p90 /Motif ES8

noizyb

• Members

Originally posted by lvercaut

It's the P-120/P-250 grandpiano 1 sample without the extra's ( string resonance , ...). But when i hear the Motif ES, i like the piano as much as my P-250.

Actually the P90,120,250 and the MotifES series piano are from the same sampling session. The Motif, being a synth and not a dedicated piano doesn't have the ability to play back the sample the same as the P series and lacks the string resonance and key off samples. They have different playback technology but come from the same sample. The P250 has a better playback engine than the P90/120. I have heard people say they liked the Natural Grand better than the Power Grand in the Motif. They are exactly alike with different effects and eq. It is really splitting hairs to bring all this up but thought I would mention it for the record. Yamaha can give a more detailed explanation of my overview.

• Members

I have a P250, P120 and P90 and they clearly rank in that order.

The P250 piano has much greater clarity and behaves much more musicaly than the little P90 piano. The P120 falls in between.

I'm waiting for the day that Yamaha upgrades the line and makes a portable P series piano with a piano as great a clarity as the P250 has. I do not consider the P250 portable for gigs, it's 73 pounds and stays at home. The P120 goes to my gigs and I end up using the EP2 Rhodes mostly because the acoustic piano is not so satisfying, it's harsh and phrases sort of staccato. The P90 hardly gets touched, it has a dull quality to its sound and stays mostly in the closet.

• Members

The Motif ES has the same piano as the p120 "Grand Piano 1", but the Motif ES lacks the nuances the p120's piano sound engine delivers(String Resonance, Key off, etc). But still, the Motif ES Grand Piano is superb.

Regards,

p120dUdE

Archived