'Strumming' effect for MIDI?

kurdy

• Members

I remember seeing in Musician's Friend or one of those catalogs a long time ago--a module that would reconfigure the chords you play on a keyboard to sound like they'd been strummed on a guitar. I think they called it 'The Strummer'. I really doubt they make it anymore, but I wonder if there's anything similar around today, a hardware module, or software program that would do the same thing. I've been trying to find a way to get my sequenced synth-guitar tracks to sound more authentic and that particular effect is very difficult to do on a keyboard, especially with chordal, rhythmic guitar parts. Is there anything currently available that can be used for such an application?

• Members

Check out the strummed guitars on the Motif ES.

I'm a guitarist - and I tell you. I was stunned

when I heard some samples!

It was so realistic. No. It was better than realistic in fact.

If you add those Motif ES guitars to a real strummed guitar -

it will improve on the real.

Unreal baby!

After I heard it. I wanted it.

• Members

The Oberheim Strummer. Yes! That's exactly what I was talking about.

Keep in mind I'm not a guitarist. Nor do I have the money to go out and spend on all these new synths and samplers. What I'd need is a program that would work with what I already have. Right now, I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 (mainly for audio recording, but it does sequencing too) in combination with a Roland MC-50mkII hardware sequencer (which I use for sequencing). The Oberheim Strummer would do exactly what I need, but do they even make it anymore?

I find it really surprising that there isn't more software or hardware devices out there for this type of thing, since it seems like it would fulfill such an obvious need of most keyboardists.

Archived