sampling equipment questions?

• Members

Can someone tell me what is the best equipment for sampling? I'm into digital recording/computer recording and I've been looking at the MPC 2000 xl. Is it difficult to use and do you know of any other methods or devices I can use to sample?????????

• Members

I can't really tell you what the "best" equipment for sampling is because they all have their ups and downsides.

I use the MPC2000xl for all of my sampling. However I do not sample other peoples music, I play my own music from various keyboards and instruments into the MPC then trigger/sequence the samples. I've found this way of making music best for me because I've learned to use the MPC and keyboards very quickly, and I try to get the sounds to sound as good as possible before I even sample them. This way is also good because you can get into your music more because your actually hitting pads to trigger the samples opposed to clicking a mouse.

The downside to this method is you can not manipulate the samples the same way you can in a computer. There is timestretch, filters, and an optional effects card (doesn't sound so good). But thats about it.

If you have the patience for software samplers and don't mind the lack of feel/groove they have. Go for it.

I suggest going to your local music store, patching a workstation into the MPC, sample some drum sounds, bass sounds, and maybe some other sounds like organs and pianos, and try to get something going. You'll probably fall in love right away.

BTW, make the salesman at the store hook it up for you. If its Guitar Center, they have too....

• Members

Originally posted by SUPAPRODUCA

I can't really tell you what the "best" equipment for sampling is because they all have their ups and downsides.

I use the MPC2000xl for all of my sampling. However I do not sample other peoples music, I play my own music from various keyboards and instruments into the MPC then trigger/sequence the samples. I've found this way of making music best for me because I've learned to use the MPC and keyboards very quickly, and I try to get the sounds to sound as good as possible before I even sample them. This way is also good because you can get into your music more because your actually hitting pads to trigger the samples opposed to clicking a mouse.

The downside to this method is you can not manipulate the samples the same way you can in a computer. There is timestretch, filters, and an optional effects card (doesn't sound so good). But thats about it.

If you have the patience for software samplers and don't mind the lack of feel/groove they have. Go for it.

I suggest going to your local music store, patching a workstation into the MPC, sample some drum sounds, bass sounds, and maybe some other sounds like organs and pianos, and try to get something going. You'll probably fall in love right away.

BTW, make the salesman at the store hook it up for you. If its Guitar Center, they have too....

Thanks.......is the mpc difficult to learn or use...how long did it take you to learn to operate it?

• Members

thats actually a funny question. The MPC was the first instrument/piece of equipment I EVER used. And I learned the basics of it in less than a half hour. By myself at that with no knowledge of producing music whatsoever. Its really that simple.

What I did was start with the basics, drum programming, quantization, and all that stuff. What I love about it is its really a trial and error type machine. And thats how I learn best. You cant really screw anything up like you can a soft sampler.

One thing I suggest immediately if you do pick one up, GET A ZIP DRIVE!!!

I was stubborn about the zip drive and put it off for about a year and I was using 5 to 20 floppy disks for each track. Those things are the most unreliable pieces of ish. Every beat I would lose because I would end up with bad floppies every time.

OH and by the way, if you do get into the MPC, sample EVERYTHING in stereo, even your drums.

Check out my site for an example of how I use it. Each time you reload the home page (with the hotshotz logo) it should load a different song clip. Keep in mind they are low quality mp3's or wma's for size.

Archived