first keyboard/piano for beginner

om14

• Members

I've just started taking a beginner's piano class at my local community college. This is my first post in the keys forum. I have searched for this topic and read some reviews from different web sites, but my head is spinning from the volume of information available.

Basically, I'm looking for a piano with 88 full size weighted keys. I would like the keys to be sensitive to touch-- i.e. volume of sound depends on how hard I press on the key. Of course, it also needs to sound like a piano :) Price is flexible, but cheaper is better. Only quality and price (for the features I want) are important (basically, good overall value). Brand name isn't that important to me (if that makes any difference). Portability does not matter too much either since I will be playing at home.

I just need some suggestions so that I can narrow my online search and then drop by a few local stores to try out my options.

Thanks for the help,

Omar

• Members

Well, I'll suggest my usual suggestions. If you can swing it, and if portability really isn't an issue, I'd say get the Yamaha P-250. With a stand and extra pedals, it comes to a little under $2000. If price is an issue, you should try the Yamaha P-120. You ought to be able to get one, with a stand, for around the $1000 mark. Either one would be good.

Kiru

• Members

Thanks for the response.

1-2 grand for a keyboard ? Is there anything else with the options I want for say, 500 ? I am a first time player and while I plan to stick with it, I just want something that is an easy transition to a standard acoustic piano (hence, 88 keys, full size, weighted, touch sensitive, somewhat comparable sound, etc.). I don't want a toy or unrealistic feel to the instrument, but I don't need many bells and whistles.

1-2 grand seems like such a large investment... Just in case, what are the usual used re-sale values of such keyboards ? :)

• Members

You'll definately need to go used if you want to get something for $500.00. Try to get a Yamaha if you can. Roland has some nice digital pianos too, and there's enough of them around. Check Ebay a couple times a week to get a feel for what things are going for. Stay away from the pretenders like Casio, and other toys. A used Yamaha P80 or P90, or a used Roland RD600 or RD150 would be a good investment, but I doubt you'll be able to get something you're going to want to keep for a number of years on that tight a budget.

If you could put together a grand, you could get a new Yamaha P120 and you'll have it for years.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

You'll definately need to go used if you want to get something for $500.00. Try to get a Yamaha if you can. Roland has some nice digital pianos too, and there's enough of them around. Check Ebay a couple times a week to get a feel for what things are going for. Stay away from the pretenders like Casio, and other toys. A used Yamaha P80 or P90, or a used Roland RD600 or RD150 would be a good investment, but I doubt you'll be able to get something you're going to want to keep for a number of years on that tight a budget.

If you could put together a grand, you could get a new Yamaha P120 and you'll have it for years.

Mike T.

Thanks for the advice. I completely understand what you are saying. When I was shopping for electric guitars and power amps a few months ago, I wasn't sure whether to buy cheap or spend the extra cash now. I went with the higher quality items and am happy with my decision. For pianos, it's probably more important to choose correctly now (I don't think I want to own more than 1 piano :) ).

• Members

Well...

Initially I thought I gonna get P120 for home playing. I bought one and retured it. Just don't like it's action, Sounds are not the one to cry about, and I need good amplification and stands and more pedals for full setup. Things add up. I finally bought Casio AP38 digital piano..contrary to many, it has very good action keys plus full pedals included. It is cabinet type so convenient for home setup too. Good thing is just half the price of P120. Sounds are not that good. So I bought sound module with the rest of money left from returning P120. I got many good quality sounds and good feel digital piano and the rack adds to my existing keyboard collection also. This way, it is a lot easier to upgrade the setup in the future too since digital pianos tends to obsolete quick. P120 or RD150 is designed for onstage performing with portability in mind.

• Members

Carlo Robelli 88-BK ($700) - semi-weighted keys

Casio AP-31 Digital Console Piano ($700) - naturally-scaled hammer action

Casio AP-33 Digital Console Piano ($700) - naturally-scaled hammer action

Casio Privia PX-100 ($450-$500) - scaled hammer action

Casio Privia PX-300 ($600) - scaled hammer action

Casio PS-20 Celviano ($700) - naturally-scaled hammer action

Kurzweil SP-88 ($700) - semi-weighted keys

Valdesta GX-5 ($500) - fully-weighted keys

Williams Concerto 88-H Digital Console Piano ($500) - hammer action

Williams ETUDE Console Piano ($500) - semi-weighted keys

Yamaha DGX-500 ($550) - piano style keys

Yamaha P-60 ($720-$750) - graded hammer action

• Members

Every once in a while a music store will have a sale that includes a weighted MIDI controller. You might want to explore your options there. I bought an SL-990 for $300, for example. As far as the actual sounds go, I'm assuming you have a computer which would allow for softsynth stuff, and of course there are a few MIDI "hardware" modules that have decent piano sounds. All told, you may get free for less than a grand, but $500 will be a tough mark no matter how you slice it. Also, opinion varies widely about the piano sounds on various products, so test drive before you buy.

- Cpt. Caveman

• Members

Did you buy your Casio in Best Buy or a music store? I've always wondered what you'd do if you bought it at Best Buy and it needed service. I realize they have a service dept., but they would have to send it out for repair. I don't know how long it would take to turn it around or what the window is for a replacement for a failure. Casio got a nice review in KB recently, but I never took them too seriously. If you bought it at a music store, then I'd have to assume that Casio is actually trying to compete for something other than the consumer mass market. That requires an inventory of parts, tech support people, and fast turn around. I don't know enough about what Casio is doing in the professional music realm to make an educated guess.

Some folks don't like the action on Yamaha Pianos. I've heard a few folks say they thought the action is too "heavy". I like the action on my Yamaha ES8, its similar the P series piano in terms of the weight feel. If you get use to playing light action keyboards found on a lot of synths, good luck if you ever try to play a real acoustic piano. :D

Mike T.

• Members

Your guitar analogy is good. Nothing will turn you away from a new experience qucker than crap gear. That goes for everything, not just musical instruments. Give a 200 pound guya crappy bike, and he will expend so much energy on flexing the frame that it will hang in the garage. Go the extra coin and get a good one, and the difference is night and day.

Get a responsive keyboard that feels like piano and sounds good to you. Try to audition on the playback equipment you will be using, be that headphones, an amp you already have or whatever. Find a dealer that will tolerate your meticulous search. Such a vendor is worthy of your money, return traffic and word of mouth recommendations. If they are indifferent or rude, walk, no run, away.

Scour the local want ads, pennysavers, etc. Go on ebay.......take your time. Let your gut guide you.

• Members

Q & A for Miket...

I bought it online as many do these days..

As like other brands, I gonna send it to its service center should I need any repair work. If I bought it at BestBuy, I could return it to them if I have service agreement with them. And most of the time, all they do is to ship the defected product out to service centers too.

The chance of this is quite slim in the warranty period and would cost me one way shipping only(compared to brands that have local service center). What about after warranty period(usually one year) repair? All products you can imagine will COST you big money to fix them. Or you have to buy parts and fix it by yourself. What happened if you can't repair them(especially an item cost over a thousand to buy)?. Sell it as spare parts? Interesting huh? So, brand name simply is not a factor after warranty period.

BTW, real acoustic piano actions(yes.. there are tons of brands out there) are very diverse too. I used to play Baldwin pianos which have smooth lighter actions. Have you ever tried AP series action by yourself yet?

• Members

I use to have the DGX-500 And its not bad at all and now there the old model as DGX-505 is out, so itll prob be round 450. It has weighted keys, that feel like crap compared to MO ES and Roland FX and s90 but its the best to get for that price. IF you can get a Roland or Yammi Digi Piano go for it but there expensive.

You can also buy a Used Piano, an old one....you can find for 500-1000 US.

Archived