OT: The Nature of your Nicks

• Members

It seems there are alot of interesting nicknames on this forum, anyone care to elaborate or tell a great story about how and why you have your nickname..... I'd start but I have no story to tell, It just popped into my head when signing up for this forum, and it shows :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was 16 I got arrested for building bombs. I didn't build them to hurt people, but for amusement, it was just mischief. I lit one off in this kid's front yard that I didn't like and I got busted. Everybody at school started calling me Kaboom or Boom for short. I was pretty crazy in my younger days.

• Members

I liked Scooby Doo as a kid, but when I first had AOL, ScoobyFan was taken as a screen name, so I settled for ScubyFan. Years later, I signed up with email services, forums, and the such, so I used the same name to keep it simple. :D

• Members

No cool story here. The Audacity Works is the name of my studio, and has been since '93, when I had less gear than p120dUdE. Guess we've always called them "studios". ;)

Hence, it has nothing to do with the software app "Audacity", which came out many years later, though I suspect many here assume some connection.

• Members

Originally posted by Boom

When I was 16 I got arrested for building bombs. I didn't build them to hurt people, but for amusement, it was just mischief. I lit one off in this kid's front yard that I didn't like and I got busted. Everybody at school started calling me Kaboom or Boom for short. I was pretty crazy in my younger days.

Now thats the kind of story I was talking about, great stuff :)

• Members

Yoozer is the phonetical version of the standard /usr directory in any Unix/Linux system. Not that I pretend to know jack {censored} about Unix/Linux, albeit that I desperately want to.

(I can get away with some goofy stuff in Cygwin, which is a Linux commandline emulator)

I chose it after the earlier "AlphaNine" I had, when I found out that the domain name was already taken. Anyway, someone nicked the Yoozer-domain name too, so I have looked for another name, but I'm not.. 'implementing' it yet, as in using it on forums. I mean, "Yoozer" has been my name for so long already that it's hard to get it off. Plus, nobody'd know me anymore if I would switch :).

• Members

Well, I like to think of myself as a dreamer, meaning that most of times I don't like what I see around me and try to imagine how things could otherwise be.

I know that being labeled as a "dreamer" can be dangerous, meaning that you are a dropout kind of guy, unable to cope or to adapt yourself to reality.

But there is also a different kind of dreamer: the one who struggles hard to change the reality and make the world a different place.

(I admit that it's not so easy, though...) ;)

• Members

I've been studying computer science since I was 16 or so, and I've been dancing (popping) just as long. One of my friends, konee rok (interesting story behind his name, check out his amazing hip hop videos at www.koneerok.com ) started calling me Array because he says that I am like an array of random information. It stuck as my popping name (Mr. Array is cool too), and I also use it as my alias online.

Edit:

A picture of Mr. Array in all of his funktified glory:

http://students.depaul.edu/~dshklyar/the_hat.JPG

• Members

this happened way back when i was signing up for either AOL or prodigy. forget which exactly.. but you know those ISP CDs that come in the mail. they have rubber cement holding the CDs to the cardboard and holding the cardboard flaps together. the shape, when you peel the strips of rubber cement off, is similar to that of a tapeworm. it was kind of a fluke. i was desperate for a name and came up with flukewurm on the spot.

i also keep it because i really enjoy the human element and/or chance sounds (feedback, chance music, self generative sounds) in music. thats what keeps things intersting. i dont particularly like clean sounding production.

• Members

DimensionalTraveler wouldn't fit when I signed up here, so I had to shorten it. I think the name speaks for itself. And if it doesn't, indulge in some entheogenic substances and let your mind wander.

Some interesting stories here. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Array

I think he's just showing us the shocker
:D
Two in the pink, one in the stink!!!

A few hours before that picture I read about how some highschool kids all made that gesture for their picture in the yearbooks - including the girls.

After about 60 pictures the school staff began to wonder what it meant. After consulting (who else) some students, they found it out. The pictures were censored, and a principal had to make a rather embarassing explanatory speech to the parents on what the gesture meant, and why the pictures were removed.

Or so I recall.

Oh wait, there we go. Ain't Google wonderful?

Archived