I hate my Kurrzweil K2000!

Mad John

• Members

Please help me with this unit, for it is the only one that I have!

I bought it new in 1999 for my studio. I needed realistic piano samples and liked some of the analog synth fat sounds that came with it. Most of the "bell" treble thin 80s sounding stuff, I did not care for. Later I had the orchestral rom put in and all the original sounds were wiped and not replaced.

I am sick of SCROLLING on this thing! I am never inspired and almost always frustrated, because I can never get the sounds that I wanted in the first place, such as:

!. A good Pipe Organ

2.Rhodes and electric pianos

3.Melletron

4. Better pianos

5. deep analog synth sounds/not wimpy thin 80s {censored}!

Where can I find better sounds, but still use the K2000?

Thanks,

• Members

Did you demo the thing before you bought it? It is not a synth for everyone, and it seems it's not one for you. Either search online for bunch of free patches for the K synths or sell your 2000 and get a ROMPLER, because that's too much synth for you. Perhaps a Triton or a Roland module.

• Members

Strange you don't get on with it. In it's day it was THE workstation of choice for many professionals.

I remember having some serious gear lust for one of these back in those days. Could never justify the purchase though, in fact I couldn't even get the money together. Nowadays, you can pick one up for a 10th of the price but the ones I've seen are a bit worn, and it does feel rather dated.

I remember in the reviews that the user interface was highly praised - maybe give the manual another read :D

• Members

I have a K2000 that I bought when they first came out and I still dig it. I had an Akai S1000 before that and the kurz was able to load the Akai samples so it quickly replaced the Akai in my rig.

I also have the orchestral rom and the preset memory.

If you don't like the rom sounds then just think of it as a sampler for the 'real' sounds you're going to record with and maybe just use the rom sounds as a scratch pad for composing.

I used to use the rom sounds to write with and it's brilliant for that because you can assign a bass to one channel, strings to another, piano to another etc. and get your ideas down then later replace the sounds with better ones.

There is a whole universe of sample CDs out there with pianos, mellotrons etc. no problem.

-Sheryl

• Members

My recommendation is to call Sweetwater and/or visit sweetwater.com. they are are an unofficial Kurzweil uber dealer, and have evrything for a Kurz dating before the K2000. Call them and speak with a sales engineer, and perhaps ask for one who's specialty is in the K2000 and evrything about them.... they would be more than happy to help out

Justin

• Members

I have a K2000 and it's stunning. You need to understand the VAST archirecture but it can be easy and potent once you get the hang of it.

Here are some free sounds and sites for K2000 patches: These are all FTP sites so you would need an ftp software like Commander or Smart.

ftp.sweetwater.com/Pub/K2000/files/

ftp.youngchang.com/pub/Kurzweil/Pro_Products

ftp.sweetwater.com/Pub/K2000/Incoming/

• Members

Thank you everyone for the great and helpful suggestions! I have been frustrated with the K2000, it is true. But that is mainly because of all the changes that it has been thru. As I said, I dug many of the Original sounds, but when the Orchestral Rom was installed, the guy at the local Sam's Ass gave me worthless 80s bell sounds. By the way, WHY.......are there so many of those useless things???!!!:eek::rolleyes::mad::confused:

Even the harpsicords sound thin and fake (too much treble ping.)

I apreciate all of the suggestions! I believe I wish to purchase some of those "sample CDs." What is the price range, as I remeber some were quite expensive. Hell, I pay anything to get more realistic sounds.

I am pleased to hear that so many of you enjoy what the K2000 has to offer, that's terrific! However in my case, I am a Composer who plays all the instuments and in the past 5 years, I just don't have the time, nor patience for SCROLLING thru the K2000 teewking it to some desired expression of sound. That might sound fickle, but my frustration with the instrument is based on not being happy with the SETUP instruments, not being able to take then serious enough to where I really know them like any other instrument that you have come to know over a period of time.

I will try Sweetwater, thank you Justin! And I will try those CDs. Any recomendations for Melletron/Organ/Rhodes?

On a last note, has anyone ever made sence out of the Kurzweil Manuals? Those things are like a European road map. How about that stupied video that came with the keyboard....what was that all about? I could't make head or tails to what those NERDS were trying to display!

:confused:

Cheers,

• Members

I know you aren't asking to buy any new equipment, but I would strongly recommend checking out a Kurzweil PC2r. You can use your K2000 as the controller which would work quite well - and you can still add libraries as you find ones you like. The PC2 has

beutifull preset sounds (all the bread-and-butter sounds needed

for composing) which you don't need to waste time tweaking.

Since you already have the Orchestral Rom on your K2000 you can buy the base model PC2r (it too can use the Orchstral ROM

option) which can be found for around $400 used. The pianos, electric pianos, and organs are terrific (although only a few pipe organs), the drums are fantastic, basses and strings very good, and it has some really thick pads and synths. There are not a ton of sounds on them, but they are all good. For the synth sounds that you want to add you can pick up the original Kurzweil sample

collections for about $10 a crack on eBay. Or check out those sites

that were listed earlier.

I am currently using a PC2x (88 weighted version), a PC2r (for

extra polyphony and taking to gigs), a maxed-out K2000 with

over 5000 sounds, as well as some other keyboards for special

uses. I love my K2000 but the PC2 is a great composing tool.

• Members

The K2000 is a powerful axe but sometimes may need some TLC to make it do what you want it to do. VAST is tremendously flexible - although I realise this per se is not an argument; only good sounds are.

There's a wealth of sounds to be found online. Visit Tony Palermo's k2users.org for sound sites, programming tips and much more. And join Sonikmatter's forums to ask all your questions on the K2 series.

Archived