Fender Rhodes Vs. Wurlitzer 200

fuzzy4dice

• Members

Jazz players prefer the Rhodes for soloing. Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock & Joe Zawinal all prefered Rhodes over Wurlitzer.

The Wurlitzer is favored by rock and R&B players. The single notes of a Rhodes sound with greater clarity of fundamental and overtones than on a Wurlitzer. I can't think of any classic jazz track that featured a Wurlitzer solo...except maybe "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy".

• Members

Wurlitzer's are cheaper (about $300?) than most Rhodes ($500-1000) but are a little more portable. Rhodes are a better design IMO, I just like the tone better. Wurlies were in a golden age in the late 60's, but the Rhodes really dethroned them as the electric keyboard to have through the 70's. And what could be more badass than a Rhodes Mark II with a Minimoog stacked on top? You sure can't stack no Minimoog on a Wurly!

• Members

The Rhodes and Wurlitzer are two completely different instruments. The Rhodes has a smooth and clean sound, with a more controlable sound, which is suitable for Jazz and Blues. The Wurlitzer has a more powerful, stand out kind of voice, ment for Rock. I personally love the sound of both, but they are two completely different instruments.

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

The Rhodes and Wurlitzer are two completely different instruments. The Rhodes has a smooth and clean sound, with a more controlable sound, which is suitable for Jazz and Blues. The Wurlitzer has a more powerful, stand out kind of voice, ment for Rock. I personally love the sound of both, but they are two completely different instruments.

Regards,

p120dUdE

It

• Members

I had an Electro on loan for two weeks and as a piano player I found the Electro action unpleasant for playing Rhodes solos. I see the Electro strictly as an organ/clavinet simulator. As a Rhodes player I can't realate to its action and velocity curve.

• Members

Originally posted by rintincop

I had an Electro on loan for two weeks and as a piano player I found the Electro action unpleasant for playing Rhodes solos. I see the Electro strictly as an organ/clavinet simulator. As a Rhodes player I can't realate to its action and velocity curve.

I agree. Part of the unpleasant feeling for playing rhodes is due to the waterfall action keybed, which is ment for organ chops and playing. Not to mention that the keybed gives you poor dynamics when playing the rhodes

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

Much of that depends on your approach to playing keyboards. If you are a piano man, used to 88 key weighted hammer action keyboards, it would take you a while to adjust to the Electro. Imagine that unweighted waterfall keys were the standard, and you

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Well, this thread has been dormant for a while. Since I last posted I have bought a Rhodes and a Hammond M-100.

This horrible vintage key fixation has led me to search for and obsess over finding a Yamaha CP-70/80 in perfect, museum-grade, shape for $100.00 ;).

In the meantime, someone is selling a Wurlitzer (exact model unknown) for $150.00. It is stated that it needs "Minor Repairs".

Anyway, just thought I'd post here as Analog Addicts BIZARRE SUGGESTION OF ALL THOSE MONTHS AGO MIGHT JUST COME TRUE!

SPOOOOOKY!

BWAHHHHAAAHAAAHAAHAAAAAAA!

• Members

Listen to how John Medeski plays a Wurlitzer. You'll never think of one the same. :)

It's a tough choice, but if I HAD to pick one or the other, I'd go with a Rhodes because it can sound soft and sweet AND hard and dirty.. A Wurli is better for hard and dirty than a Rhodes is, but you can't get that soft belly sound out of a Wurli.

You can't mess with a Wurli though when it comes to slammin hard as nails sound. Those things have a percussive GRONKY bark to them that just can't be beat.

• Members

Well, I spoke to the guy this afternoon, and he started rambling about something like, "Well, you have to pick me up and drive me to where it is..."

At that point I kind of stopped paying attention. Although, I did catch when he said it was the "old style".

Like This:

wurly140A.jpg

And, that made me want to pick him up and drive him places...

Anyway, maybe I'll call again tonight and see it it's still around, and if he's more coherent.

Otherwise, back to looking for the ultimate deal in a place I least expect it.

ezt

• Members

I've been playing blues for a good while and I've never fully appreciated the sound of the Wurlitzer until I started listening to early George Duke and Les McCann . It is a hard as nails, gritty sound that is hard to get a feel of. But once you get the feel of it, it has a magic all it's own.

I can understand P120dude's point. Sure, the Wurli came long before rock-n-roll, but the hard, gritty sound was favored more by rock keyboardists.

• Members

Excellent Thread. I'm glad you bumped it back up.:)

I personally love the sound of both the Wurlitzer and Rhodes. They are each unique in their own way, and they sound completely different.

I have been using Wurlitzer Piano a lot in my music. It has a character that I love. When our band get's together for Jam sessions, I use both, depending on what we are playing.

Chris

• Members

Did you guys see "Ray"?

I thought it was a great movie.

The funniest {censored} is that the opening scene has "What'd I Say" playing in the background and some hands playing what is CLEARLY a Fender Rhodes!

I was like SCREAMING in the theater. What kind of piece of {censored} film is this going to be!?!?!

Anyway, later on in the film they redeem themseleves. They have this great scene in a hotel room where Ray first gets a Wurlitzer and it's like the one pictured above and everyone is crowded around listening to him play this new thing that no one has ever seen before.

It's pretty cool.

Then later...Ray is all strung-out in this hotel in Harlem playing a Fender Rhodes (which he eventually used as his main EP) with a red top.

HOW {censored}ING COOL WAS RAY CHARLES!?!?!?

photo01.jpg

ray_charles-25821.png

Archived