Ampeg SVT Classic for sale. Cheap!

snowblinder

• Members

This amp kills. 300 watts RMS at either 2 or 4 ohms. Six 6550's. It's a no frills, blow the windows out kind of amp, haha. It's been on numerous stages around the U.S. and has never once failed to deliver the most amazing, thunderous bass tone. If you'd like to hear it in action for yourself, please go to www.myspace.com/nixon and click on any song. What you're hearing, bass-wise, is a cheap, beaten up Mexican Fender Jazz (passive) straight into this exact head. No effects, no overdrives, nothing. I personally think it sounds amazing. Cosmetically, I'd give it an 8, as the Ampeg logo is missing and there are a few small scrapes/tears on the tolex. Still looks pretty great overall.

I am selling it for very cheap, and this is why:

Currently, the amp is in the shop. My tech informed me, after going through it extensively, that it is in need of a full retube. According to my tech, it needs a new output transformer also. Looking at somewhere between $500 and $600 to get the amp running again. Basically, I just don't have the cash to invest in sorting out the maintenance issues with this thing, as I have other more pressing bills (student loans, books, et.al) to worry about. So...I'm offering this amp, as is, for $450 obo. Will not ship. If you live within reasonable driving distance from Louisville, Kentucky, we can probably work out a meet up.

I will entertain trades: This is my personal "wish list:"

-Ampeg V-4B, V-4, V-2, VT-22, or VT-40. If you have a '71-'78 SVT head, I'll trade you this amp plus cash.

-Orange Tiny Terror in excellent condition.

-Silvertone 1483 or 1484 with matching cab.

I almost forgot to mention: it comes with the matching slip cover, to protect it from dust, rain, etc.

PM me if interested. I'd really love to acquire a 70's SVT or V-4B more than anything else. Thanks!

• Members

No, still up for grabs. My amp tech informed me that the output transformer will need replacing to operate at 100% capacity. Considering that these usually sell for at least $1,000 if not more, I think $450 is very reasonable. However, I am still entertaining all offers, and the trades I have listed above. With a little work, this amp could be restored to its full glory.

• Members

Hi, I have a ? I have a SVT II PRO. It's a USA 07 model. I have the same buzz as you described coming off of standby. I brought it to my tech and he said that it was normal and I also called AMPEG and they said that it was normal. Mine does not do it all the time. Mostly when first turned on. I just thought I might share this info. Also the out put on mine is in the 290's watt range.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bump for new price drop. $450 or best offer takes it. Please see my list of items above which I would take in trade for this amp. Not really interested in anything else at the moment. Thanks!

Whoever scores this thing and has the money to replace the transformer and power tubes (one bad thing about being a student....too many other bills to worry about) will be one very happy individual. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Still available.

Cliffordicus: I actually already found an early 70's V-4B, but hey, always good to have a second, right? I need to ask my tech about settling with him for the diagnosis work he has put in. After that....I may be interested in doing this trade, though shipping for either amp will be no picnic. I really wanted to avoid it, but...if that's what has to happen, I can probably make it happen.

Archived