OT: Martha, My Dear!

b3keys

• Members

Originally posted by b3keys

Five months in the big house, two years probation and a $30,000 fine. She got off very light!

In a Federal Prison. (ie Country Club). She should've at least been forced to pay the amount that she made from illegally trading the stock.

• Members

ha. i hope she finds a nice cellmate that will swap her commisary money for protection and "love". then she'll get out wearing corn-rows and men's clothing with " Property of La Tisha" branded into her leg with a hot clothes hanger.

• Members

Originally posted by b3keys

Five months in the big house, two years probation and a $30,000 fine. She got off very light!

That's an understatement. There was talk of her spending a year and a half in the big house, and even that I thought was light. For some reason (other than the wealth, power, connections, etc.), white collar crimes are not interpreted alongside "regular" crimes of murder, rape, whatever, and it's a shame. While not the same thing, 5 months for something like this is laughable.

• Members

Originally posted by FINGERFUNK

In a Federal Prison. (ie Country Club). She should've at least been forced to pay the amount that she made from illegally trading the stock.

I don't think it was much money at all--at least not by her standards. Certainly less than a hundred grand. They busted her for lying about it, though. That's the irony of it all--she's blown her own company out of the water over the kind of money she probably loses in her seat cushions.

• Members

I spent a little time in one of those; actually had the same judge. Believe me it is no Country Club. I'm glad she got popped but don't just look at the sentence and say its "light." When you go through something like this there are a lot of other things involved in terms of the price: lost time in litigation, lost time waiting to be sentenced, a fortune in legal fees, etc. and a wrecked career.

• Members

Originally posted by pgunders

I don't think it was much money at all--at least not by her standards. Certainly less than a hundred grand. They busted her for lying about it, though. That's the irony of it all--she's blown her own company out of the water over the kind of money she probably loses in her seat cushions.

I read that it was about $140,000.00 (chump change for her) but, that's more than $30,000.

I spent a little time in one of those; actually had the same judge. Believe me it is no Country Club. I'm glad she got popped but don't just look at the sentence and say its "light." When you go through something like this there are a lot of other things involved in terms of the price: lost time in litigation, lost time waiting to be sentenced, a fortune in legal fees, etc. and a wrecked career.

Compared to regular prison (general population), it's a Country Club. I've seen people get more time than that for petty theft.

• Members

Let's get this straight: I don't give a rat's ass about Martha one way or another.

But I'd like to see someone, anyone, near the top of our socio-economic hierarchy receive the same penalty for corruption here, as they do(did?) in China: DEATH!

If anyone must be executed by our justice system, I'd rather see someone from this privileged class die for a change.

But I guess this kind of penalty is reserved exclusively for those at the bottom of the barrel.

• Members

Originally posted by nSCOURGE

Let's get this straight: I don't give a rat's ass about Martha one way or another.

But I'd like to see someone, anyone, near the top of our socio-economic hierarchy receive the same penalty for corruption here, as they do(did?) in China:
DEATH!

But I guess this kind of penalty is reserved exclusively for those at the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah, someone from Enron should at MINIMUM get life in prison for ruining the lives of so many of their employees....

• Members

Yeah, the penal system in China doesn't take any prisoners. (Literally, it just executes people!) LOL

I remember reading about these two guys in China who concocted this eleborate bank heist that involved a remote wireless terminal hidden in the bank. After hours, they transferred about $100,000 to their own accounts.

If caught in America, I'm sure they would be convicted and serve 5-10 or whatever. But people would love to read about it...probably end up in a Wired Magazine story. Americans love elaborate heists...both for the ingenuity and the sense of sticking it to the man. They'd get released after serving their time and probably get great jobs in the security industry al la' Keven Mitnick.

In China, they were just sentenced to death. What a waste of good(albeit criminal) minds.

• Members

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0716043martha1.html

What a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE human being she is. Can you people believe the nerve of that woman? "Boohoohoo! I'm too rich for prison! Let me go!".

I hope she gets penalized for this letter. Isnt it illegal to do something like this outside of court? Shouldnt she have made these statements when she had a chance during sentencing?

• Members

I never understood wtf the big deal was. If any of you invested in some company and a friend of yours who worked for the company said "hey yo dawg, you know them shares you own in big dicked midgets INC? Well, you might want to sell those right now", You'd drop those shares fast.

You wouldnt go "hey! thats not very cool! Im going to keep these stocks because its the right thing to do! Im a patriot!!!!". Youd sell fast.

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

I never understood wtf the big deal was. If any of you invested in some company and a friend of yours who worked for the company said "hey yo dawg, you know them shares you own in big dicked midgets INC? Well, you might want to sell those right now", You'd drop those shares fast.

You wouldnt go "hey! thats not very cool! Im going to keep these stocks because its the right thing to do! Im a patriot!!!!". Youd sell fast.

It's called insider trading and its VERY illegal. If everyone could do that, the public would very quickly lose faith in the stock market, and the American economy may as well be called Big Dicked Midgets INC.

• Members

I know its very illegal. The person that actually provided the information should be the one going to federal pound me in the ass penitentiary though.

if you were in her shoes and a 'friend' told you bad things about a company you had invested in and recomended that you sell your stocks, what would you do?

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

I know its very illegal. The person that actually provided the information should be the one going to federal pound me in the ass penitentiary though.

if you were in her shoes and a 'friend' told you bad things about a company you had invested in and recomended that you sell your stocks, what would you do?

If I was an average Joe holding stock, and if someone gave me a tip that the stock was about to tank, I would hold on to the stock and hope that it recovers. I say this because, as an average Joe, I KNOW that if I was cought I would definately spend a lot more time than 5 months in federal pound me in the ass prison.

Martha is in all of this trouble because someone told her that Erbitux, ImClone's colon cancer drug, was not going to be FDA approved. The irony of it is that Erbitux WAS FDA approved, and its now making ImClone tons of cash. The idiot formel CEO Sam Waxel is in Jail right now due to the fact that he was convicted on charges relating to this Martha Stewart debacle. I hope Martha rots in there with him.

• Members

Is she had just kept her mouth shut, she wouldnt have been in this trouble, she was'nt required to talk to the Feds but she did voluntarily.

Always take your lawyers advice and keep your mouth shut!

Anything you say can and will be used against you. (In a Court of Law) Gee, where have i heard that before?

That being said the media loves to kick 'em when their down , so to speak, and I'm sure she is literally kicking herself for this.

However, in order for there to be a true crime there has to be a victim and I think the biggest victim is Martha herself. Kinda like GWBush, she is her own worst enemy. I think we can sum it up thusly: The bigger they are, the harder they fall. 'Nuff said?

• Members

Originally posted by midi

Is she had just kept her mouth shut, she wouldnt have been in this trouble, she was'nt required to talk to the Feds but she did voluntarily.

quite the opposite from what I heard.

she is in all this trouble because she didnt talk. She didnt cooperate so they didnt help her.

If she did say "yeah he told me about the stock so I sold, Im sorry." I doubt she would be going to jail.

Archived