OTish: going all mac.

• Members

i will be by this time next year at least. maybe even 6 mos. :cool: right now im typing on a 1ghz powerbook and i really enjoy OSX as it is. but i watched the WWCD keynote (over an hour long but worth it imo.) and tiger looks PHENOMINAL :eek::eek: i really want this OS to be on my main desktop machine. i dont know what my budget is really. but which powermac and monitor combo is best bang for buck?? im definatly not afraid to buy used - in fact i would almost prefer it. :o

oh how i yearn for a dual 2.5ghz G5 and 30" lcd flatpanel with all the bells and whistles. :( but maybe a a dual 1.25 G4 with a gig or ram would be enough? then there is the question of monitor. maybe a single 22" would be enough realestate?.. but then ever since i got my dual monitor rig i said i would never deal with my desktop machine without dual monitors again. :rolleyes:

• Members

do it!!

Was using similar processing power (800mHz G4) just less than a month ago...

Now I have a G5 dual 1.8, and it so much faster. It runs our recording and sequencing programs along with the most powerful softsynths...

The Korg Legacy collection is just gorgeous sounding...

I look at my computer as a synthesizer that just happens to be able to do other things (e-mail, internet, word processing, photooshop, illustrator, video editing, 3d rendering, etc)

;)

I would say buy a G5... make your next step a leap. Go for the dual (any gHz will do)..

• Members

Do it. I did the same thing recently. In Nov. I bought one of the last G4s (budget issue) and in Feb. a 12" Powerbook (size, not budget :) ).

A friend of mine offered to sell me an old G3 cheap that I could apgrade, but I declined. There's only just so far you can upgrade a beige G3.

Anyway, as soon as I have the G4 paid off, I think I may sell it for a faster one. Not sure yet. Maybe one of the single G5s from last year. I really don't need a dual with my setup. I don't record more than 2-4 channels at a time anyway.

• Members

i have 2 windows machines, 2 netbsd unix boxes and 2 mac's and my mac's are by far my favorite. such a pleasure to use.

personally even as powerfull as the powermacs are i'm waiting for a g5 powerbook to upgrade (my main machine is currently a g4 867 powerbook with a gig of ram)

• Members

I love my Windows Machine - Shuttle XPC - Athlon 1.8Ghz. It is a small, fast, elegant setup and ideal for running softsynths.

But my lowly TiBook - 667Mhz G4 - is still my main machine. It runs Logic Platinum 6 without a hitch (1GB of RAM). I can't imagine how great it will be when I can actually get a G5. But for now, my TiBook is still a sweet, reliable machine.

And currently I'm afraid of turning on the PC given those damn IE vulnerabilities. At present the PC is music only except for an occasional visit to the NI site for ENS downloads for Reaktor. I don't see that changing - ever.

Both are excellent tools if used in the proper context. But dammit...I just love using OS X. :)

• Members

ya, it'll be a good thing Fluke

as you know, or may not, i just got a new old mac,

for $50 i got a Beige desktop. You can drop in a 1g G4 for an additional $400, but i dont think it will run tiger, just Jag.

the best choice is to go with a G5 machine, they start at $1300 new, i guess for the rev 1's... possibly you can work out a student discount somehow?

I wouldnt go for a laptop, but if you do the ibook G4's seem like a much better value than the powerbooks to me.

G5 imacs should surface around Sept. They were supposed to be at WWDC this last week, but apple got caught with their pants down due to IBM chip yields (does this mean they're using the 970fx? seems like) and now the old supply is gone and the new machines wont be available for two months!

bet they're pissed about that.

Apple keeps getting better and better. I just put itunes on the PC and with the firewire from the Emu 1212m it looks like a good time to look into an ipod

the new wireless hub is amazing too.

Im glad Jobs didnt try a bull{censored} song and dance with the supply problem. He really is good at what he does, which is approach business as a person.

So, again, my advice is to break into the g5 powermacs on the ground floor... too bad they are still "in between" video schemes, but the graphics cards they ship with arent indispensable by any means.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

Definatly do it. After I got the Apple Powerbook, I took the Windows tower out back and took a bat to it. I got so sick and tired of Windows driver issues.

Ha ha -

Reminds of that classic scene in "Office Space" when they take a laser printer (or was it a FAX machine?) out into a field and clobber it with a bat... :D

Man, that was a funny movie. ;)

• Members

Man, the more OSX matures, the more passionate I get about the tools I use.

There's really nothing like opening iTunes on my G5 and seeing a "TiBook" playlist, automatically, with absolutely zero setup, and wirelessly from my laptop across the house, ready to play through my studio speakers. That's SO damn cool.

Or connecting a digital camera for the first time and importing all the pictures with one mouse click and no driver installation.

Or counting how many instances of EXS24 I can open before Logic freaks out on my Dual 2GHz G5/2.5GB RAM (still don't know

• Members

If you guys are happy with your macs now, you need to get the Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse.

MX900 + Powerbook (with bluetooth builtin of course) = Happiness!

Has configurable buttons. You don't have to install ANYTHING. You just pull up the bluetooth manager and ask it to detect a bluetooth mouse and it finds it and installs it. From then, it will work no matter what just has to be nearby. The best part? Setting up Expose to work with your mouse buttons:eek: :eek: :eek:

Archived