FS: 2010 Dingwall Super J Olympic White, Morado, Aguilar pre, ALL original case/candy

ac3320

• Members

Trades...

Please, please, NO trades UNLESS it is one of these two items. If it's not, please do not inquire about your item anyways, as that's just wasting both our time!

1. Fender American Vintage '62 Jazz Bass in 3TS ONLY, or

2. Fender American Vintage '62 Precision Bass in Olympic White

Please, please, PLEASE do NOT PM me with ANY other trade offers as it will cause the earth to explode. Thanks for understanding :)

History

I JUST bought this 2010 Dingwall Super J in Olympic White from a dealer. It is in pristine/mint/perfect condition, save for what looks to be a finish chip near where the control plate meets the body (pictured toward the bottom). It has the now discontinued Aguilar OBP-1 preamp with Dingwall's hybrid treble knob.

Lots of reviews out there, and there's a thread here in which I recount some details about picking it up less than a month ago (!) Some others posted their thoughts on the tones and such.

It is one sweet sounding bass let me tell ya, but was more of an impulse buy, and I miss having an AV62 jazz bass :/ It's definitely the most 'perfect' fit/finished bass I've had -- it's boutique-level for sure, and hand-made in Canada. With the exception of the hardware that is made by Hipshot, and the preamp which is made by Aguilar, everything is done in house. Pretty killer stuff!

One interesting note is that for 2010, Dingwall stopped using the Tung oil/wax method of finishing the necks. They have gone to a satin polyurethane finish because quality issues with the Tung oil they had been using. Luckily, this bass has the oil/wax finish and let me tell you, if you have never experienced an oil/wax'd neck, it's the SMOOTHEST finish you can have. Now, you can't just bang it around, but it is so much quicker than satin (poly OR nitro). I love it!

Sound

Overall it does a very convincing traditional Jazz bass sound. I would say that in passive mode, it's quite like my old alder/rosewood Fenders, except that this bass currently has [the stock] GHS ML5200 (stainless steel), so it sounds brighter than most basses I've had in a while. In active mode, it can do a pretty good Marcus Miller tone as well.

The hybrid treble knob is a neat feature, as it allows a non stacked pot setup, and with his proprietary knobs, it kinda sets the control plate apart from other builders like Sadowsky, Nordstrand, and Lull. It kinda gives the bass a modern touch (but retains the control plate, so it's still vintage-looking at heart).

Here are a couple youtube videos a friend took of me playing the Super J at church a couple days ago:

Beautiful One (Tim Hughes)

(Hillsong United)

For both videos, the bass settings were as follows: volume maxed, rotary on parallel mode, treble boosted just a *tad*, bass boosted maybe 1/3 of the way. Played through an Aguilar DB 750 with the gain around 1-2, treble flat, mids cut to 10-11, bass boosted to 1-2, and master around 11. Cabinet was an Ampeg 410-HLF with the tweeter turned off.

And here is the youtube video that pretty much sealed the deal for me:

Includes

It comes with the neoprene Dingwall (Levy's) gigbag, which is quite nice as well. Very plush on the inside and very well padded in there. Has a little pocket that's big enough for most micro amps, and plenty room for cords, a tuner, etc.

Also includes the Dingwall "Case Candy" which is basically a little manual outlining the controls, the care & feeding guide, and all the color-coded adjustment wrenches.

Price

Fully new these are $2955 direct from Dingwall, and from a dealer maybe around $2800 if you can really haggle with them.

Here is this pristine example of 'Jazz bass on steroids' perfection for only

• 2 weeks later...

Archived