probs with UPS?

• Members

I just sold my Motif 7 on Ebay - packed it up in its soft case, took it up to the local UPS drop-off place, where they packed it in a cardboard box. The Mo arrived in NJ with a big bash in the box - and the end cap is cracked and bent so that the top key doesn't move.

A couple of months ago, I bought a new S-90 from an internet dealer. It arrived in the original box - with a big ding in it - the top panel took quite a hit and has a nasty dent (though it plays fine) - I didn't have time or energy to hassle with it, so I'm just going to live with it.

A couple of years ago, I worked for a radio station that used these huge 300-slot commercial-quality Panasonic CD players. One needed alignment, so I had the UPS pack it up and send it to NY. When it got to the Panasonic Service Center, it had been completely destroyed - someone had put a forklift through the middle of it (the station did get a check to cover the loss - but it was a major headache for weeks).

So - is this just my bad karma - or is this a pretty common problem. And, maybe you just can't ship heavy, fragile electronic devices by UPS.

Just venting I guess.... it's been a crappy day.

• Members

UPS sucks.

They can and will destroy anything.

Do NOT put "fragile" anywhere on the box because that will encourage the stupid dumb asz motherphuckirs at the depot to kick it around even more than usual in addition to the 9 foot drop all packages go through.

I can't even imaging having UPS ship an acoustic guitar... eek.

• Members

Sadly, I'm hearing this is common, though I have yet to encounter it myself. Is it possible you did not purchase the additional "safe handling" thing? It's about $5 extra bucks and tells them to handle the item(s) with care.

I guess I have been lucky, but many have not. :(

• Members

funny this thread came, because as of now, I'm claiming insurance on my motif. I got my keystation 88 all fine with fedex, but my motif all keys ruined with body a bit messed up too. I'll remember this next time.. go with Fedex.

• Members

UPS doesn't suck. That's a cynical point of view which I disagree with. Between sending and receiving hundreds of items through UPS I've had only a couple problem shipments. I don't expect them to be perfect and mistakes will happen. I once received a synth bought off of Ebay and it arrived with a small piece chipped off on one corner. That was a couple years ago. Recently though, I sold my KS4 and it arrived at the buyer's house with a chunk out of the upper left corner. UPS is paying for the damage. I've also had outstanding service at a couple of their UPS Stores. If you've had several problems with UPS I would consider it very unfortunate but I would still ship through them. Mistakes just happen and it seems like you've had more than your share lol. Sorry to hear about it.

Archived