'82 Ibanez Blazer bass body refinishing project - already stripped and grain-filled

TimBosby

• Members

Note - neck is sold, body still available!

Another project I've decided to abort, but I hope someone will pick up where I've left off (I've done most of the difficult stuff already.) This thread is for the body. Neck already to another TBer.

This body is that of an '82 Ibanez Blazer (made in Japan.) I believe it is mahogany with an ash top. It was originally a translucent purple, but, after many hours with dangerous cancer-causing chemicals in my garage (with the garage door wide open, a respirator breathing mask, goggles, and rubber gloves, of course) I managed to strip off the heavy clear poly finish and purple paint. It was not fun, but I did it just to say I could. You can still see some light purple stains here and there, and there is a purple square of finish underneath where the bridge goes, as well as purple finish in the neck pocket and control cavity. Obviously these areas will be covered once all the parts and hardware are in place. Neck pocket is a hair narrower than a Fender neck pocket - it's made to fit a neck that is about 2 and 7/16" wide.

I was planning on going the whole way with refinishing, but winter came, I got sidetracked, and lost interest. I DID sand and grain-fill the body, as well as apply two coats of sand-and-sealer. The refinishing process is about halfway done (I was going off what http://www.reranch.com had to say) but the most difficult part (stripping that horrible old finish) is done. The steps that remain for a total refin are:

Sand the body, add another coat of sand-and-sealer, re-sand, and then add a final coat of sand-and-sealer, then sand again.

Apply white primer (optional), apply color coat, and apply clear coat. Sanding as necessary in between, of course.

Or you could just leave it sand-and-sealer/grain-filling brown like it is right now if you prefer :) This body is obviously constructed from several pieces of laminate wood, though, and would probably look best with a solid, translucent, or burst finish. My original plan was Fender vintage blonde, which later changed to Lake Placid blue, which then changed to "I give up."

I will include all the original parts with the body. I recently polished the bridge meticulously with Brasso. While still pitted in places, it looks much better now than in the pictures. Also included are the original strap buttons, original white pickguard with original volume/tone pots (I also cleaned the pickguard with Goo-gone and that crud in the photos came right off - it looks nice now). I will throw in the original Precision-style pickups. I have the pickups pictured with the original black covers they came in, but I'll throw in the cream covers shown as well (cream covers are not original and are a little too big for the pickguard, but you can have them if you wish.)

Note: the neck plate and tuners were already sold, with the neck.

Everything for $115 shipped - lower 48 preferred. Money order, Paypal fine.

Some pics below. All pics here.

IbanezBlazerProjectBody006.jpg?t=1269109

IbanezBlazerProjectBody002.jpg?t=1269109

IbanezBlazerProjectBody001.jpg?t=1269109

• 2 weeks later...

Archived