Singing in a harsh voice

Neole

• Members

You know that harsh voice that some rock/metal singers use, and the voice used by the male singer in the Aqua songs (Barbie Girl etc). When I try to sing like that I start coughing. Is there a technique to that or do you have (or not have) that ability naturally?

EDIT:

Here's a sample of the vocals Im talking about -

www.2dadventure.com/stuff/songs/0HarshVoiceSample.mp3 - 230 Kb mp3

• Members

No Im not talking of the harsh quality of the voice.

These guys can sing in perfectly normal tones but then they can also sing in a rasping voice, Im not sure how to describe it, but it puts a lot of strain on the vocal cords (for me at least) and I cant even suing a complete sentence in this voice. Its the 'Ken' voice in the Barbiegirl song (and most other Aqua songs), or the male voice in the E-type song 'I just wanna be with you' etc. Im pretty sure its not a smoking or screaming voice result.

• Members

Every voice is different and can be pulled in different directions, some voices go in that raspy direction. Mine does if I go high but for the most part I've just got a deep blues voice. When I go for the harsh thing I hurt my voice and can't transition back to the smooth stuff. Just the way it goes sometimes.

• Members

It is a technique that can be learned. I do think some people can do it more easily than others but there is a way to learn to do that and get to where it isn't too uncomfortable but I think in general it's not good for you in the long run.

I have seen articles about this. You might try 'getsigned.com' or do a google search for resources for singers.

I have been able to do that raspy thing on recordings but it was very difficult for me.

-Sheryl

• Members

Those are harsh vocals? I thought this would be more about that awefull growly stuff that Pantera and their horrible ilk partake in, or the not awefull but still harsh and rasy vocal stylings of Raymond Watts. Try singing along to KMFDM's "Brute" and see if your throat survives:D .

By the way, I didn't mean this as a "you think that's bad? Well, let me tell YOU somethin'..." kind of reply, but I guess it kind of looks that way. Sorry.

How's this for an answer- they have naturally deep voices, but are trained enough to do the higher stuff when they want to.

I had a friend in high school in the (ugh) Jazz Choir who could sing so deep it was more like a rumble than musical, but could do the mid range stuff just fine as well. Just takes practice. And, in the case of professional recordings, a pitch-shifter doesn't hurt, either;) .

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

No Im not talking of the harsh quality of the voice.

These guys can sing in perfectly normal tones but then they can also sing in a rasping voice, Im not sure how to describe it, but it puts a lot of strain on the vocal cords (for me at least) and I cant even suing a complete sentence in this voice. Its the 'Ken' voice in the Barbiegirl song (and most other Aqua songs), or the male voice in the E-type song 'I just wanna be with you' etc. Im pretty sure its not a smoking or screaming voice result.

See Kim's post above. Practicing screaming can help. Much like practicing singing, guitar playing, piano playing, etc. The more you do it, the easier it is. And if you work on it without the smokng and hard liquor, then it will be easier to switch from a clean vocal to scream/raspy vocal.

• Members

Originally posted by Etcher

Those are harsh vocals? I thought this would be more about that awefull growly stuff that Pantera and their horrible ilk partake in, or the not awefull but still harsh and rasy vocal stylings of Raymond Watts. Try singing along to KMFDM's "Brute" and see if your throat survives:D .

Or the original master of harsh, raspy vocals:

http://www.csygames.com/ao/mp3/tom.mp3

Definitely the smokes and hard liquor method.

Archived