improve the site?

Thanks man, those are some cool features!

_____

What about this "audio theme" .....

opinions?

good idea/bad idea?

Half baked?

A stroke of genius whose time has not yet come?

Did the lack of a competetive poll hurt this months theme?

• Members

This month's theme is really difficult but also very good.

From my experience, compositions don't pop up as frequently as they did last month because people are having hard time sitting behind their synths and composing ;-)

I'm still at the stage of programming an appropriate patch for my piece. I've also downloaded new freeware recording software (Audacity) which allows me for audio multitracking. I have yet to decide whether to use this feature to incorporate some parts of the "soundseeds" or record as usually - what you play is what you get ;-))

So, as you can see, the theme is quite challenging.

I very much appreciate roblogic's efforts to improve the website. The new features are really useful.

Greetings,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, the response to this months theme seems rather flat compared to previous ones.

I won't be submitting this time round.

a) because I confess to being very uninspired by the 'sound seeds'

b) due to the fact I've been on holiday in Scotland

c) my website host's server crashed and it was down for 2 weeks and I lost everything on the site.

Like the new features on the Mission site though.

• Members

Just wanted to drop a line and say "Hi" sinner6, haven't been posting because of final exams and dodgy internet.

Hope everyone is well out there!

Phil BA(Hons) Economics and Politics 2:1 (that's the first and last time i'll ever do that)

YAY! sorry...

ps - I have cubase set up on my powerbook now and a few tunes under way, so will be trying to enter the monthly tune thing. Going to visit the website now...

Archived