Official Effects Good Deal/Bad Deal Sticky!

Ara Ajizian

• Members

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to good deals/bad deals on these forums. A vast majority of the deals made using these forums go down with no problems at all. Occasionally we do get a bad one though. Please, if you have a beef with someone, don't post their personal information on these forums without their consent! All that's necessary is "I had a good deal/bad deal with (insert username)."

Thanks!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best way to avoid getting ripped off is to use safe and smart ways to transact. This is common sense - but I'll throw some ideas out there.

1. Is the person a minor? If so, do they have parental permission to sell the item? A valid question if mom or dad actually paid for the item...

2. Do they take Paypal? If not, you are at risk of losing your money. As much as paypal has cost - there is protection. Offer to pay the fees on paypal (it's only 3%). I'd much rather pay an extra $9.00 than be out $300. If they refuse PP - ask yourself how much are you willing to gamble. My amount is about $25.

3. Can you find this person via search engine? Is their address something you can verify? Can you find a home (land line) phone number? A throw away cell phone is the scammer's best friend.

4. Instincts - use them. If someone is selling a Mint Gibson Les Paul Classic for $750 here - when they go for $1500 on ebay - ask yourself why and walk.

5. Trades- avoid if possible. If folks want to trade - do a buy and sell and use paypal. If one party cuts and runs - your credit card company and paypal will be there to get your money back. Plus - paypal is going to be more resourceful in tracking the thief down since they will be out the money after your CC does a chargeback. If you can't verify the other party's address and land line phone - trade with caution.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mibeaulieu

View Post

The best way to avoid getting ripped off is to use safe and smart ways to transact. This is common sense - but I'll throw some ideas out there.

1. is the person a minor? If so, walk.

2. Do they take Paypal? If not, you are at risk of losing your money. As much as paypal has cost - there is protection. Offer to pay the fees on paypal (it's only 3%). I'd much rather pay an extra $9.00 than be out $300. If they refuse PP - ask yourself how much are you willing to gamble. My amount is about $25.

3. Can you find this person via search engine? Is their address something you can verify? Can you find a home (land line) phone number? A throw away cell phone is the scammer's best friend.

4. Instincts - use them. If someone is selling a Mint Gibson Les Paul Classic for $750 here - when they go for $1500 on ebay - ask yourself why and walk.

5. Trades- avoid at all cost. If folks want to trade - do a buy and sell and use paypal. If one party cuts and runs - your credit card company and paypal will be there to get your money back. Plus - paypal is going to be more resourceful in tracking the thief down since they will be out the money after your CC does a chargeback.

ehh I think rule #1 is personal preference...I am 17 and have done a good amount of deals on here and I pack things better than some I have recieved, I ship in a very quick manner and I've had nothing but easy transactions with people. Adults can be just as misleading and dirty as people my age, it just all comes down to trustworthiness.thumb.gif

• Members

sorry about the minor thing. Under the law, minors cannot enter into contracts (legally) so if I'm dealing with a 15 year old - I'm at a legal disadvantage because the courts are not going to hold him accountable as he/she is a minor....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso Forgottso

View Post

dude, rule #1 and #5 are total bull{censored}.

Nope. Like it's been said, if you're under 18 you can't legally enter a contract and it becomes a mess. (However, if you claim to NOT be a minor then it doesn't apply.) And trading is not safe because it's usually "hey let's ship at the same time something that isn't easily trackable and doesn't require ties to any confirmed address or bank accounts."

• Members

View Post

I meant that it's ridiculous because he's purposely trying to make it so that people like me simply cannot trade anymore because they listen to him! What the {censored} does he think teenagers are? Does he think that all we do is listen to Rock & Roll and steal things? Now I get where this whole "rebel" bull{censored} comes from. This forum isn't a place for suspicious clowns like you and he.

Calm down, I don't think he was generalizing us minors as bad people who will {censored} u over...he's just sayin there's less of a chance to cover his ass lol.

• Members

View Post

I meant that it's ridiculous because he's purposely trying to make it so that people like me simply cannot trade anymore because they listen to him! What the {censored} does he think teenagers are? Does he think that all we do is listen to Rock & Roll and steal things? Now I get where this whole "rebel" bull{censored} comes from. This forum isn't a place for suspicious clowns like you and he.

Relax man, people can trade with whoever they want. All I did was put some ideas out there to help people avoid getting ripped off. Your profanity laced responses don't reflect well on you as a trader - you are basically making my point about dealing with minors. I don't think all teenagers are theives or whatever. The legal rules that pertain to adults (contracts) don't apply to minors. Simple as that.

Bottom line: there are safe ways to transact on this board and there are risky ways to transact. Like it or not, mailing a postal money order to someone is about as safe as mailing cash. Also, if you want to mail your gear via trade to someone because they have a list of names in their signature - have at it -it's a free country. Nine times out of ten it will be fine.... However, if they take your money and or your gear and run, there is little anyone will do to help you get either back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mibeaulieu

View Post

Relax man, people can trade with whoever they want. All I did was put some ideas out there to help people avoid getting ripped off. Your profanity laced responses don't reflect well on you as a trader - you are basically making my point about dealing with minors. I don't think all teenagers are theives or whatever. The legal rules that pertain to adults (contracts) don't apply to minors. Simple as that.

Bottom line: there are safe ways to transact on this board and there are risky ways to transact. Like it or not, mailing a postal money order to someone is about as safe as mailing cash. Also, if you want to mail your gear via trade to someone because they have a list of names in their signature - have at it -it's a free country. Nine times out of ten it will be fine.... However, if they take your money and or your gear and run, there is little anyone will do to help you get either back.

Guy, I hate to break it to you but it's just as easy to get ripped a new one by PAYPAL. Just ask around here!!(Dr. Scottie C, and others).

I'd Like to add that I DON'T TAKE PAYPAL, and I've had a few close calls with people not paying via USPS MONEY ORDER like they said they would. But, I'VE STILL NEVER BEEN TAKEN HERE ON HC.

Really, the only advice i'd give anyone about buying/trading on here is this. Pay attention to how members respond to questions, and get a feel for the kind of guy/gal your dealing with. If need be call and talk with them on the phone.....if something still seem's "not right" about a deal DON"T TAKE IT.

Archived