Valenti 5-string bass #15 - "Poon" bass - Excellent Plus condish

vicenzajay

• Members

Okay - after 6-7 years of trying out oodles of basses (and tons of other gear), I am in the phase of winnowing down everything I own music-related to what I am actually using. I've had numerous other for-sale threads in the other forums as well...and there will be more.

Bass was my first instrument - have been playing for well over 20 years, and I'm still fortunate enough to be actively gigging at my age. Thus it is going to be really hard to let some of these instruments go. Nevertheless, I have too many instruments, and some hard choices had to be made.

This bass was made by Nino of Valenti basses for Steve Poon ("Poon" over on Talkbass). The control layout was designed by Steve and Nino together and formed the template for several more of Nino's creations. Let me just say that Nino is an AWESOME bass-builder and great all-around guy - he has been a class act for every single person with whom he comes in contact. This instrument was quite the "talk" of Talkbass when it came out, and here is the link to Steve's review of the bass (quite thorough):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199550

Here are the Specs of the bass as well:

Specs:

Swamp Ash Body

Flamed Maple top with black accent line (the accent line is no longer offered as an option by Nino)

Maple neck with Ebony fretboard

Abalone Dots

Aguilar OBP-3

Nordstrand Dual Coil Pickups

Black Hardware

HipShot A Style Bridge

HipShot UltraLite Tuning Gears

Contoured heel for easier access to the upper frets

Schaller Straplocks

Note - the bass is strung with Sadowsky blue label steel strings.

Bottom line is that this bass is LOADED with top options/hardware/pickups/etc. and would cost well over 2 grand new from Nino (please contact him directly if you'd like a quote - I HIGHLY recommend his instruments and he will never fail to impress!).

The condition of the bass is exactly as I received it from Steve Poon about four years ago. It was sold to me as "mint" - and I have not put a single mark on it. I am ULTRA anal retentive about my instruments and gear - this instrument has had at least 20 coats of polish put on the finish, and it has been kept incredibly clean. Having said that, I am (as I said) very particular, and I did find a few marks on the bass four years ago when it arrived. There is a very light indentation on the headstock near the tuner for the 4th string. It did not come through on the headstock photo. There are some very light finish swirls if you get down to with a couple of inches from the finish and get the light just right - completely un-photographable. There is a small rubbed section on the "u" of the truss rod cavity access.

That's it - other than that this is perfect - a VERY fast custom-radiused neck that has to be felt to be believed. Fretwork is in great condition. It comes in a black gigbag that fits it very nicely.

I'm going to take a hit on this for price, new (lowered) price of $1400. That does not include shipping, but I won't charge more than actual shipping/insurance in addition to that price. This price does not include fees, so if you need to use Paypal, please pm and we'll discuss.

On to the pictures:

Valenti15forsale011.jpg

Valenti15forsale003.jpg

Valenti15forsale001.jpg

Valenti15forsale006.jpg

Valenti15forsale012.jpg

Valenti15forsale010.jpg

Valenti15forsale009.jpg

Valenti15forsale002.jpg

• Members

btw, is the neck finished on this one?

The neck is not finished (or, actually, is done in a "satin" finish). If you read Steve Poon's talkbass threads on this bass, the neck was (after the purchase) custom carved by a notable luthier to radius the neck like a Sadowsky flatter profile. The satin-finishing was preserved in the process. It is, no kidding, like butter on the hands to play. Very fast, smooth, and (if it makes sense) "a well-finished woody feel".

Here's another photo of the bass in action (stage lighting was darker, so there you have it). This is just 10 days ago:

Valentiatwork.jpg

• Members

Tubewatts,

That's a great offer - very nice amp!

I am, however, set for amps at this point, and I'm trying really hard to curb the GAS and sell things that are not being used.

Thanks in any case!

Jay

bump for the bass, folks - got one guy in Seattle who is kicking the tires....let me know if you're interested.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived