2X8-Ohm cabs vs 1X4-Ohm cab?

Kellraj

• Members

I play a P-bass through an Ampeg SVT3-pro rig, with 8-ohm Avatar 4X10 NEO and 2X12 NEO cabs.

I find myself pushing this rig to the max on my current gig, and sometimes feeling like I don't have enough volume and definition- sometimes I increase my attack to compensate.

I've been considering moving to a GK1000RB or a more powerful SVT-Pro (2 or 4).

What about the idea of using a single 4-OHM cab instead of the 2X 8-ohm cabs I'm currently using? What would you expect the results of this approach to be?

Any thoughts welcomed...

• Members

That setup would put 450W total into the two cabs, seeing them as a total of a 4 ohm load. That seems like plenty of power. I play an Eden WT800 through a 112xlt cab and a 210xlt, both 8 ohm, which is somewhere over 400 watts output total, and I've never had problems keeping up. That doesn't seem right having all those speakers and not having enough volume. I would try the same setup with a different amp. You should be able to use either one of your cabs by itself and have plenty of volume, so maybe it's the amp.

• Members

try a dif bass or dif pickups, in particular try a bass with a bridge pickup, with active pickups, if your lacking definition thats the first place i'd look, the 1 4ohm vs 2 8 ohm cabs shouldn't make a dif tho you may want to try using dif cabs and in particular more efficient ones, some folks have complained about the neo's i don't have enough time on them to say

Archived