Sign in to follow this  
Is.

Anybody have Emulator X? Comments on the library?

Hey, I have an E-MU 1820, and I'm considering upgrading to Emulator X. What I'm curious is about is the included library. Mainly, I'm interested in -

1) Drum kits (not loops!) of all kinds (anybody have the Protean Drums ROM? Like that!)

2) Synth sounds - both vintage and modern, and both pure waveforms or more basic components and more complete samples of synth patches.

3) Bread n' butter sounds of all kinds

From what I can tell, the included library does have a lot of B&B, and I'm hoping that the drums CD is mostly lifted from the Protean Drums ROM. But things look a bit dim as far as synthy samples go. Does anybody have any recommendations for sample CDs with a good collection of synth stuff? I suppose that the TSCY CD would be a good start.

The reason to by the Emulator X has little to do with the samples that come with it, although the piano is very good. It is a great sampler on its own-think of the top of the line Emu sampler put on a computer. Great features, filters, etc.

If you're going to buy a sampler why would you want the Protean drums? They aren't that great, and you can get much better samples. Consider that Protean is compromised to fit all on a 32mb ROM chip. I have a PX7 for which they are standard, although the ROM burned out I'm not losing sleep about replacing it. Synthy sounds are a dime a dozen on sample disks, although with the Emulator X you can make anything sound "synthy."

But since you already have an 1820 getting the Emulator X is a no-brainer. You can't go wrong or get a better sampler for that.

Well, the sampler doesn't do me any good without a library (for the context in whcih I will most often use it), and I am on a very limited budget, so the included sample library is very important to me.

I also *like* the protean drums ROM a lot. I have a PX-7 as well (also vintage ROM), and all of those samples really do a lot for my music. Unfortunately, because of some financial issues, I'm considering moving all soft, or at least mostly soft, with maybe a couple very cheap secondhand synths. But even disregarding the quality of protean drums, the question remains - are there any sample libraries comparable to what protean drums offers, i.e. a thorough variety of acoustic and electronic kits including a lot of miscellaneous percussion? I mean...I'm sure there are, but which are the best?

There are a huge variety of samples out there, so you can go by price. The thing is Emulator will read any of them. Others may have some specific recommendations.

Originally posted by cybermooks

There are a huge variety of samples out there, so you can go by price. The thing is Emulator will read any of them. Others may have some specific recommendations.

Yeah, I know there are lots of samples out there, that's why I'm asking which ones are quality and would suit my needs. I can't just go out buying every sample CD out there to see which I like, many of those are actually illegal to resell. I still know nothing more about the E-mu sample library than I did when I started this thread. It sounds like you have Emulator X, and it sounds like you've got some libraries you like. So why are you being stingy with the info?

i had the excat same question and didnt get a answer...

i

there was a review on keybaord mag....

theres somebody here that has the emu x ...

ai only heard about how good the pianos are .

they ehre saying also that some patches didnt translate well..

you can ask on www.keyboardonline.com forum....

i m preatty shuere you will get a answer that you are looking for..

maybe you could buy kompatk (ni) a really nice library for

a good price..

but you are right almost nobody talks about the library of emu x..

I can't tell you about the libraries that come with the XSampler because other than the piano I haven't bothered to load them up. The stuff that comes with samplers is usually too generic for me, but I will load them and try them and let you know.