What does a Korg Poly-61M sound like??

• Members

Hm, an improvement on the original Polysix with 2 oscillators... I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the oscillator-modulating effects at work, and you're right - the Gong sound is really cool! Reminds me of the SID gong in The Last Ninja.

(see also attachment)

• Members

A bit of history...the Poly 61 was $500 cheaper than the Polysix and attracted a lot of first time buyers, but the Polysix guys I knew held on to them and didn't trade...they didn't think the overall sound was an improvement and were put off by the interface and the fact that there were so few memory locations for paramater settings...one guy actually counted the number of filter cutoff memory slots and came up with seven or eight. So the filter's analog, right...and you set it where you want it, but when you save your settings it will be in a different position when you recall the patch.

• Members

I bought a poly61 brand spanking new "back in the day." I quickly found myslef wishing I had gotten a poly 6. THe poly 6 was more expensive, and this was the first poly synth I bought. I had (have) my sh-101 before the poly 61.

the filter had that zipper effect if you changed it live from the front panel, but the modulation didnt do that to it.

One could do decent sounds with it. I got a usable organ from it in the mid-80s. I was able to do some interesting sound effects with it. It wasnt great, it didnt suck. I got mine xmas '83, a friend got a juno 106 the next year (I know it was an inexpensive roland, I think it was the 106) and I rather liked the juno over the 61.

Mine has gone drastically out of tune with itself and most of the key contacts have stopped working. Its in my closet right now, the keyboard unattached. Every now and then I take it out to see if I can fix the keyboard.

• Members

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/keyclean.html

Go there to learn about fixing the keybed. It's the same exact one. Does it still have the original battery? TAKE IT OUT IF IT DOES!

I used to have a Poly 61. It was my main gigging board for many moons. Very dirty Korg sound, which I love. Very limited in what it can do, though. I'd say it's just about as phat as the Polysix, but that's because of the extra osc. They're not the same kind of phat. Love the Korg joystick, too. I would love to get another one to see what kind of funky mods can be made to it.

• 15 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived