1999/Sussudio sound

• Members

Has anyone got an idea how to obtain the typical 1999/Sussudio synth sound from an average ROMpler?

I know the 1999 sound was some sort of Oberheim sound, but the Oberheim brass sounds in my ROMplers (Yamaha S30, Roland RS-9) don't nail the sound, so perhaps some tweaking tips could help.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

It's more of a fat sawtooth sort of sound. Try replacing the wave form in the sound on the rompler with a saw wave, and open up the filter some. You might need to adjust the envelope a bit too so it doesn't have a brassy attack, more of a direct attack.

• Members

Yank an Aural Exciter over it, so the highs stand out more. I assume that most of the 80's stuff didn't care about sounddesign per se - just find a good preset and go with it.

4 'elements' - 2 saw '16, 2 saw '8, with +/- 1 or 2 fine-tune should do the trick.

• Members

I play "1999" now and then. For this, I made a split consisting of two sawtooth patches on my Nord Lead 3, one with the filter fully open and one with a more mellow sound. The "1999" sound is two saw brass parts with the brighter sounding one played when there

Archived